• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What do Fe and Fi mean to you?

VagrantFarce

Greetings, NF forum!

Describe Fi and Fe and what they mean to you, and how they differ from the other functions!

I will hand out COOKIES to everyone who puts effort into their replies! You feeling types like cookies, yes? Good!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well saying "Please" if you want something, means a lot to me. I use it to define whether a person is intelligent or not. But I admit I am highly biased on that one

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Cookies yeah! I like chocloate chip with milk please. Would you be sending this to me through pay pal?

Fe: Understanding the emotions of others. This could also be done because of my Ni, but I'm very good at being able to know what mood you are in and understand why you are in that mood. I often try to make decisions that would make your mood turn into the best possible mood. This is both a strength and weakness of the Fe. When building a fence the Fe would ask "How will this fence affect the community?".

Fi: Understanding your emotions. Because you understand how your emotions work so well, it is easier for you to understand how other people's emotions work. Think of it like this: if you know how to build your car, then you would better understand how other cars are built. When building a fence Fi will say "I want to make a special fence for myself.".

Both Fe and Fi understand emotions very easily, but they do it in totally different ways. Fe can see the emotions of others and use their Ni/Si to understand them. Fi understands the emotions of others and use their Ne/Se to express that understanding.

I know I have a limited understanding on these functions, but that is how I intrepreted them. Feel free to correct me.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I wouldn't say understanding emotions is what comes natural with these functions. I don't really have much of an understanding of Fe though... but Fi is more like the drive to understand subjective truth, and a regulator of the feelings.

For example, if something makes me angry, I'm not thinking about why I'm angry, my first reaction is to internalize it and understand it. I try to figure out whether or not my anger is justified behind my values, and whether or not the external situation has any merit. Usually I get so caught up in all of this that whatever emotion I had has subsided, and so I continue to contemplate whether whatever happened was congruent to my values.

The Feeling function actually has little to do with emotions. It's about recognizing external or internal values, and how these apply to you and others. Emotions just accompany the values that you've chosen to hold.

If my anger was not congruent with my internal values, I will attempt to repress it, because I believe it was wrong to feel that way. This can also lead to situations where you can be very unaware of your emotions through repression.

On the other hand, through the subjective reality that is the Feeling function, it's very easy to become overly emotional over certain values, because your values allow free flow of emotion.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thanks Shadow for explaining things clearly.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Making it really simple...

Fe seeks external harmony, which can work it's way inward.
Fi seeks internal harmony, which can work it's way outward.
They kind of have similar goals, but work from opposite ends and with different methods.

Making it long-winded... :tongue:

Fi is very imaginative, and receives it's ideas from some innate, unconscious place. It evaluates these ideas, or "feelings", and works them into a value system so that they all fit together like a puzzle and form a big picture. Conflicting ideas and emotions is often the cause of the internal turmoil many INFPs feel. We need to be peaceful inside, so sorting this out is a primary concern.

An INFP can apply this system externally through Ne, which makes universal application in a metaphorical manner, meaning the Fi-dom does not have to experience something to be able to understand it and how it may make someone feel. This is where our ability to empathize comes from.

Fe adjusts itself to the external, to promote that outer peace. As we all know, when the external is harmonious, then we're more at ease as individuals, and so it seeps its way inward. Fe can be a sort of social lubricant.

Evaluations are made by a general consensus, in that Fe does not assign it's own subjective value, as Fi does. Fe may not trust it's own judgment, just as Fi may be suspicious of what is generally accepted. Fe has an innate understanding of how these standards work, and sees the value behind them. In a sense, Fe creates the external standards by understanding them to promote them as principles and not just arbitrary standards.

Since Ni does not evaluate internally, the ideas and perceptions it makes are evaluated based upon the external. For an INFJ, that means the value is assigned through Fe. I've heard INFJs say they know what is right for someone else more easily than knowing their own feelings. That's hard for me to grasp.

I imagine that Ni might be a Fe bullshit detector, but Fe people can tell me if that is true or not. I suppose that involves evaluation, but a Ni image might inspire Fe to re-evaluate the external values.

I could blather on, but I think that's enough.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Making it really simple...

Fe seeks external harmony, which can work it's way inward.
Fi seeks internal harmony, which can work it's way outward.
They kind of have similar goals, but work from opposite ends and with different methods.

Making it long-winded... :tongue:

Fi is very imaginative, and receives it's ideas from some innate, unconscious place. It evaluates these ideas, or "feelings", and works them into a value system so that they all fit together like a puzzle and form a big picture. Conflicting ideas and emotions is often the cause of the internal turmoil many INFPs feel. We need to be peaceful inside, so sorting this out is a primary concern.

An INFP can apply this system externally through Ne, which makes universal application in a metaphorical manner, meaning the Fi-dom does not have to experience something to be able to understand it and how it may make someone feel. This is where our ability to empathize comes from.

Fe adjusts itself to the external, to promote that outer peace. As we all know, when the external is harmonious, then we're more at ease as individuals, and so it seeps its way inward. Fe can be a sort of social lubricant.

Evaluations are made by a general consensus, in that Fe does not assign it's own subjective value, as Fi does. Fe may not trust it's own judgment, just as Fi may be suspicious of what is generally accepted. Fe has an innate understanding of how these standards work, and sees the value behind them. In a sense, Fe creates the external standards by understanding them to promote them as principles and not just arbitrary standards.

Since Ni does not evaluate internally, the ideas and perceptions it makes are evaluated based upon the external. For an INFJ, that means the value is assigned through Fe. I've heard INFJs say they know what is right for someone else more easily than knowing their own feelings. That's hard for me to grasp.

I imagine that Ni might be a Fe bullshit detector, but Fe people can tell me if that is true or not. I suppose that involves evaluation, but a Ni image might inspire Fe to re-evaluate the external values.

I could blather on, but I think that's enough.

Blather on please, I was enjoying your insight more than my own :wubbie:
I'm very unfamiliar with Fe, so I'd like more insight on it. Of course, Fi too.

I'd also like to know how the Se and Si work in conjuction with Feeling, I feel like I have no understanding of the sensing function.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Now that I think about it some thinkers can also be really good at reading emotions.

My problem is I tend to think of emotion when I think of feelers. I happen to be really good at reading emotions, so that doesn't help.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Blather on please, I was enjoying your insight more than my own :wubbie:
I'm very unfamiliar with Fe, so I'd like more insight on it. Of course, Fi too.

I'd also like to know how the Se and Si work in conjuction with Feeling, I feel like I have no understanding of the sensing function.

I'm really just making my own sense of Jungian theory to grasp MBTI better. Fe is foreign to me also....I'm still reading through Psychological Types, as I tend to skip to what interests me first (which is myself and my functions, hahaha).

A big, big lightbulb went off when I read that Ni does not relate its ideas to itself personally, and how that is extremely foreign to an introverted judger. Ni relates its ideas to other people as a whole, because it must be extroverted to assign value. The Ni individual discovers meaning for itself by making itself into a sort of symbolic figure representative of its vision. They want to become a sort of perfect example of the universal standards that give value to their ideas (probably why extroverted judging types tend to lead more). That helped me to see how Fe can understand it's individual self and not always be about other people. How this works with Si, I don't know yet...