• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] INFP Emotions

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm curious to know how other INFPs feel things. Our emotions are always stereotyped a certain way, and I want to see how this is transposed to reality.

For me personally, my emotions are very self-contained. I'm not prone to reacting impulsively; if I react strongly, then it's probably because the emotion has been building up for a long time. For the most part, I can keep my emotions under control on the outside. For example: if I'm angry, I won't start yelling at the person; I'll probably just let the emotion fester inside. My emotions are more freely expressed when I'm around someone that I know very well.

I wouldn't describe my emotions as passionate or intense; sensitive and empathetic describe them better. My emotions are more affected [I take on the emotions of those around me] rather than affecting [changing the moods of those around me], unless I make a conscious effort to do otherwise. Most people are completely unaware of what is going on inside of me and are surprised to find out that I DO have a soul afterall.

I assume that this is the definition of Fi. XD I was just curious to know how everything applies to the INFP specifically.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just so I understand correctly so I can respond effectively: are you asking how we experience our feelings, or how we communicate our feelings to others? I see these as two separate discussions, which I think you're already hinted at in your OP. :)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
For me personally, my emotions are very self-contained. I'm not prone to reacting impulsively; if I react strongly, then it's probably because the emotion has been building up for a long time. For the most part, I can keep my emotions under control on the outside. For example: if I'm angry, I won't start yelling at the person; I'll probably just let the emotion fester inside. My emotions are more freely expressed when I'm around someone that I know very well.

Hmm, well, I've been trying to be more spontaneous during the recent years. I think that the whole emotion bottling thing is not how it should be, not even with us...

My emotions are more affected [I take on the emotions of those around me] rather than affecting [changing the moods of those around me], unless I make a conscious effort to do otherwise.

You know, I always believed in creating a nice atmosphere with your own mood, and I never really got any proof of that, until I left from my little commune. Soon there started to be some annoyances that never were big deal before and so on. Some of them told me that it was me who made the place so laid back. And I didn't consciously do anything. It wasn't like I decorated the place to make the vibes change or nothing like this. I didn't even try to talk with people, I just made myself available for a chat. But I guess it worked just the way I thought it would. So, my point is, you are probably affecting in a subtle way, people just won't notice it until you are gone.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Fi - feelings internal. For me they are so inwardly oriented that they are hard for me to quantify to myself, never mind to anyone else. It helps to use my auxiliary Ne to gain access - heavy use of metaphor is necessary.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wonder what heavy use of metaphor looks like...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, very true for me...although I often feel passionate and intense, but less so as a reaction to external elements. My own ideas/beliefs make me feel passionate and intense. This is in-line with being an introvert though - I'm much more responsive to my internal thoughts than anything external.

Even when I empathize with someone, I feel rather detached from them. I've mentioned in other posts how I feel more mentally stimulated in such circumstances, like solving a puzzle or reading something interesting, not emotionally affected. I think this calmness is part of what does make us good "healers". But that's also why all the fuzzy bunny nonsense about INFPs is just that - nonsense.

INFP profiles do mention that INFPs seem quite stoic externally, but care deeply internally. People seem to miss the idea that it's not shown, unless you are very close to someone. Jung's description of Fi-dom says that Fi is much, much more likely to display negative emotion also, and that we generally come off as indifferent to strangers. I hate to say it, but it's true for me. Even among close family, my anger will be more apparent than my happy feelings.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Even when I empathize with someone, I feel rather detached from them. I've mentioned in other posts how I feel more mentally stimulated in such circumstances, like solving a puzzle or reading something interesting, not emotionally affected. I think this calmness is part of what does make us good "healers". But that's also why all the fuzzy bunny nonsense about INFPs is just that - nonsense.

I'm a fuzzy bunny! :steam:

No, but really, I am not calm if I really feel your feeling.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know whether I feel more intensely than other people (probably so), but most of all I like to observe my own feelings. To me there's nothing worse than boredom; I really need the stimulation.
About ten months ago, I fell in love head over heels, like I always do. And it didn't work out, like it always does (got the mitten). - I was very depressed for some months, but even that was really interesting to me. It probably sounds very weird to most people, but that had happened before, and this time I consciously decided to "sit down and watch my feelings", if you will.
Maybe it's really an INFP thing, but to me it's just another part of my curiosity.

Last edited:

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just so I understand correctly so I can respond effectively: are you asking how we experience our feelings, or how we communicate our feelings to others? I see these as two separate discussions, which I think you're already hinted at in your OP. :)

How it's experienced, but the other topic is fine. XD I do things broadly.

I'm a fuzzy bunny! :steam:

No, but really, I am not calm if I really feel your feeling.

I see it as if I'm backing out so I can experience the full brunt of the other person's emotion. I'm definitely calm when I'm giving people advice, because I look at it objectively. However, in everyday conversations, I still match the person's mood. If they're giddy and excited, I'll adjust.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I relate to almost everything in the OP. This is one area why I have an x at the end of my type. I do test high Fi as you can see in my sig.

I used to have more passion about creative ideas, but overall I'm more contained like the OP describes. I feel things slowly and deeply.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't express my emotions very well, but that doesn't mean they're not there. And they can saturate the air in my head pretty heavily at times.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fi - feelings internal. For me they are so inwardly oriented that they are hard for me to quantify to myself, never mind to anyone else. It helps to use my auxiliary Ne to gain access - heavy use of metaphor is necessary.

This comment reflects exactly how I feel.
A few weeks ago a friend of mine (inFJ) asked me what I thought about a lecture that I had been talking about for a while and gladly went to hear, and I told her that although I enjoyed it I was still processing what it meant to me and how I felt about it. Actually, at the time I was going to use a metaphor to explain how I felt about it, but we were in a group setting (two NTs--two out of the only three I know--and a couple of Sensors) and I'd observed that once I start throwing out the figurative language everyone's eyes start to glaze over. Anyway, the point was that my knee jerk reaction is to use a metaphor/simile/analogy when I can't readily explain my feeling in concrete terms, like you explained in your comment.

Yes, very true for me...although I often feel passionate and intense, but less so as a reaction to external elements. My own ideas/beliefs make me feel passionate and intense. This is in-line with being an introvert though - I'm much more responsive to my internal thoughts than anything external.

INFP profiles do mention that INFPs seem quite stoic externally, but care deeply internally. People seem to miss the idea that it's not shown, unless you are very close to someone. Jung's description of Fi-dom says that Fi is much, much more likely to display negative emotion also, and that we generally come off as indifferent to strangers. I hate to say it, but it's true for me. Even among close family, my anger will be more apparent than my happy feelings.

The first and last part ring especially true.
The middle part, however, I'm usually detached when sympathizing with someone. In that sense it feels more like a puzzle or an enigma. With empathy, I have a tendency of feeling deeply connected with others. I sometimes even (unconsciously) take the weight of that person's burden on my shoulders. It's an "I hurt for you because I'm strong enough to handle it" type of feeling. It may be tied to how I see the world and my own beliefs about interconnectedness, but that's how I do it.

Also after I've felt someone else's pain for long enough, I start to become very analtyical about trying to improve or balance the emotion/pain/struggle. So, I guess I'm agreeing with you in the middle portion, too, but the difference is how soon (or late) I start analyzing their situation.

OrangeAppled, I just think your strong Ti is the result of being very cccaaalllmmm. Usually I am, but not always.

:hug: Group hug! :blush:

:laugh:

No way, Fuzz! You just want to feel us up. ;)