• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs - have any of you never considered suicide as a viable option?

B

brainheart

Regardless of INFPs snuffing themselves or no...more importantly…"suicide as a viable option"…is it just an interesting/awkward wording or is it an oxymoron? ;)

Yeah, I totally got hung up on this, too. "I considered it once," I was going to say, "but it most definitely wasn't viable."

Not to joke about, ahem, such a serious topic or anything.

But I did consider it a couple of times, then I realized it was totally stupid and selfish and there are so many things I still want to do. Now it's the furthest thought from my mind.

proximo

I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them.

Agreed... but...

Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide.

Where did you get that from? I didn't know anyone kept statistics on the MBTI types of suicides!!

I personally think suicide is stupid because SO MUCH can happen with the passing of time, there's no point in despairing at all. No matter how bad things might seem, they can still change very drastically with time, and probably will. For example, I couldn't and wouldn't have possibly even entertained the idea, ten years ago, that I'd be in the situation I'm in now. Many people say the same thing.

Perhaps genuine suicidal feelings (as opposed to the insincere ones that are more about attention seeking, with no intention of actually following through) boil down to simply feeling that there's no hope for you; complete despair. I don't think that's a feeling that's native to Ne, at least not for longer than a few minutes!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I do remember reading about INFPs being most likely to commit suicide as well, and I've been trying to find the site where I saw it, but to no avail. It mentioned ISFPs as right up there with INFPs, so maybe it has to do with Fi. I don't know. Just musing.

proximo

Well, maybe if Fi makes you unlikely to tell people when you've got a problem, then I guess that makes it less likely that you'll get any help or support with that problem so more likely that you'll sink under it...

The nature of introversion though, is to look within oneself for most things, which can be great in many ways. But in some circumstances we all need outside input, to keep things in perspective within ourselves, so perhaps introverts would be more prone to spiralling down and down within themselves over problems that they lose perspective over.

But I guess the opposite could be true with extraverts: tending to look to the outside world for solutions, so you're less likely to lose perspective. But you're also less likely to figure out and solve it when the problem actually is something that needs to be addressed within yourself.

Pretty much every function could potentially lead to a downward spiral if not balanced out by the other functions, though.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, maybe if Fi makes you unlikely to tell people when you've got a problem, then I guess that makes it less likely that you'll get any help or support with that problem so more likely that you'll sink under it...

The nature of introversion though, is to look within oneself for most things, which can be great in many ways. But in some circumstances we all need outside input, to keep things in perspective within ourselves, so perhaps introverts would be more prone to spiralling down and down within themselves over problems that they lose perspective over.

But I guess the opposite could be true with extraverts: tending to look to the outside world for solutions, so you're less likely to lose perspective. But you're also less likely to figure out and solve it when the problem actually is something that needs to be addressed within yourself.

Pretty much every function could potentially lead to a downward spiral if not balanced out by the other functions, though.
ITA.

But also, Fi is the function that sifts through all emotions, feelings, and sentiments. Perhaps as a result of this, it can sometimes get hung up on a certain feeling and allow this feeling to get in the way of all else.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
^I do remember reading about INFPs being most likely to commit suicide as well, and I've been trying to find the site where I saw it, but to no avail. It mentioned ISFPs as right up there with INFPs, so maybe it has to do with Fi. I don't know. Just musing.

There's this one that says INFPs are "most likely of all the types to report suicidal thoughts in college".

INFP Personality Type

INFPs, hang in there!

proximo

I only know two confirmed INFP's in RL and I know both of them always seem to think they're not good enough, and to be convinced they get on everyone's nerves, like they're a drag on everyone - even though I've never known anyone to say bad of them, but quite the opposite, and I think they're the total bees knees!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I totally got hung up on this, too. "I considered it once," I was going to say, "but it most definitely wasn't viable."

Not to joke about, ahem, such a serious topic or anything.

But I did consider it a couple of times, then I realized it was totally stupid and selfish and there are so many things I still want to do. Now it's the furthest thought from my mind.

Yup, the funny thing about suicidal tendencies (the feelings not the hardcore 80s punk band) is that suicide tends to seem like a better idea when a person is having them as opposed to after the fact. (i.e. "dam why did I cut my wrists horizontally as opposed to vertically that night I drank half a bottle of Jack Daniels and clearly noticed the futility of life after my exgirlfriend left me for a telemarketer" is generally not a matter of regret, although the scars an the weird followup questions may be?!?.)

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
On the one hand I want to be like "I think this is an enneagram 4 thing, not necessarily INFP despite statistics" but I'll address the OP.

I had selfish and light and very childish ideas of suicide. I would have never gone through with them, because even as I thought them I knew I was being a melodramatic preteen who wanted to seem "deep."

So no, I haven't been depressed enough to consider it a "viable" option. I deeply feel for the people who do, though. I can't fathom that at all, and I'd like to give you hugs. :hug:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It has crossed my mind in the past, yes.

But it is not a thing that you use to get others to comfort you, it is one of those things that you hide away inside of yourself. You hide it from others, and yourself.

And then you might mention it from the safety of the internet.

cooliogirly1000

I have considered and would do so if I could. The only thing that prevents me from it is my religious beliefs. I think the world is overrated...too much pain more than joy. What's the harm in seeking to find out whats next after this?
The only thing is, if like me you have religious beliefs and truly think the act of killing oneself leads to nowhere else but more pain and misery you think twice and stick with the lesser evil of the two....this world.

Don't want pity comments by the way, and yes I may be depressed...but heck who isn't?? We're all in denial.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question: I was always called the "level-headed one" that everyone came to for advice growing up, which I find funny 'cause I always felt like I was losing my mind back then. Anyone else experience this?

YES! My family calls me the logical, responsible kid. Friends also seem to really value my input when they need advice.
Although, they also acknowledge I am temperamental and moody....

I can't find it either....you have to wonder the accuracy of those stats anyway (I mean, do they type dead people :D? And of course, my morbid side finds that concept hilarious).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i thought introverted perceivers were more likely to commit suicide than extroverted perceivers. Fi definitely can become fixated on particular value judgments that can corrupt their whole interior (value judgments, purpose, etc). but introverted perceiving gets its entire information system corrupted, it cannot get information outside of that. Fe implosion is a total corruption, it is so total in that we cannot KNOW better as we are destroying ourselves, it is not our values but our perception. we do not just lose value we lose vision, the capability to see. it is not just about how we relate to the world but what the world IS. bc we cannot get at it thru a clean lens. i see Fi lock up and i see Fi suffer very much, but Fe just fucking melts down sometimes (bc it becomes a damaged connector, conductor, conduit between ourselves and teh world). many F types descend into serious mental illness and start breaking down if the stress gets too great and they dont' get the support they need.

i also thought 5w4 was more likely to commit suicide than 4w5. but i thought they were probably the two highest types. 4 is hysterical but 5 is TRAPPED in knowledge of things that can be so dark and morbid and terrifyingly ugly.

i think most 5 and 4 types have considered what would happen, altho i may receive a proposal that doesn't mean i seriously consider the offer. i've wanted to completely disappear a number of times. and yes, i'm glad i did not! there's something comforting in knowing that the worst is never really the worst, and that you can never really hit rock bottom, and that you really can endure anything even tho it may not be worth it to you at the time. tho the suffering and the stress can, of course, and like all things at all times, completely overpower you, dominate you, and totally mercilessly destroy you.

shrapnel is in such poor taste.

we need better and more experimental alternative therapies to get people back on track, but the one size fits all approach to education and business within so many social spheres, social spectres, and social situations is what creates so much fo the problem in the first place!

Fecal McAngry

Probably. A completely disheartened INFP is a sad picture...

Thinking of famous INFPs who committed suicide, like Ian Curtis, it seems a combo of a violation of their own values and hopelessness to make things right again that leads down them down the path of suicide. Supposedly, people had no idea he was going to do it. They interpreted his melancholy lyrics as simply artistic statements. His behavior didn't indicate it. That seems very INFP...to keep it bottled up, only express it through their art, and then make some "extravagant outburst" (as Jung says of Fi-doms).....in Curtis' case, that outburst was suicide. Luckily, many INFPs lean towards more positive outbursts of an altruistic or artistic nature.
I'd always assumed Curtis was an INFx; I defer to your typing as I presume you know him better than I. But when I think of two certain INFPs who killed themselves recently--Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith--there was great sorrow felt by many at their respective passings...but shock? No. Quite the contrary--both had reeked of depression for many years, had written overt lyrics about both depression and suicide, had attempted in the past, and spoke about it frequently with friends/loved ones.
YouTube - Fond Farewell Elliott Smith Memorial

YouTube - Sinead O'Connor "all apologies"

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I hated it that when I was severely depressed and seriously thinking about suicide my mother still managed to insult me.

BUT ON A HAPPIER NOTE :) I am happy now. Enjoying life :) (I shouldn't hold a grudge. It is hard though)

Sauropsidian

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've contemplated it and imagined it in the past, but I know that I'd never be able to actually do it.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, but not because I didn't feel cared about, as the OP implies. A lot of suicides probably do happen because people feel alone and unsupported or that society at large is too depressing, but there are many other possible reasons for wanting to end your own life. Personally, knowing that I was cared about and thinking that there was absolutely no option I could take that wouldn't disappoint and let down all those people in fact made it worse and drove it onwards. I wondered whether suicide might, in the long-run, cause them less upset and confusion and embarrassment than my hanging around being a miserable, useless, disappointing burden and waste of their initial care and resources for the rest of their lives.

I still think it's entirely possible that that scenario will play out, so I just try to stay positive about the possibility that I may manage to turn my life around and become independent. There's no point in dwelling on the possibility I won't. For the moment I'm focusing on enjoying life as it happens and assuming until proven otherwise that I'm capable of finding and keeping a job, and of not having a nervous breakdown in the process of trying to keep it. Most of the time I'm succeeding to that end and am quite an optimistic person I think.

Liquid Swordz

MBTI Type
INFP
I contemplated and threatened suicide when I was twelve. Since then it's crossed my mind on and off usually when I was depressed or going through some Existential "why live" shit.

Nowadays I'm pretty content with rolling with whatever punches life throws though.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
What is this suicide game you're talking about exactly? Using the threat of suicide as a means of getting attention? That doesn't sound very INFP to me. I'd think INFPs would be the type least likely to use suicide attempts as a cry for help. I think they'd do it more because they've decided, for whatever reason, that it's the right thing to do. And then they wouldn't tell anyone, lest they be dissuaded somehow.

I don't consider it a "viable" option for me. But if I didn't believe in an afterlife I'm sure I'd think long and hard about it.