• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
When I'm in an exhausted, pissy, wrung-out mood, my "t" kicks in and I'm very funny. I can make INTJs laugh when I'm feeling that way.

But I have to be able to tap into my darker, logical so to be that brand of funny, and that requires lots of stress. Fortunately, as a mom, I'm fantastically stressed a lot of the time, so it works out nicely for the humor of all at about 9pm every evening. :rolleyes:

Friends have likened my INTJ and I to a sitcom. Yes. We're that damned funny.
sounds very familiar. the kids, husband and basically everything else you mentioned. :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think maybe we don't do shtick as much as other types do. I think that's true. And we might not appreciate it as much as other types do.

I am very sharply/sarcastic funny when I'm mad. The way I phrase things cracks people up, and they will get stuck on a phrase and keep repeating it and slapping their legs while I'm trying to move the story along to get to my point, which makes me madder, which makes me sharper/funnier. Or if I'm in a meeting and a friend is sitting next to me, I can crack her completely up with smart remarks under my breath. But again, it comes out of anger or disrespect, two conditions I try not to be in. I'm afraid of my smart-assedness. It doesn't really come out unless I just don't care anymore, and I'm not often at that point. Every once in a very great while, I'll have some spontaneous contribution that has no edge to it, but mostly it's better if I'm not funny.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think my humor is a reactive kind, I say what witty thing comes to mind when someone says or asks something. It gets better the more I know the people I'm around so I don't accidentally make rude or unfairly general assumptions for the joke. I'm very good at timing, just bad at the meat of the joke. If nothing comes to mind, I'm not funny.

This is how I am also. I play off things that are on TV, or things going on around me, but I don't tell jokes or make up stuff on the fly.

I am trying to broaden my horizons, though. Every now and then I'll work on a stand-up comedy act monologue that I've been envisioning for awhile. That seems easier though, because you're basically writing a speech (that's funny) and then performing it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Eh, not accounting for personal taste, you have to know funny INFs well before you get to see them in full flight. Otherwise, you get the humor-lite version. Funny INFs are funny in a personalized way, using the things they know about you once you have some comfortable history together.

I can't take the gloves off until I know a person well enough to know I won't go too far. I once told a morbid, offensive joke when I was 13 that cut too close to the bone for the recipient. Stuck with me for life.

My family and the men I have dated particularly mention that I am one of the funniest people they know. *shrugs* With anyone else and at TypeC I am typically more concerned with not being offensive/keeping my humor to myself. Irl I don't like playing to a crowd either, (too impersonal), so it's also more of a one-on-one thing.

This is hilarious.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many people think I'm quite a funny person (at least those who are remotely receptive to irony). I probably won't make people crack up, but sometimes I can make them chuckle for quite a while whenever they think of what I've said. A large part of my humour consists of making things explicit that other people weren't aware of (since to me almost everything is somehow connected) or stating the things everybody knows, but nobody dares to say out loud. When people laugh or chuckle, it seems to me that they probably think I've told them something in a funny way when to me the thing in itself, the very notion of it, is what makes it funny (probably sounds very abstract). To me the world is quite absurd (philosophically speaking), and I like to prove it :)

Most of the time people think I'm just being (or trying to be) funny, but to me it's something crucial. Sometimes a joke is what stands between me and the abyss.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rofl1: This thread is hilarious!

No. This thread is hilarious.

4644coil_of_thread.jpg

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No. This thread is hilarious.

:biggrin:

Sew, think you're funny or something?

Stop trying to spin the thread in support of NF humor. The above image did, however, have Cranky in stitches ;)

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think maybe we don't do shtick as much as other types do. I think that's true. And we might not appreciate it as much as other types do.

I am very sharply/sarcastic funny when I'm mad. The way I phrase things cracks people up, and they will get stuck on a phrase and keep repeating it and slapping their legs while I'm trying to move the story along to get to my point, which makes me madder, which makes me sharper/funnier. Or if I'm in a meeting and a friend is sitting next to me, I can crack her completely up with smart remarks under my breath. But again, it comes out of anger or disrespect, two conditions I try not to be in. I'm afraid of my smart-assedness. It doesn't really come out unless I just don't care anymore, and I'm not often at that point. Every once in a very great while, I'll have some spontaneous contribution that has no edge to it, but mostly it's better if I'm not funny.

I can relate to this. I can get very smart ass but it doesn't always sound so nice. I guess I can sound pretty mean so I'm also a bit afraid of my sarcasm/smart assery, though on occasion it gets some laughs out of my NTs. :cheese: I just have to be careful with it.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Yeah, I am funny looking and lumpy. :)
lol. That's not at all why it makes me chuckle though. Your avatar is an oxymoron of INFPs, because I don't think of them as Mr Badass Tough Guy who I'd be scared to cross.;) Would be even more humorous if you were dressed in Harley clothes with 20 tats.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think I'm funny, and I think most would agree. People often say that my dad (ENFJ) is one of the funniest people they know and I know a pretty hilarious ENFP and another INFP (funniest person I know but he is borderline ENFP). Based on personal experiences, I would say that INFJs might be the least funny, although I do believe that they have a very good appreciation for humor and "get" jokes easily.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
:biggrin:

Sew, think you're funny or something?

Stop trying to spin the thread in support of NF humor. The above image did, however, have Cranky in stitches ;)

*sigh* Not this yarn again....

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know what you guys are about here, but you gosh darn had better hide that thread/yarn/ball of string or whatever, and quickly, because I thought I saw BlackCat lurking around the corner just now.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
lol. That's not at all why it makes me chuckle though. Your avatar is an oxymoron of INFPs, because I don't think of them as Mr Badass Tough Guy who I'd be scared to cross.;) Would be even more humorous if you were dressed in Harley clothes with 20 tats.

The clothes, okay. Tattoos? Not so much. I don't need them, I have scars. :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
INFPs are classic. Some of the funniest guys I know. So understated sometimes that maybe NTs completely miss the jokes.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Biaxident admittedly is a humorous INFP so its not all of them...perhaps we should ship them all off to a school for clowns and see if that helps?

clowns.JPG

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Biaxident admittedly is a humorous INFP so its not all of them...perhaps we should ship them all off to a school for clowns and see if that helps?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You want to ship off all the INFPs to CLOWN SCHOOL? ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?

HOMICIDAL INFPS IN FACEPAINT ALL CRAMMED IN A LITTLE TINY CAR.

THEY CAN EMOTE YOU TO DEATH WITH JUST THE POWER OF THEIR EMO-NESS.

CAN'T SLEEP INFPS WILL EAT ME CAN'T SLEEP INFPS WILL EAT ME

:horor::horor::horor::horor::horor::horor:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^now that you mention it Cranky, this explains my coulrophobia.