• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
To the OP, yes, you are correct. NF's aren't funny at all. We are awfully serious people with no sense of humour. :ninja:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
When I was with a group of friends out at an amusement park one of my INFP friends would tell me a joke and I would deliver it. Since it wasn't on purpose it took a bit for us to realize it was happening.

I usually throw out some material for my friends so that no one else realizes I am trying them to catch it and turn it into a joke. I just need to know them well to be able to know if they will catch it.

I suck at telling already prepared "jokes"

Yeah, me too. You ask me to joke, and I can assure you it will not be funny.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally get that, that's what I do too.

It's not really funny "per se" but it's surprising and that makes some people laugh, to see something twisted around into some new unexpected permutation. (PinkP makes me laugh like that, she usually comes out of left field and I'm unprepared... but it's not really direct humor, it's just a quirky way of seeing/describing something.)

If I notice that I accidentily got people laughing like that, I'll go even worse on em to keep it going. That part is intentionally, but yeah..usually it happens when I say something before I even realize I am :blush:

What also is seen as funny/bizarre is the whole Ne-thing, ime. I remember ranting to my SO for about 20 minutes about the moohoos and the woohoos that lived on Venus and the Moon (although the moohoos were actually really from Mars but were forced of their planet!). It's several years ago, and the details are hazy, but I kinda..yeah, fabricated on the spot.. if I remember correctly, out of a sugar rush. At first my SO just stared at me like :shock: Once I saw that, I went crazier, just to shock him more. But in stead, he started laughing his ass off. I think he was relieved I stopped after 20 minutes though, coz his lungs were hurting.

Again, this kinda shit is not intentional..it's just that the weirdest thoughts just pop into your head sometimes and before you know it, you voice it, and people kinda are stumped. They seem to like it most of the time though *shrug*

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
NFs make me laugh unintentionally ... not as much when they're trying to be funny. But I like that and it's part of why I like being around them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I hate to agree with Mac, but I am definitely not funny unless I have something or someone to play off of. I am also pretty marshwiggle-ish without my INTP to lighten me up.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I hate to agree with Mac, but I am definitely not funny unless I have something or someone to play off of. I am also pretty marshwiggle-ish without my INTP to lighten me up.

I'm in love, you used the term marshwiggle.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I was reading about this on another forum just yesterday and i think that a reason why NFs aren't openly the ones to crack jokes is due to a sense of PCness...

It seems that way with the ENFs that I know. The INFs will let loose occasionally.

...and I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?" and then I got a lengthy etymology of umbilicus with something thrown in about Mr. Pickwick from those Charles Dickens stories that he read as a child and Twitter.

F**king INTPs... I love them but I want to throttle the hell out of them sometimes. A lot of times, actually.

As a rule, I don't seem to find ENTPs as funny as others seem to, either.

I think ENTPs are pretty good comics just because their temperament is suited for it... as well as for shrugging off any bad responses or incorporating them into their next joke / playing off it.

I don't consider myself funny at all, but people seem to laugh at (or with) me. I say what's on my mind (without thinking) and get laughs because people either think I'm joking or they are shocked. I very rarely try to be funny.

I crack myself up constantly though.

As far as the OP, INFs can be hysterical. LA and UDog set me off constantly on here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Again, this kinda shit is not intentional..it's just that the weirdest thoughts just pop into your head sometimes and before you know it, you voice it, and people kinda are stumped. They seem to like it most of the time though *shrug*

Well... I am not an extrovert. Unless I am around people I know or I have already decided I don't care, it all stays internal for me, with my mind pinging off one thing to the next.

I noticed that huge contrast to the ENTP guy who walks in here and is constantly shooting off his mouth and weaving dialogue out of lines from various movies non-stop. He constantly makes everyone laugh, but he externalizes all of his thoughts and doesn't have a filter.

I often am bouncing around just like him, from idea to idea, but I don't say most of them. Sometimes all people get is that weird behavior where I'll be smiling to myself or even start laughing a little under my breath and everyone is wondering what I think is so funny...

People actually seem pretty responsive to Ne-pinging, it's an easy way to connect, as long as they can follow along somehow or the ideas themselves are things they can grasp.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
To all those NFs who say their friends and family thinks they're funny:

My mother says I'm the prettiest girl in the mid-Atlantic region (she's realistic...not quite the prettiest on the East Coast) and says I can be an astronaut, forensic psychiatrist, and marry rich when I grow up.

She's also helping me paint my room magenta this weekend. :banana:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why I love cafe.
To all those NFs who say their friends and family thinks they're funny:

My mother says I'm the prettiest girl in the mid-Atlantic region (she's realistic...not quite the prettiest on the East Coast) and says I can be an astronaut, forensic psychiatrist, and marry rich when I grow up.

She's also helping me paint my room magenta this weekend. :banana:
:D

I think in some ways my humor never developed beyond the elementary school level. Most humor is too heavy for me. Standups and sitcoms tend to be angry, sarcastic, trying to be politically incorrect, challenging everyone, in your face, punishing, dominating everyone, etc. It can be rather loud and redundant, but I get why bits are clever. Sometimes I think you have to feel pretty angry at people to *get* some of that humor.

I don't know if this represents other NFs, but humor to me involves regressing back to the silliness of childhood.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
saying nf's aren't funny is like saying you believe that typology isn't just an indicator and horoscopes are real. also depends on what you think is funny.

i like embarrassing, silly and sarcastic humor. think ben stiller (listed as INFJ), larry david and yeah even though i'll be teased, at times adam sandler (listed as). i howled with laughter at little nicky although i may have been drunk or stoned at the time, i can't remember. :laugh:
I think I just like bad attitudes. Is that universally counted as funny?
ala george carlin or bill hicks? if so then yeah "bad attitudes" are funny.
you've lol'd at some of my silly moments or were you just trying to make me feel worthy? :cry: ;P

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I haven't read through the whole thread but shall chime in:

I can be cute, be silly, make people laugh from that, but it's not "on purpose" funny. It's silly-funny, and I do like to have fun, so that rubs off on others in a happy humorous way. And I know some people will laugh more at that than others, but I don't possess the key to unlock that magical door to Laughter-Central. I am no comedian.

My hubs could tell a joke and you would laugh; I tell the same joke and ... nope. Just the sounds of crickets chirping in the background of silence!

redacted

My INFP GF is hilarious. Way funnier than I am.

But I think the average NF is a lot less funny than the average NT.

P

Phantonym

But I think the average NF is a lot less funny than the average NT.

What is funny?

If NF's and NT's are supposed to be different, then there is no way of measuring their "funniness". If NF and NT "funny" are two separate entities, then how is it possible to compare them?

redacted

What is funny?

If NF's and NT's are supposed to be different, then there is no way of measuring their "funniness". If NF and NT "funny" are two separate entities, then how is it possible to compare them?

I said "I think...", which means that I'm talking about my internal metric for judgment.

And I don't get what you're talking about by "different". If NTs and NFs are different, why wouldn't I be able to judge their funniness? Whichever one makes me laugh more is funnier. What's the problem? NF and NT "funny" are not two separate entities.

I'm honestly pretty confused.

P

Phantonym

And I don't get what you're talking about by "different". If NTs and NFs are different, why wouldn't I be able to judge their funniness? Whichever one makes me laugh more is funnier. What's the problem? NF and NT "funny" are not two separate entities.

I'm honestly pretty confused.

Labelling people to NF's, NT's, SJ's and SP's already indicates their difference.

Oh well, yeah, blah, never mind.

Last edited:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
And I don't get what you're talking about by "different". If NTs and NFs are different, why wouldn't I be able to judge their funniness? Whichever one makes me laugh more is funnier.

Pssst... Don't use subjective evaluation... it doesn't suit NTs :smile:

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
An INTP said this to me, oh, about two years ago.

I didn't believe it then, but it's been in the back of my brain since... and it is correct.

NFs just aren't that funny. They can have a wonderful sense of humor, quick to laugh and appreciate jokes. A few are funny on occasion and they will play off another's humor as well.

They just are rarely the one who comes up and gets others to laugh on their own.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree, mentally I am rather quick and I can keep a room in stitches with witty sarcastic humor all night.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
When I'm in an exhausted, pissy, wrung-out mood, my "t" kicks in and I'm very funny. I can make INTJs laugh when I'm feeling that way.

But I have to be able to tap into my darker, logical so to be that brand of funny, and that requires lots of stress. Fortunately, as a mom, I'm fantastically stressed a lot of the time, so it works out nicely for the humor of all at about 9pm every evening. :rolleyes:

Friends have likened my INTJ and I to a sitcom. Yes. We're that damned funny.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disagree! Vehemently!

I can be pretty funny when I try to make a logical argument.