• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah this is what I'm thinking.

It would depend on what you find funny and if it's humor is type related then SPs would find other SPs funny, same thing with SJs then more broadly sensors. NPs would find NPs funny, same thing with NJs, and more broadly intuitives. And then some things are just funny regardless of type.

I think humor is tied to having the same/similar perception functions. Me, I just don't find puns funny. I know its clever and all but I feel like I have to force a laugh out. But then I have a pretty puerile sense of humor anyway, I talk about lemonade and strawberry sauce.

I don't think SJs or SPs aren't funny, just NFs. Though some SJs...

Puns are supposed to be the INTP's domain, but I don't care for them. I enjoy wordplay, but I don't find it humorous that often.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it that NFs aren't funny, or that NFs aren't funny to NTs?

The latter is obviously far more important.

I was going to say, isn't part of the answer dependent on who the audience is?

Viewing something as "funny," after all, is an internal state for the individual audience member.

I find a lot of quirky humor in things, but there's other stuff that many people found hilarious (e.g., "There's Something About Mary") that I just found dreadfully boring or unimaginative. Then again, I like a lot of dry humor that many people find boring.

I actually find members like PinkP funny... but in a far different way than I find Rhu over at INTPc funny, or Oberon or NPG over here.

Puns are supposed to be the INTP's domain, but I don't care for them.

You don't have to marry them, you just need to laugh.

I enjoy wordplay, but I don't find it humorous that often.

Which oftens are humorous to you?

... I think it could be difficult for an NF to be standup comic who has to get past being booed off the stage and such. A lot of humor in our society is based on being thick-skinned. It's a way to demonstrate apathy or dominance.

That's a big one.

I think ENTPs are pretty good comics just because their temperament is suited for it... as well as for shrugging off any bad responses or incorporating them into their next joke / playing off it.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well, whether someone makes you laugh depends as much on you as it does on him/her.

That said though, some of the funniest people to me have been ENFPs. I have a relative whom I believe to be ENFP, and when he's in the mood for joking he constantly cracks me up. INFPs can also be quite clever and silly when the mood strikes.

I do find that online, on this board, it's usually other NTs that make me laugh. Maybe the NFP humor I like so much works best in person?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ok it seems like NFs find "catch phases" at the beginning of stoic monologs hilarious.

There are also audiences who think that "Dog's Playing Poker" is a great work of art. Comedy is NOT completely subjective. Group hug all you want, it just goes without saying.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I just like bad attitudes. Is that universally counted as funny?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno, I tend to get the most laughs when I formulate things in a way that others wouldn't even think of or would never put in such a casual way if they dared to say it at all. However, that's kinda being funny unintentionally...does that count?

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
The thing though that I hate about me sometimes is that I can't seem to stop, lol. I mean Okay I've made like 20 jokes already and we've all laughed. Now it's time to get to work and finish the group project, but 2 minutes later I make another joke. The group laughs but then they tell me "We need to get serious", I apologize and say I won't do it again. As we continue to discuss the project someone says something and another joke pops in my head, and I say it. People always look at me like "hasn't he had enough". Even when in a serious conversation with my INFP twin brother I always make jokes like every 2 minutes. I just can't help it. I really don't think about making jokes, but so many of them pop in my head that I just can't resist. For crying out loud I talk to myself and make myself laugh all the time, lol, so rather than people seeing my laugh and giggling to myself I just share the fun. Its like I was created with jokes, like I have a joke DNA.

EDIT
Even if my life were in danger and the guy said "Say one more joke and I'll shoot you", it would be a very tough task.

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
I dunno, I tend to get the most laughs when I formulate things in a way that others wouldn't even think of or would never put in such a casual way if they dared to say it at all. However, that's kinda being funny unintentionally...does that count?

Thank you. You said what I've been wanting to say. Im an unintentional comedian. I say things in ways people would have never imagined cause of my analysis.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NTs often feel like they are trying too hard.

Oh yeah, I feel this way sometimes too. It's like they are trying to be all. the. time funny and then it just becomes annoying. I do find some xNTPs to be very funny, but it's not a rule. NTJs I don't usually find funny, but I have known a few INTJs that I find funny despite them not trying to be. It's pretty subjective -- what is "funny."

I don't know, I don't place any value on being personally funny. I like funny people, but for myself? I don't care too much. There are many other qualities I would like to develop more. People sometimes find me funny when I'm making fun of people, though.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can't explain my humor on a messageboard, there are so many other factors that play into it other than written text. Sound, pitch, timing, etc. I think it's just another generalization (common on these boards, obviously). I find a lot of NFs develop humor to adapt to others. Since the generalization is that NFs are dainty and sensitive. So, if they hone in on their comedic skills they can fit in with others and not feel left out. I did that from K-12, and if I didn't I don't think I'd have made the friends I did.

If the NF fails at being funny, that is the cold water on good humor. But I think for an NF being humoring to others is for acceptance and social tension defusing. Although your sense of humor is going to vary with types anyway. I find some 'SJ humor' to be too vanilla and obvious, but that doesn't mean they're not funny to other people who use SJ humor. Whatever that is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are also audiences who think that "Dog's Playing Poker" is a great work of art.

Oh, it is... but only if the dog on the left is bluffing a full house with a pair of two's, pair of threes, and the copyright/instructions card that comes with the deck.

Totally get that, that's what I do too.

It's not really funny "per se" but it's surprising and that makes some people laugh, to see something twisted around into some new unexpected permutation. (PinkP makes me laugh like that, she usually comes out of left field and I'm unprepared... but it's not really direct humor, it's just a quirky way of seeing/describing something.)

...Even if my life were in danger and the guy said "Say one more joke and I'll shoot you"....

That's actually sort of funny.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The NFs that strike me funny take me into an imaginary place. It's easy to forget how often people take a completely literal interpretation of what is said. In those cases this type of NF humor would be confusing and to some possibly annoying because it doesn't make sense to them. If a person doesn't have or share an imagination, there is not a way to get a context for the humor.

P

Phantonym

Personally, I've never even had any intentions of being anybody's clown. I find humour everywhere and it is completely unrelated to type. NF's can be funny just as any other type out there, it really depends on the character.

First of all, I laugh myself and whether people are able to pick up on what I find funny is secondary to me because I rarely provide any explanations. Trying to be funny feels fake and smells like hard labour. Although, people trying desperately to be funny amuse me immensely.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The thing though that I hate about me sometimes is that I can't seem to stop, lol. I mean Okay I've made like 20 jokes already and we've all laughed. Now it's time to get to work and finish the group project, but 2 minutes later I make another joke. The group laughs but then they tell me "We need to get serious", I apologize and say I won't do it again. As we continue to discuss the project someone says something and another joke pops in my head, and I say it. People always look at me like "hasn't he had enough". Even when in a serious conversation with my INFP twin brother I always make jokes like every 2 minutes. I just can't help it. I really don't think about making jokes, but so many of them pop in my head that I just can't resist. For crying out loud I talk to myself and make myself laugh all the time, lol, so rather than people seeing my laugh and giggling to myself I just share the fun. Its like I was created with jokes, like I have a joke DNA.

EDIT
Even if my life were in danger and the guy said "Say one more joke and I'll shoot you", it would be a very tough task.

^Actually this would be a good SNL/Mad TV scit.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I've never even had any intentions of being anybody's clown. I find humour everywhere and it is completely unrelated to type. NF's can be funny just as any other type out there, it really depends on the character.

Oh wait... Sky is a very funny NF. I pretty much find all of her light-hearted posts to be funny, and even some of the serious ones. Elaur too at times.

B

brainheart

An ENTP friend told me that I am one of the funniest people he's ever known. I don't think my SP husband thinks I'm all that funny. I can't tell jokes for shit or do physical comedy, but I'm pretty good at the dry, sarcastic stuff, and I can't help but write funny. I try to write serious, emotional, and it typically morphs into humor.

LA makes a good point. I don't think we NFs feel the need to be funny all the time, probably because we know how to interact in other ways as well. Some people don't know how to engage in honest, earnest conversation so they rely on humor.

proximo

I dunno..an inspired ENFP with a silly streak can be pretty darn funny, as can an ENFJ in a sarcastic mood :D

That's pretty much what I thought, too. My ENFJ sister is outrageously funny and so is my ENFP brother - he's had people literally in tears of laughter many times. My INFP friend, as well as many of the INFP's on this board also make me laugh a lot. I don't know any INFJ's in RL though... the ones I have known in the past tended be more serious, or seem that way anyway. Maybe introversion combines with Fe concern not to offend, so they keep their funny thoughts to themselves, sadly?