• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs - have any of you never considered suicide as a viable option?

EricHanson

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh gosh, don't you love the suicide game?

INFP: Suicide would be better than this
Everyone else: No we care about you! Don't suicide!
INFP: Ah, they care about me.
Everyone else: Ok he's better now. I am going to go back to worrying about my own worries.
INFP: They only care about me sometimes. Suicide would be better than this.
Everyone Else: No we care about you! Don't suicide!
And so it continues again.

No not all INFPs are like that, and not all suicidal people are INFPs. But something about that combination of functions: introversion, intuition, feeling, and perceiving seems to almost predispose INFPs to come close to the idea of suicide. Myself, I try to block out the idea of suicide. It just doesn't seem viable and thinking about it too much seems to be to probably be unhealthy. I can safely say that I have never considered suicide as a viable option - not to my knowledge. I've been in depressive moods but the world has always seemed to be full of possibilities to solve all my problems.

Though sometimes, I think the real dangerous ones are ones who are on the verge of suicide but never show it. In fact, they might appear to be perfectly happy. *steals glances at a couples of you Js.

I pose the question which is the thread's title.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anything doable is an option; it's really all about the consequences. At 12 I felt it would be a bigger fuck you to the world if I lived and succeeded than died and allowed everyone to laugh/cry. Besides, as long as you're alive there's still a chance you'll find someone who actually gives a shit. ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them. Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide. However reliable those numbers are, I think it supports a tendency to not reveal plans ahead of time...

The ones IRL I have seen make dramatic threats of suicide have always been, without fail, ExFPs.

Oh, but INFPs often do have a fascination with morbid things...just as much as we are fascinated by beauty and goodness. Both sides show up in our writings/art/musings.

Personally, suicide is never an option. It violates my high value of human life, which includes my own life. However unhappy life is at times, there's always small things I enjoy, even if they just serve as distractions.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them. Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide. However reliable those numbers are, I think it supports a tendency to not reveal plans ahead of time...

The ones IRL I have seen make dramatic threats of suicide have always been, without fail, ExFPs.

Oh, but INFPs often do have a fascination with morbid things...just as much as we are fascinated by beauty and goodness. Both sides show up in our writings/art/musings.

Personally, suicide is never an option. It violates my high value of human life, which includes my own life. However unhappy life is at times, there's always small things I enjoy, even if they just serve as distractions.

infps are more likely to commit suicide than infjs? what are the statistics/rankings? intps are next? i thought 5w4 was the most likely suicidal and 4w5 was the second most.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't want to get too morbid here, but I've considered death a great deal, especially as of late. It isn't something that will happen, I've realized; it's an ongoing process, a cold gray shadow drifting over everything and covering it all with a numbing darkness. I don't need to commit suicide, because I'm already there. All I care to do is escape.

In spite of how grim that may sound, no, I'm not suicidal, nor have I ever been. That hasn't, however, stopped people from thinking I am; I can tell they do, and my aunt has even dreamed that I killed myself. This, of course, is a terrible insult to the many people who face problems so grave that death is the only alternative they can imagine. It is them, not people like me, to whom our concerns should go.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
infps are more likely to commit suicide than infjs? what are the statistics/rankings? intps are next? i thought 5w4 was the most likely suicidal and 4w5 was the second most.

I don't have any links to stats or whatever. Just whenever I've seen statistics for it, INFPs were always at the top. I think INFJs weren't far behind.
If we're talking enneagram, I'd guess 4w5 would be more likely, but that's just my guess.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
I must say I never considered suicide - however - I have seen in hindsight a pattern in my own behavior that if it hadn't been changed could have driven me to that point. Only in hindsight and I pay attention to avoid that pattern - I didn't like it at all. And the realization - even in hindsight - scared me badly.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't have any links to stats or whatever. Just whenever I've seen statistics for it, INFPs were always at the top. I think INFJs weren't far behind.
If we're talking enneagram, I'd guess 4w5 would be more likely, but that's just my guess.

Any idea why? Ideals and values too high for a dog eat dog world? I think I read the same stats somewhere as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any idea why? Ideals and values too high for a dog eat dog world? I think I read the same stats somewhere as well.

Probably. A completely disheartened INFP is a sad picture...

Thinking of famous INFPs who committed suicide, like Ian Curtis, it seems a combo of a violation of their own values and hopelessness to make things right again that leads down them down the path of suicide. Supposedly, people had no idea he was going to do it. They interpreted his melancholy lyrics as simply artistic statements. His behavior didn't indicate it. That seems very INFP...to keep it bottled up, only express it through their art, and then make some "extravagant outburst" (as Jung says of Fi-doms).....in Curtis' case, that outburst was suicide. Luckily, many INFPs lean towards more positive outbursts of an altruistic or artistic nature.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I know I seem to have a different definition for the word "option" than some other people, I guess...

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Regardless of INFPs snuffing themselves or no...more importantly…"suicide as a viable option"…is it just an interesting/awkward wording or is it an oxymoron? ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've known several people who have committed or attempted suicide, and I assure you they are not (or weren't) all INFPs.

The "suicide game" is actually a symptom of borderline personality disorder. Or perhaps clinical depression or bipolar disorder.

I find this post offensive.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd also like to add that suicide is considered a sensible option in some cultures, particularly if one is enduring extreme physical suffering with no way out.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ

The fascination with morbid things is soo true! My INFP is a writer and will often show me short stories that he's written. I LOVE reading them, but damn..can they get morbid! A few of them have made me feel depressed and suicidal after reading them! In fact, he just wrote one about a girl who committed suicide, come to think of it. It's funny how you can be so optimistic and fun...and yet so MORBID sometimes. :D

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Definitely love the morbid stuff here. Poe anyone? I can be a goofball, but I'm very much at home with my dark, sarcastic sense of humor.

Had extreme suicidal thoughts in my teens. Never made an actual attempt, but there were a couple of close calls. I'd say I woke every morning pissed off that I woke up from about 13-16/17 years old. Then my stubborn streak kicked in and I decided I wasn't gonna let life beat me.

I talk about it some now and certain family members I've talked to and friends from back then have told me they never knew I felt that way. Whether that was because I was so good at hiding it or they were just too wrapped up in their own problems remains to be seen.

Question: I was always called the "level-headed one" that everyone came to for advice growing up, which I find funny 'cause I always felt like I was losing my mind back then. Anyone else experience this?

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I've never considered suicide. During the worst time I've had in my life, I knew that all the crap I was going through wasn't permanent. I just had to get though each day and it would be over eventually. It took almost 3 years, which was a lot longer than I expected, but I still NEVER considered taking my own life.
I find this post offensive.
I wasn't offended, but it definitely made me :rolli:
Question: I was always called the "level-headed one" that everyone came to for advice growing up, which I find funny 'cause I always felt like I was losing my mind back then. Anyone else experience this?
Yep. I guess I'm good at hiding things, because even at the deepest point of my depression, I had people tell me I was "the most calm and peaceful person". ahah ahah Even now it makes me laugh because I'm pretty anxiety-prone.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have to be in a really bad place to commit suicide. To contemplate suicide, is to think there are no other options, that it won't pass. Trust me, I've been there, and while I've lived to tell the tale, others are not so lucky.
It's not a matter telling some one to cheer up. Don't you think they would if they could.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
I'm not reading this thread, not. I'm sick of stupid posts about suicide and a few other topics. If you really want to commit suicide, who gives a shit. I've been on the other side of someone's empty-headed threats and to be perfectly honest and it wasn't a whole lot of fun if you know what I mean. So I really don't care about this topic anymore. Enough said.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^^^^well you heard the new dude...the party is over.

Lets pick up are razors, pistolas and nooses and find somewhere else where we can get emo about snuffing ourselves. First no blowjob thread then no suicide…whats the world coming too. Shucks, publically contemplating suicide is almost as difficult as smoking cigarettes in public nowadays. ;)

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
^^^^well you heard the new dude...the party is over.

Lets pick up are razors, pistolas and nooses and find somewhere else where we can get emo about snuffing ourselves. First no blowjob thread then no suicide…whats the world coming too. Shucks, publically contemplating suicide is almost as difficult as smoking cigarettes in public nowadays. ;)

Yeah, I mean its not like talking about it and sharing experiences actually helps people or anything. That's just ridiculous.

*begins tying noose and looking for the sturdiest rafter* :emot-emo:
:newwink: