• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Fed up with stereotypes

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm sick and tired of people stereotyping introverts and extraverts. It may not happen a lot, but it does happen. Some introverts assume extraverts are the obnoxious, airheaded, popular people who look down on them, and some extraverts assume introverts are "lame" or "nerdy" (which I take as a compliment, by the way) or that all of them are shy or socially inept.
It varys from person to person. You can be an obnoxious introvert airhead who looks down on extraverts. You can be a socially inept extravert. And the ones that do fit the stereotype are probably bad apples, and you can't just look at one apple and overlook the whole orchard because of it.

Yes, I'm venting. Feel free to jump in.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I'm very frustrated with all of this, as I believe in a more whole brain approach, whole living life kind of thing. I strongly disagree to using just "feeling" or "thinking" to maximize one's stereotype, or adapting to easy images portrayed in 30 minutes - a - show sitcoms.

The things that I hear in here, oh, you made an emotion, are you really a T? You acted un-leadership-like, are you really an ENTJ? You had fun, are you really a J? Like there were something wrong with a person if they're not a cartoon character?

That kind of stuff just makes me frawn in disgust.

But, like it or not, many people are approved for acting constant, even if their portrayal of themselves were unrealistic and just a role. Approved or not, I don't want that kind of approval.

Brian

MBTI Type
INFP
I always kind of envied extraverts, because of their social abilities, in fact I often try to emulate being extraverted in social situations.

So, what happened to bring out this vent? Did someone think you were "obnoxious"/"airheaded"; or did you see an introvert friend being picked on because they weren't adept in a social situation?

am_i_evil666

Yeah, it is pretty annoying to see people stereotyping. Especially like Santtu said, "You had fun, are you really a J?" etc.
Obviously not all extraverts are popular, obnoxious, etc. Or all introverts "lame".

But it is so easy to fall into stereotypes when it comes to type.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I always kind of envied extraverts, because of their social abilities, in fact I often try to emulate being extraverted in social situations.

So, what happened to bring out this vent? Did someone think you were "obnoxious"/"airheaded"; or did you see an introvert friend being picked on because they weren't adept in a social situation?

My introvert friend was picked on for being an introvert. Then she tries to be more social and declares herself an extravert and some airhead called her an airhead because of her trying to be an extravert.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I thought labeling and generalization was part of the whole deal of MBTI. . .
And MBTI isn't specific enough to compare to the world. It's like math, only just a complete different universe. I prefer math though.
It doesn't apply unless you subject it to a matter of consistancy that is presumed rather than existant. (I'm not sure I even believe my own point)

Brian

MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, I thought that’s what it sounded like from the tone of your post. Out of curiosity, why was she 'declaring' herself to be an extravert if she is indeed an introvert? Not that I am attempting to fan the flames of your vent.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
She's unhappy with being an introvert. She'll go back to being content with being an introvert soon.

Brian

MBTI Type
INFP
I thought labeling and generalization was part of the whole deal of MBTI. . .
And MBTI isn't specific enough to compare to the world. It's like math, only just a complete different universe. I prefer math though.
It doesn't apply unless you subject it to a matter of consistancy that is presumed rather than existant. (I'm not sure I even believe my own point)

I don't think he is worried about the generalizing of people in the sense of MBTI. Where I think he is angry is that people assume that because you are an introvert that you will automatically be socially inept and visa versa with extroversion.

Brian

MBTI Type
INFP
She's unhappy with being an introvert. She'll go back to being content with being an introvert soon.

Ya, it's probably a phase, but a bold move on her part :)

The only way to become comfortable with something unfamiliar is to submerse yourself in it. So, she hopefully will become more social through this experience and benefit from it.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I don't think he is worried about the generalizing of people in the sense of MBTI. Where I think he is angry is that people assume that because you are an introvert that you will automatically be socially inept and visa versa with extroversion.

Kinda got that later.

You can't protect the ones you love from everything and it tends to be for the better if they are exposed rather than blindfolded.