• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Clumsy Much?

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've got serious problems with knocking stuff over. I mean, I am 6'5" and I do have exceptionally long arms, but honestly, whenever I'm in my Te/Si friend's house, I find some way to knock something over. In my defense, last night I wasn't the only one, and the room was reconfigured, but I'm driving him nuts and I don't take well to bursts of OCD anger.

I guess I need some reassurance here...do all Ns start of life as clumsy, or is it just me that lacks physical self-awareness? How do I obtain this awareness? Does my tertiary Se account for that, or does one need Si to be coordinated.

I'm doomed. Yup. I'm doomed. :)
--Fuzzy

P

Phantonym

If my mind happens to be in space-mode I wouldn't even notice if I knocked something over or bumped into something or someone. But overall, I have quite a good perception about my surroundings even if I don't pay that much attention to it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yea, I walked into a lamp post before because I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.
I ignore the obvious quite a bit.

Oh yes. Just remembered. I dropped my phone over 50 times in the last 3 months. Glad I have a phone that never breaks.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
If my mind happens to be in space-mode I wouldn't even notice if I knocked something over or bumped into something or someone. But overall, I have quite a good perception about my surroundings even if I don't pay that much attention to it.

I don't know much about MBTI, at the moment to explain how the functions work, but yeah I happened to be in that space-mode and my job requires me to be aware of things 'cause I'm a barista.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
....do all Ns start of life as clumsy, or is it just me that lacks physical self-awareness? How do I obtain this awareness? Does my tertiary Se account for that, or does one need Si to be coordinated.

you just need practice doing stuff... screw function use.

N's might be at a disadvantage navigating and responding to the needs of a concrete world because they live in a world that does not exist concretely.

S kids live in that world every day and learn it quickly, N's are off daydreaming or speculating much more. IOW, S kids practice all the time, N kids need more experience navigating in that world.

.... as far as I go, I have pretty marvelous reflexes (I routinely catch things that fall off shelves or that people drop, before I'm even aware my body has moved), and after years of practicing, I can play the piano well (I have good rhythm and digital coordination); but in terms of doing more complicated body movements instinctive, I have trouble getting good at things like dancing, swinging thing well (bats, golf clubs, etc). I'm not awful at those things but I find I have to work very hard at them if I want to do them, I don't have a good sense of my physical body and how it fits together.

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oh yes.

Since I don't know how to crosspost stuff, I copied this from a blog entry of mine. Hope this helps. Hehe.

"It's always a wonder/shock to see how other people react to my inherent clumsiness. I don't think of it as THAT big a deal, but that's probably because I've always been like this since I started forming sentient thoughts.

You can count on me to break anything whenever I so much as moved a pinkie (in fact, appendages are the worst. They're hooks.) Breaking cups in china stores, knocking over bottles of ketchup in South Supermarket, I've been banned for the past 20 or so years from entering any store that sells breakable items.

And even when I am allowed by my parents to enter one of these stores, I always elicit funny looks from salespeople. That's because I never move once I'm inside. My mom would ask which plate looks good and I point, with my mouth. "That looks good."

In restaurants, the key is to place the salt and pepper shakers as far away from you as possible. Your glass of water should also be distant from your hands. If the table has linen, then be careful whenever you stand up. You might just drag the tablecloth with you.

At home, leave the figurine/fine china cleaning department to other people. In fact, just admire them from afar. When you get your own place, it's best not to invest in any sculpture-type pieces. If you find plates made of wood, then buy them.

When drinking coffee, try to hide your phone/iPod/gadget in your bag and place the bag at least a few feet from you.

Don't lean on walls, unless you like to be covered in paint/ dust.

Don't sit on chairs without wiping them first, preferably with those wet ones kind of tissue paper, especially if you're wearing white (although, who wears white jeans in this decade?).

--------------------------------

Klutz. Yep, that's me. So when I disembark from the stationary bike and my codal (that's law school geek speak for "book"), earphones and iPod all fall to proverbial pieces, don't be shocked. I'm not.

I used to be shocked. Then I just got annoyed, thinking of why all these things happen to me, why I have no foresight when it comes to these things. Now, I just find it funny.

Yeah, when you saw me yesterday at the gym, mildly chuckling, I wasn't going insane.

Just to you know."

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, not at all. My infp friend is very clumsy tho, its like he has no idea on whats going around him

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm clumsy! I walk into things and spill drinks all the time! :D

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Interesting. Most of you are J.

I would've thought the xNFP would have a harder time with clumsiness.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm super clumsy. always knocking into shit because i pay no attention to my surroundings

MmmCrazy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
I'm super clumsy!! It usually draws attention to me, though (yay!), so I just laugh it off with everybody else.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^Yes, this.

Though in the ESTJs house, that's not really an option as he attempts to hold back the firestorm that is his temper, and I try to hold back the tempest that is my disdain for caring more about items then about the person you are friends with who broke the item.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try yoga.

It really helps :yes:
It improves posture and balance, etc, making you more graceful.

I'm tall-ish and thin and long-limbed, and can feel a bit "noodly" at times, although no one has ever told me that (I think I just feel that way). When my head is in the clouds, then I am prone to knocking things over, dropping things, walking into poles, etc.

When I am alert, I navigate just fine though, but it feels so precise that it makes me self-conscious. I have this inner dialog of every move, and it just feels contrived. I feel more natural when I'm floating a bit through life, but that's also when accidents occur :D.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I'm a little clumsy, but luckily at 5'4" the amount of damage I can do is limited. It doesn't stop me from scraping my shoulder against doorframes as I pass through them or tripping on my feet though :blush:

Just keeping in mind where potential trouble spots in your environment are seems to help.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am more likely to come off as clumsy when I know, or think, that I am being watched. I get ridiculously self-conscious and forget about the surroundings.

When I'm just walking around, daydreaming, I have sort of an autopilot on, and it's actually pretty good.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I usually don't recognize when I have a bad grip on something so it slips our of my hands. Thanfully old-school iPod Nanos are unbreakable.

I broke a glass cup before, and it was kind of cool. It slipped out of my hand, the tip of the table, sending it into a spin, it bounced off the floor once, I seriously hoped it would survive, but then it EXPLODED IN MIDAIR. It was awesome even though I barely got out of cleaning the glass up (no one apparently was paying attention when I dropped it so blame couldn't be laid on me)

I also tend to hit my head on things or accidentally having the chair fall when standing up.

When I'm just walking around, daydreaming, I have sort of an autopilot on, and it's actually pretty good.
Yeah, seems like that for me too.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends on how spazzy I am at the moment. If I've spent the last hours thinking about things, studying, not interacting with the real world etc. I can be clumsy, just as you. If I have been interacting with the outside world, I'm fine. I try to obtain everyday my share of physical movement, at least 1h20mins, which facilitates the connection with the sensory realm.

Although, sometimes my mind-body connection is weird. I have some trouble doing certain simple fine-motor movement manual tasks, such as disentagling the wires of my headphones, darts, pool (omg I suck so much at pool, you have no idea). Yet I'm really good at dancing/coordinated and I can pick up sports quickly.