• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs - have any of you never considered suicide as a viable option?

MrStombles

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I never considered myself mentally ill but I've been hospitalized more then a few times for things like this between 15 and 18. It's true theres a tendency to keep it all in, but for me instead of acting on it through an actual, my whole value system would invert itself (stuff I hated became stuff I loved, embracing negativity, ect) which is an ugly thing to see. One thing that dissuaded me when I was a kid was the prospect of an afterlife, even though I logically didnt believe in it. Nothing scared me more then killing myself only to have to keep living, which sounds weird.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide."- Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

This book pushes the 'Screw that' button, which is also referred to as Fi, channeling the anger from the self towards the system.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I've contemplated it and imagined it in the past, but I know that I'd never be able to actually do it.

Yeah, this.

When I'm depressed enough, I fantasize about death as a way to escape these awful feelings- of loneliness, shame, or whatever I'm feeling at the time. The feelings can be so intense that it feels like you could never recover. But somewhere in the back of my mind, in the subconscious even, I know that I will, so I would never consider doing it in reality.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
INFP's would not broadcast their intentions. they would just do it without a word.

Kool Keith

MBTI Type
INFP
What is this suicide game you're talking about exactly? Using the threat of suicide as a means of getting attention? That doesn't sound very INFP to me. I'd think INFPs would be the type least likely to use suicide attempts as a cry for help.

True. I would never, EVER do that type of thing.

Nor do I think I would ever commit suicide. I've never woke up in the morning and thought about killing myself that day.

But if I did, I promise you that I wouldn't go crying to anyone about it. I'd either do it or keep my mouth shut.

What a depressing topic.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The thought has raced across my mind once or twice.

But only in a temporary and fleeting manner.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
From dictionary.com...
Viable:
1. capable of living.
2. Physiology.a. physically fitted to live.
b. (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.
3. Botany. able to live and grow.

I see suicide as a nonviable option (tehe), though perhaps useful for some obnoxious INFPs ;)

underradar

MBTI Type
infp
It's comforting to me to know I'm always having option. To know that I can just go the other way if thing's becoming too much for me to go on. Maybe I'm a loser for thinking like this but I just can't help it.

Tofu562

MBTI Type
ENFP
i had an INFP girlfriend that cheated on me, and after i broke up with her she talked about killing herself a number of times

monocycle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've thought about it but only for curiosity's sake.
"What would people think?"
"Who would find me?"
"Which friend would find out first?"

All of those morbid things INFPs think about. :newwink:

A

A window to the soul

INFP's would not broadcast their intentions. they would just do it without a word.

True, if an INFP was serious about doing it, they wouldn't talk about, they'd just do it. If it's "talked" about, then it's just talk and nothing more. That's my expert opinion. :)

Chloe

True, if an INFP was serious about doing it, they wouldn't talk about, they'd just do it. If it's "talked" about, then it's just talk and nothing more. That's my expert opinion. :)

Expert ? Were you saying this as some proffesional in field (psychologyst or what), or as one INFP?

anyway, I'm really annoyed by such misbeliefs, according to some studies most people who commit suicide do tell someone they plan to before, and such statments as yours make people believe that those people are only attention whoring, without true intentions. I think that's just not a place for such big generalisations.

A

A window to the soul

lolz!

Expert ? Were you saying this as some proffesional in field (psychologyst or what), or as one INFP?

anyway, I'm really annoyed by such misbeliefs, according to some studies most people who commit suicide do tell someone they plan to before, and such statments as yours make people believe that those people are only attention whoring, without true intentions. I think that's just not a place for such big generalisations.

...Nice! :nice:

I humbly respect your opinion. I reserve my "right" to express my opinion, which I did a mighty fine job at "simply" stating. With that said... take it or leave it; love me or hate me...
:girlfight: :tongue:

Last edited:

Chloe

...Nice! :nice:

I humbly respect your opinion. I reserve my "right" to express my opinion, which I did a mighty fine job at "simply" stating. With that said... take it or leave it; love me or hate me...
:girlfight: :tongue:

i can prove your opinion is wrong generalisation in one sentence; My family friend who killed herself said to few people before she will, and to her parents even, she was INFP by the book.

some INFPs will, and some wont talk about it before. That's all i'm saying.

A

A window to the soul

i can prove your opinion is wrong generalisation in one sentence; My family friend who killed herself said to few people before she will, and to her parents even, she was INFP by the book.

some INFPs will, and some wont talk about it before. That's all i'm saying.

Point well taken. I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Last edited:

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram

This is true. I think it's counterproductive to assume that people who share those thoughts and feelings are just borderline personality disorder attention whores. It's not always clear cut either; the attention getting behavior to see if people still care about you isn't necessarily meant to jerk others around. If your gut (Fi) is screaming at you you that people think you are an idiotic, worthless burden, but something else (a more reasonable function?) reminds you that there were times where others *appeared* to care, it's natural to try to test it to see if your life really is meaningless enough to end.

I've cut to get attention (when I was a preteen) and have attempted suicide without telling anyone beforehand. I know this is only my own experience as an INFP, but I'll try to explain. I almost always self-isolate and withdraw when I spiral into depression. The further I slip away from people and stop calling/etc, the more *they* feel rejected and/or the more they try to respect the space they think I need. But I can't tell you how impossible it is at these points for me to see that I reject them first: it just seems more and more likely that I'm unloved. I lose friends. This is very draining (even if it is extremely low-key externally - I emote far more here than IRL) and disheartening. It's hard to ask for help not only because I often don't feel worthy of the bother at these points, but because I'm worried about wearing out the good graces and patience of those around me.

Regarding both the "Fi says it's the right thing to do" by suicide vs. the selfish violation of principles suicide:

The "viability" of the option isn't a black and white issue all the time. Fi can tell you that it's right not to be a burden on loved ones and deadweight in society while also telling you that it's not right to leave them with the responsibility of spending time and money on moving your stuff, finding a new roommate, arranging your funeral and burial, etc. Cancerous Fi can't make a "right" choice in this case. It can also be conflicting when deciding whether to ask for help; telling someone is what you would want your loved ones to do and you don't want to be a hypocrite, but saying something puts a heavy burden on the listener. Fi doesn't give a clear answer here.

I stopped posing for about 6 months and I promised myself that I wouldn't start posting again unless I could get rid of the emo talk. But I saw this thread and I felt I had to say something about a topic that is personal to me and that I feel is misunderstood. I'm just being honest and I hope it's not too much.

Last edited:

Fecal McAngry

Oh yes. When I was on hepatitis c treatment (72 weeks, from 09-28-07 to 02-13-09), and afterwards, when I was weening myself off of and then finally quitting the methadone I took to endure the pain of treatment, I thought about suicide on a daily basis--and, given that every month I picked up almost 2 grams of methadone and 1 gram of temazepam, I certainly had the means for a swift and painless death.

I still, quite frankly, find it very difficult to comprehend that experience, or how I was able to endure it...

So glad it is behind me.

Hepatitis C can take toll on sufferers | Body and Mind - - PennLive.com

“I stood in Penney’s thinking, ‘I don’t know why I’m here. I don’t
want to be standing up.’ I didn’t want to be alive,”...“You
just felt like the most severe case of flu a human being can have and
still be alive.”...“Every three to four days I prayed I would die and wouldn’t have to
deal with it any more. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.”...

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've experienced suicidal ideation once, I was 28. My marriage was on the rocks, among a myriad of other problems and I had no family/friend support system. My wife was none the wiser to my thoughts, nor was anyone else for that matter. I had reached the planning stages of my suicide when I had a powerful epiphany (self preservation instinct sparked Ni?). I reached through my shadow and found myself that day (massive amounts of Si activity as my entire life was put into perspective vs. this new self image paradigm) and would later go on to experience the happiest and most productive three years of my life.

I wouldn't use "the suicide game" as a cry for help/attention as I have a voice for that.