• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ - Question about your inner monolouge

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes. I chat with people all the time in my head, and they chat back... But it's useful for figuring out things, and trying to understand how that specific person might react. (I seem to mentally recreate them in my head based on what I know of them in real life, and it does give me a sense of how they might respond to something.) I feel kind of bad sometimes, though, because I'll ramble until the mental someone's ear falls off...I feel a little guilty about not shutting up.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do it all the time. Sometimes to the point that I forget I haven't talked to the actual person and, especially in cases of emails, etc, forget that I still owe them a reply. :doh:

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I chat with people in my head sometimes, but the main way I think through problems is by writing letters.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I sometimes imagine conversations and replies with both real and fictional people. Often, there's even a divide/conflict between three different parts of myself.

Each part is symbolized by various archetypes.

One often appears as Alice from "Alice in Wonderland," or a younger version of myself.

Another one of them often manifest as C3-P0, a British Redcoat, or a Secretary.

The last one often manifests as a Vulcan, a Scientist in a lab coat, or an Electrician.

I can often imagine/guess what a person is going to say before they say it, but not every nuance of it, and sometimes I'm wrong altogether.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
My inner monologue involves me, my voice of reason, and my conscience, aka the part that makes me feel guilty for not taking on all the problems of others around me--or at least attempting to. Sometimes I have wars going on in my head.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Wow, so I'm not the only one either!

I do this almost constantly. My coworkers catch a glimpse of my face while I'm doing it now and again and ask me about it. XD (Just happened tonight as a matter of fact.) What's bad is when it's an angry thought and they think I just gave them a death glare for no reason. lol!

I can totally sympathize with cafe about forgetting to do/say things because you already did in your head!

Talking really does help me get my thoughts in order, and I'm so glad I have someone that I can bounce ideas off of and he understands me well enough to know it's just that. So many of my other friends think I'm becoming obsessive or ranting or am gonna make a crazy decision, or take offense to something, when really I'm just thinking about possibilities out loud. writing works just as well.

I used to write out conversations between parts of myself, similar to what some of the others mentioned. It really helped me figure out my problems. There were a handful, but the four main ones were Rach, Rachel, Roxi and Rai-chan. What I came to realize after about three years of doing this was that they represented my soul, mind, body and the stress that would knock them off balance, respectively. It was a neat revelation, and ever since then, I haven't really been able to use that technique as I think I was finally able to integrate them into myself rather than as separate entities battling in my mind.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
Wow Yah us loony infj's. ok unlike the the original poster these internal conversations are 2 sided. I ask and then, imagine and "hear" a response.

maybe this is an Ni dominant thing? I do this all the time.

I think so.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
I do it all the time. Sometimes to the point that I forget I haven't talked to the actual person and, especially in cases of emails, etc, forget that I still owe them a reply. :doh:

Mmhhmmm.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Counter-example, although my Ni is close in score to my secondary Ne.

I have running debates in my head, but the other voice is usually still just "me" talking or challenging the primary "me."

Usually I have this conversation because I'm anxious about a real conversation I have to have (so I'm trying to anticipate the potential responses), or I am just working through a problem.

I do not really "personalize" the other voice as someone separate from me, even if that voice is representing a real person.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do this, I thought it was just part of life to have conversations in your head, and assumed everyone else did as well.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Very well might be. Anyone else with Ni want to weigh in?

Inner monologue? Check. It likes to compete with actual conversation I'm having. :doh:

I do this, I thought it was just part of life to have conversations in your head, and assumed everyone else did as well.

Uh-oh, just wait for proteanmix to find this thread. :ninja:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Uh-oh, just wait for proteanmix to find this thread. :ninja:

I saw it, I was just resisting the urge. I didn't want anyone to hand me one of these :chillpill:

I don't know which behaviors are attributed to type and which behaviors are universally human. Maybe that comes across as me seeming to believe that type is meaningless, but I don't think that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know which behaviors are attributed to type and which behaviors are universally human. Maybe that comes across as me seeming to believe that type is meaningless, but I don't think that.

Mmm hmm. And this is why we would do better with a question like this by asking (among other things) for non-Ni people to validate having the same experience(s) that is being presupposed by some to be "Ni" related.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I have my buddy stormy in my head. We have had debates about whether she's an individual that lives inside my head or just a twisted part of me that enjoys arguments. The issue has never been truly resolved... we ended off with she exists, the manner of her existence does not matter.

What you've mentioned about the internal vs external stream runs parallel to my experiences. I ramble to other people like I do when I'm alone. Except I tend to answer my self-posed questions when I'm alone as oppose to having other people answer my spontaneously generated ones. My inner voice/imaginary friend usually only introjects to point out inconsistencies or unusual links within my thought. Which isn't what an actual person would do... hmmm actually it's more like the roles are reversed. I become the other person and my inner voice becomes me. If that makes any sense to you...

Mmm hmm. And this is why we would do better with a question like this by asking (among other things) for non-Ni people to validate having the same experience(s) that is being presupposed by some to be "Ni" related.
Hmm... I talk to people in my head... you talk to people in your head. Maybe it would be better to ask in what manner do you interact with them in your head...

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm... I talk to people in my head... you talk to people in your head. Maybe it would be better to ask in what manner do you interact with them in your head...

lol... as in "Do I actually talk to people in my head, or do I merely critique their logic and grammar and have them yell at me?" :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well I'm thinking about dropping a class. I keep imagining different ways the conversation can go when I talk to the teacher about dropping it. Then also whenever I have to give a presentation I imagine what I'm going to say and people's reponses, which makes me more nervous. I need to quit that. Is that what you mean? Or whenever I'm thinking about talking to someone that I don't know real well I'll have a conversation in my head. Then I don't get scared that they aren't going to say what's scripted in my head so, if I do say something I end up blushing and backing away.