• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
NFs can be very funny when they learn not to be so offended by things and can take the brunt of a joke. most of my humor when I want to get people going is self deprecating, then I start going after other people lol. Everyone gets a turn being uncomfortable.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
An INTP said this to me, oh, about two years ago.

I didn't believe it then, but it's been in the back of my brain since... and it is correct.

NFs just aren't that funny. They can have a wonderful sense of humor, quick to laugh and appreciate jokes. A few are funny on occasion and they will play off another's humor as well.

They just are rarely the one who comes up and gets others to laugh on their own.

Agree or disagree?

I think the more likely problem is the INTP isn't funny. I've known some witty INT's but I've known plenty of humorless ones as well. INT's have a humor problem far more often than NF's do.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Isn't that a little like encouraging a gimp to play dodgeball Jag? *tsk tsk* I don't know...

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trying to be funny in a thread where you are accused of not being funny is only going to make you seem like you're trying very hard, which is never funny.

NF's know what is funny.. But they take themselves too seriously to be very funny themselves.. Just an observation.. and possibly a skewed one..

It's true. I tried, I cried.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everyone else tells me my humor doesn't make any sense, or even insist that I was serious and not joking.

Yep.

But then I have a pretty puerile sense of humor anyway, I talk about lemonade and strawberry sauce.

el oh elle

The best example I can think of that is Morrissey, who people think is whiny, but his lyrics so funny if you get it.

:yes:
I thought I was the only one who thought so.

Eh, not accounting for personal taste, you have to know funny INFs well before you get to see them in full flight. Otherwise, you get the humor-lite version. Funny INFs are funny in a personalized way, using the things they know about you once you have some comfortable history together.

I can't take the gloves off until I know a person well enough to know I won't go too far. I once told a morbid, offensive joke when I was 13 that cut too close to the bone for the recipient. Stuck with me for life.

My family and the men I have dated particularly mention that I am one of the funniest people they know. *shrugs* With anyone else and at TypeC I am typically more concerned with not being offensive/keeping my humor to myself. Irl I don't like playing to a crowd either, (too impersonal), so it's also more of a one-on-one thing.

True.
My (ESTP) friend and I always playtease our (ESFJ) friend. She's so simple-minded sometimes. It's really easy to pick at her.
But I couldn't imagine doing that to anyone else I haven't known nearly as long as I've known her.

When I'm in an exhausted, pissy, wrung-out mood, my "t" kicks in and I'm very funny. I can make INTJs laugh when I'm feeling that way.

This is me lately.
I was just telling a friend (I'm not sure of his type; he might actually be NT) the other day about how cynical I've been lately because I'm so stressed out. Used to interacting with certain other types of people, I figured he was going to try and give me a pep talk about how I should cheer up and stop stressing out (I hate when people tell me that), but instead he just starts laughing and says something to the extent of "Well, cynicism can be really fun. Enjoy it!"

I love that guy :wubbie:

The issue with NFs are they don't be rude to others, insult others or make racist jokes. We NTs love to be rude to others (INTJs), insult others (ENTJs) and make cute subtle racist remarks (xNTP).

Oh yeah.
I've nearly smacked a NTP or two about that a few times.
Drives me nuts.
I love them and their jokes, but that pisses me off!

What I find funny varies: puns/wordplay, situational comedy, doing normal things in an unusual way<<<<<I'm best at this (typically in writing), completely random things said or done, etc.
My humor usually has a point to it. Like I'm trying to tell you something about my stance on a particular issue or reveal some deeper truth. That's NF funny for you.
I'm pretty self-depreciating, too. It works for me. Plus I never really run out of material. ;)

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went to a film festival the other night, and there was a director named Atom Egoyan. I shrugged and said to my friend, "He's probably an only child."

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The following comedians are said to be of the Idealist temperament:

Billy Crystal
Martin Short
Sinbad
Adam Sandler
Bill Cosby

Probably plenty more...I'm not in the mood to research it...

From my experience, any type can be funny. ENFPs are hilarious. ENTPs can be funny too. ESFPs, ENFJs, ESTPs all have the capacity to be pretty funny. Really anyone can. EP's make me laugh the most on average though. They are silly, in a good way. I love that about them.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
So does NF stand for not funny?

No- it stands for New Funny- NF's are putting the system on trial and are light years ahead of other comedians and humor- the rest of the world is having to catch up with us.

P

Phantonym

No- it stands for New Funny- NF's are putting the system on trial and are light years ahead of other comedians and humor- the rest of the world is having to catch up with us.

Yes! Finally! Well said. *high five* :D