• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] moving furniture...

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
When I find a place for my stuff... it stays. I am happy.

My friend (and one of my sisters) changes her living room around at least twice a month. It's interesting, but I don't understand what drives her to keep changing things around. I think she's an introvert.

Am I a typical INFP to want to keep my things where they are? She never changes things around at my home, but she has made references that this would look better here or there. I don't want to change things around. I'm always glad when she leaves. (I know, I am not a good friend) My sister has never offered her opinion about where my furniture sits. Yaay!

Okay, I feel better. :yes:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I know that I personally want everything to stay where it is as much as possible. Its rather interesting that someone would want to just change things, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable with that.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm open to suggestions if they will make a real improvement in function. I don't need to move things around for the heck of it or for variety. I'd rather not notice or have to think about it and be able to go around on autopilot without walking into things.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
See, before I even move stuff into a space, I already know where everything will go in my head. So that when I do move furniture to the optimal positioning for taking up the least amount of space and the least likelyhood of my tripping over it, it never moves. I'm like a dog, I turn around three times and then I don't get up again once my little hollow in the snow is made.

shen

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm just moving my furniture around:hi: but i'm feng shui-fied and if its not right, and i mean in every sense, i wont stop till it feels right(got to have a plant near comfort zones, different textures and stuff)and if it means going out and buying something that adds contrast and depth to the image then i will...no harmony, no joy!:)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't see why people need to move furniture if it works. My room mates would be like oooh lets change the room and I'd come in and head right for the seat I liked to realize everything had been switched. They didn't ask me, I mean if they had I would have been whatever.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Once I get my furniture in a functional setting, which I've usually visualized & decided upon before even putting it in the room, then it stays in place until I change residences.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I put a lot of thought into my furniture arrangement. If it doesn't look and feel right, I can't be satisfied with it. It took me about two years before I finally got my living room arranged so it felt right. Once it's right, though, I don't see any reason to move it.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Being an INTJ, in my mind, there is one BEST way that the furniture fits or belongs.

I once knew a family who moved their living room furniture around about once every couple of moths. I thought it strange, yet it does give the feeling of a "new" room which is kind of nice also.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I love to move furniture from one place to other until they find their places. Very often they don't so I'll keep moving them. :D I also love to move things around when there is not enough action in my life. So moving around the furniture brings some feeling of things happening in my life. Not very logical thing to do but fun ...:D

samIam

MBTI Type
ENTP
I could care less where my furniture goes. I really don't make any of the decisions as to where to put any particular piece because I could care less. I usually just want my wife to make up her mind as to where she wants it so I can move it. Not that she moves it very often but occasionally she decides something would be better some place else. But once anything starts moving, I know I will be moving things from here to there for the rest of the night. Then she always asks how it looks. It's those times my standard answer is "Looks ok to me but then again I thought it looked ok the other way too." I think that response causes her to have me move it again but I'm not sure.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
When I find a place for my stuff... it stays. I am happy.

My friend (and one of my sisters) changes her living room around at least twice a month. It's interesting, but I don't understand what drives her to keep changing things around. I think she's an introvert.

Am I a typical INFP to want to keep my things where they are? She never changes things around at my home, but she has made references that this would look better here or there. I don't want to change things around. I'm always glad when she leaves. (I know, I am not a good friend) My sister has never offered her opinion about where my furniture sits. Yaay!

Okay, I feel better. :yes:

I'm the complete opposite.

I really enjoy moving my room around. I like to find the most efficient placement of all my furniture, while keeping in mind how it meshes with my feelings, the overall aesthetics it produces and itsflow. Flow as in maneuverability. E.g. Can I easily maneuver between my computer to the door or to my bed. In my current house, I've probably arranged my room around five or six times in a four month period. I'm pretty happy about my setup as of now, but again, not that it's final or anything like that. I dislike knowing that the placement of things are set in stone but on the contrary, I like knowing that most things are relative/subjective and context is always changing.

Last edited:

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I hardly own any furniture that isn't hand-me-downs or something I've been given. There hasn't been a lot of choice in terms of style, dimension etc. It's held together by resolve and my incredible, eclectic sense of style ;) but really, I wouldn't be able to move things around if I wanted to - there are no new positions for the main pieces, and the small pieces are usually altered or moved due to their functionality value. But if I could move them, I probably would. I love the variation. I hate when other people move their furniture too often. I really dislike bumping into things of a hard, wooden persuasion in the middle of the night, when you couldn't be bothered to turn on the lights. And there is always that moment, that sickly feeling, where you're wondering what the hell it is that collided with your kneecap and whether or not you'll be able to take an extra step.

My mom frequently moves her furniture. Perhaps my dislike stems from the number of times I've been required to move stuff over the years.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I put a lot of thought into my furniture arrangement. If it doesn't look and feel right, I can't be satisfied with it. It took me about two years before I finally got my living room arranged so it felt right. Once it's right, though, I don't see any reason to move it.

Hehe, I could have written that. It took me several months to arrange the furniture in my room to my satisfaction, but now that everything is in it's "right" place, I have no desire to move anything around. I like it the way it is. This is just speaking of the furniture, though. I do move decorations and knick knacks around every so often, just to change things up a little.

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
The only reason i'd move fruniture is to have more space. (aka: throwing unused crap out)

So mostly cleaning.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks to all who have responded to this -- it's been very intereresting to hear who enjoys or doesn't enjoy moving their items around. It's just been a pet peeve of mine, and based on the various answers I got here, I doubt a preference is made based on personality type.

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
I usually just want my wife to make up her mind as to where she wants it so I can move it.

I wonder what type your wife is? I'm not interested in rearranging furniture either. However I asked my wife, who is ISTJ, and she's keen on rearranging furniture quite reguarly. I asked why? The reason was that's it's an excuse to have a good clean and tidy up ( haven't yet found out what tidying up is though, I must google it).

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I used to like moving my furniture around when I was younger and a bit restless, but now it's just a pain, lol. My mum's an INFP and she likes to keep things in the same place. I do too, lol.

LucrativeSid

I think it's fun to arrange furniture in a way that nobody would ever expect. It still has to be practical and functional, but my ideas of those things are often quite differenty than everybody else's. It's the novelty of having a completely bizarre arrangement that is fun. I could probably have a lot more fun with it if I built my own house and I built the furniture in it. Since I didn't design my living room or the furniture in it, there's not very many ways I can change things around. I only move things about every six months.

Sometimes I'll put the couch so that it slants inwards toward the rest of the room. Who says things have to be up against the wall? I don't follow rules... Of course, some "rules" like that keep things better, but I'll never stop looking for ways to break the rules and create something better.

With me, it's not impulsive though. If my GF wanted to keep everything in the same place, I would be fine with it. There's a lot more than furniture that I can manipulate and change.