• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Have You Lost Your Imagination?

lalalost

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, I feel the same way! I used to be really artistic and creative, but perhaps I began to look at what was considered the norm for people and I began to restrict my creativity. I'm not sure where it all went now, but I wish I was inspired again.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, I feel the same way! I used to be really artistic and creative, but perhaps I began to look at what was considered the norm for people and I began to restrict my creativity. I'm not sure where it all went now, but I wish I was inspired again.

You should stop being a tool and not let other people decide what's right for you.

Don't take offense. Just the advice.

Nyx

As the years pass, I feel as if my imagination and creativity are being subdued. It's something I regret, because as a child, my elders always thought I was a sort of visionary. I didn't care what external boundaries there were, or why rules were in place. Thus, I would often deviate from the norm in the most charming ways - whether it be art, writing, or anything that required a creative touch.

I fear that I might not be able to evoke quality of fantastical imagery I exercised as a child, and I don't want to lose my creativity.

Do any other NFs feel that society has forced them to drive out their creative spark, replacing it with schedules, time tables, and measurements?

I have been feeling exactly like this recently. I keep clinging to the vestiges of the strong fantastical and strange sensations I would feel when going about the world as a kid. Everything was big, and neutral in connotation, and I had senses of the past and present intermingling in my mind. My imagination was, as you say, visionary. I feel that I was more of a visionary then; hardly being able to claim that about myself today. I was a highly skilled writer when I was in elementary school, and was accused of plagiarism/ getting my mom to write my creative writing for me. They even called her into the school to talk about it. I remember this extremely strong sense as a kid of how weird the world was... weird in a wonderful, way with mystical meanings, unutterable complexity and meeting points of humanity and its ideas. Clips of certain instances of exploration are etched in my mind and I grasp at them as the few amazing feelings I felt about the world. The descriptive words and ideas that come to my mind when I think about them are so unique I feel the need to articulate them constantly, like an oral tradition, though the only articulation that happens is in my own mind. I am losing this way of looking at the world and it is killing me inside. Then I was living without what I call now a brain filter. I want to restore this freedom. I suppose it was innocence and the absence of prejudice and judgment. It felt so raw. It is one of the most vital components of my being. My brain now feels clouded over, vague, and unable to tap into these feelings anymore. Everything now feels watered down and, at worst, completely banal. It rips apart my soul.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
think I left it with my keys

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
Not even close. Infact as I've gotten older I've become more creative. I daydream like no body's business and I have the complete plots to about 5 movies I would love to make. If only I had gone into Script writing. I seriously hate engineering with a passion, but my parents would have never paid for it. It's all about going into a "prestigious" degree so they can boast to their friends how their son is in engineering, sigh.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I think that if you don't use your imagination, you lose it. When I was younger (<14) I wrote a lot of stories and when I read them back, I still like them. But, because I got problems with my clsssmates (they hated me because I always forgot my homework) my teachers told me not to spend time on my hobbies anymore and focus entirely on school. That way the fights I had with the other kids would stop. I did what they asked me for two exhausting years and when those years were over, I lost a big part of my imagination. A year ago I started writing again, and it's slowly coming back. My imagination is more of a combination of things that are on my mind. People say it reflects my personality, because it's so lively. I never noticed that.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes. I fear I will never be able to work for GE. It's like someone flicked a switch and turned off the light bulb in my head.:(

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should stop being a tool and not let other people decide what's right for you.

Don't take offense. Just the advice.

I just love when people say stuff like this.....giving so-called "advice" in a rude and degrading manner and then say "no offense!", as if that's make being an ass okay. If you really wanted to help, you'd actually say it in an encouraging way.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Having a career and a mortgage all within a year now... I feel like the "adult world" is occupying all of my time in pointlessly mundane day-to-day matters and that's pushing out my creativity. Hell it's almost impossible for me to even meditate anymore. I wish I could just stop working and find myself again.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ Try having a career in a morgue. Doesn't necessary kill the imagination, it actually kind of sparks it, but into rather unpleasant territories.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd rather have a job as an apocalypse survivor. That could be cool.