• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] negative traits of unhealthy NF

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i consider myself to be a pretty healthy NF,but if i'm under stress or really want something i can be very manipulative and contradicting.
I become like an immature little kid as soon as something stressful comes my way. I pout and say things that i don't really mean. I also feel the need to just scream and throw something sometimes, but thats only when i'm angry.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I also feel the need to just scream

I get that feeling at times, tho I don't have to be angry and it's not something I get all that often, most times it's just from being overwhelmed I guess. I just get this urge to breakdown and scream, but I never actually do, it's just an urge I get and it usually passes after a few minutes, I'm never quite sure just what it is that triggers it. It's just a totally random urge.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a thrower. When in a fit of blinding rage I tend to destroy things.

FYI, these fits were far more frequent in my teen years.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a thrower. When in a fit of blinding rage I tend to destroy things.

FYI, these fits were far more frequent in my teen years.

oh yeah it was a lot worse in my teen years. I was a lot angrier back then(not that it was that long ago). My stepmom had the tendency to push me to the point that i wanted to just break my bedroom window with my fist. Although i never did it.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
When I'm in an unhealthy state and I'm unhappy about something, I typically get spiteful or I sulk. I try to make the offending party feel what I'm feeling. I'm much better at recognizing this behavior than I was a few years ago and I'm trying to stop it, but I do fall back into it on occasion.

I used to have a problem with anger when I was kid, but I learned to control that emotion. I rarely get angry anymore. It usually only happens when I'm driving.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I can get road rage quick, sometimes not even 5minutes after getting on the road, but I think it's more to do with the area I'm in. I'm just so fed up with the people around here that I have no patience for them anymore. I can go to other cities and ignore most of the idiots out on the road without thinking twice about them.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to be curious to a flaw. Where my curiosity has, on more than one occasion, killed what was my blissful ignorance.

There are things that I wish I could unknow.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Manipulative, and find ways to justify it, while never really seeing that they're manipulative. :cry:.

Subjective moralities. There're no black and white principles with an unhealthy one, but shades of gray all the time, depending on how it "makes me feel". And they see nothing wrong with this. Locus is only on self.

Makes trusting one hard. :cry:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
-can be manipulative
-can be needy and always wanting your support, and then get mad when you want their support
-can be selfish
-dishonest

I don't really identify with these as unhealthy states. [And I'm sure a critical observer could pick the next paragraph apart --] The second part especially: I never get angry with friends when they want my support, I love being needed and being able to give back to my friends. It's kind of an honor that someone trusts you enough to turn to you for support and knowing you can make a positive difference. That's what friends are for, yes? I don't even get angry when strangers want my support, even when I say no.

And with 'manipulative' I always get a little vigilant when an non NF, especially an NT says that. 'Manipulation' is in the eye of the beholder and like in that 'help with with my fat, social ENFJ coworker' thread, if you yourself lack good interpersonal skills and confidence, you'll find a lot of people to be manipulative and bullying when they're just being human.

Of course, your ex in the OP sounds like she was unhealthy. Period. And just not a pleasant person to be with. I've actually known someone who had similar behaviors -- whining, being melodramatic and seeking attention and then being really rude when you finally try to give her that attention and claim that "everyone" around her underestimates her. But she was also clinically depressed and on medication.

I dunno, I think there's a point where unhealthiness trumps MBTI. Or should be looked at separately and not pathologically or is just not really relevant to the diagnosis.

Meaning, did the person's type cause their bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and is it an extension of their personality via personalty type? Or is did the disorder/illness plant the seeds of 'personality type' or is otherwise being mistaken for personality type? For instance, a person who is very depressed will exhibit signs that would mask their 'true' personality type, if you believe that someone has a 'true' type at their core.

Maybe my understanding of mental health and disease needs more development, but I don't think that would change my perspective much. Perhaps personality typing adds another dimension to their prognosis, but I think you [can] go beyond the realm MBTI type when it comes to unhealthy behavior and such discussions are no longer helpful.

Bovinity

MBTI Type
INFP
I was about to just list a slew of negative adjectives, but will try and focus around Intuition and Feeling (I'm sadly ignorant about psychology, but I think well acquainted with being "unhealthy"). I would say the unhealthy NF:

- Becomes convinced they're a clairvoyant and mind reader. "This person I just met obviously hates me, it is so clear in their body language!"

- Feels heightened focus on the misery of others and feels responsible and powerless.

- As others have said, inconsolable. Any compliment or advice is quickly dismissed (not always out loud.)

- Needy, develops huge unreasonable expectations of a best friend or significant other.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
chronic navel gazing?

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think this fits me. Man, I must be like a fallen INFP or something.

G

Glycerine

Others haver told me that I'm way too critical of myself, get stressed easily, and get stuck on things but I really don't fit the OP's description.