• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ & Facial Expressions

BMEF

Hello everyone! I'm a sophomore in high school. Recently, a lot of my classmates/teachers approach me and tell me things like "Why are you sad?", "Why do you always look worried/angry?", "What's wrong?", or "Are you ok?" when I'm emotionally neutral and not mad about anything. Is this an "INFJ" thing? Do any other types relate to this? May anyone give me any advice on controlling my facial expressions when I'm thinking about the past or the future? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced! =)

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hello everyone! I'm a sophomore in high school. Recently, a lot of my classmates/teachers approach me and tell me things like "Why are you sad?", "Why do you always look worried/angry?", "What's wrong?", or "Are you ok?" when I'm emotionally neutral and not mad about anything. Is this an "INFJ" thing? Do any other types relate to this? May anyone give me any advice on controlling my facial expressions when I'm thinking about the past or the future? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced! =)

I frequently get asked what I'm angry about - usually I'm not angry, I'm just focused on my mission.

If I'm sad though, usually it's pretty easy for people to spot and they're usually right when they notice.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I used to get that all the time, people asking me whats wrong, and i'm just standing there thinking about nothing in general. I just wear a smile as often as I can even when I am just mulling around. People see it and assume I am content so they either leave me be or want to have a generally more upbeat conversation. They def feel more inclined to talk to me which I like.

P

Phantonym

I just wear a smile as often as I can even when I am just mulling around. People see it and assume I am content so they either leave me be or want to have a generally more upbeat conversation.

Oh yeah, that usually does the trick. :) Mostly I just forget to smile, though. I'm either extremely self-conscious about myself and the people around me or I get so caught up with my thinking that the surroundings sort of blur together and I don't even notice others. I mostly give the blank face.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm the opposite. People ask me what I'm so happy about. I over-smile while I'm forced to be extroverted at work or in public. I guess it's a coping mechanism because I rarely feel comfortable.

workaholicsanon

MBTI Type
INFJ
OMG, i relate to a lot mentioned in this thread. I also have gotten asked "are you ok? you look sad. . ." a few times. Each time I was not sad. The last time that happened, i was actually listening very carefully and intently to that person and thinking about what he was telling me. I was totally neutral and actually in a good mood, and so I was caught by surprise with that comment.

I have also been asked "why are you so happy?" once. I dont know if that person was just bitter or what. I wasn't feeling overly happy, I was just being nice and smiling and being upbeat.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
If I'm lost in thought, which I usually am, then people tell me to smile or cheer up.
My eyes are sensitive to light so I squint alot when I'm outside, people think I'm pissed at something.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
People often seem to think that I am sad. Angry, not so much.

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
And when you're actually sad/stressed, people don't notice because it's like you have an internal switch in your head that automatically hides the emotion. Whereas if you're just thinking/living inside your head again, you "look sad."

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
And when you're actually sad/stressed, people don't notice because it's like you have an internal switch in your head that automatically hides the emotion. Whereas if you're just thinking/living inside your head again, you "look sad."

Totally, but I didnt really get any attention from it until I came to Finland where everyone seems a lot more self-conscious. If I'm not happy its like 'Did I do something wrong??' in their head or something. If no one's talking to me, though, the 'deep thought' expression is basically the norm for this country. The average Finn that travels to another country seems to get aked what's got them in a bad mood according to all the travelling Finns I know.

I guess back in my hometown people got used to how weird I was.

My friend group is basically all crazy people (They gotta all be Ns) and I can't really get -into- the 'deep face' since I'm too busy making a damned fool of myself :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think my wife looks unhappy, and she's INFJ:
20090905126.jpg

AND...

Picture_0019.jpg

I think body language, posture, and other consistent physically expressed traits are jnust as important as facial expressions in how others formulate opinions on our inner demeanor.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
20090905126.jpg

Nah...she's just reaching over to jam her thumb in your eye-socket so she can pop out your eye.

AND...

Picture_0019.jpg

I think body language, posture, and other consistent physically expressed traits are just as important as facial expressions in how others formulate opinions on our inner demeanor.

In this one she is plotting her revenge for having to go through another 9 months of feeling fat, bloated, and achy.... :D

Seriously.

I think in the first one she is a little surprised.

And in the second she is tired.

:)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah...she's just reaching over to jam her thumb in your eye-socket so she can pop out your eye.

HEY! She said that was an accident! Damn it! :doh:

In this one she is plotting her revenge for having to go through another 9 months of feeling fat, bloated, and achy.... :D

Seriously.

The revenge is scheduled to take course over the next 18 years, I am sure of it. :horor:

workaholicsanon

MBTI Type
INFJ

I think body language, posture, and other consistent physically expressed traits are jnust as important as facial expressions in how others formulate opinions on our inner demeanor.

She looks happy because she's with her dual. Her INFJness is balanced with your ESTPness.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yes, yes! I totally relate to the op. Not only do people mistake my pensiveness for anger, but when I am thinking of something amusing they asks me what I'm so happy about. My facial expressions too often don't match what is going on around me because that's not where my focus is.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Yes, yes! I totally relate to the op. Not only do people mistake my pensiveness for anger, but when I am thinking of something amusing they asks me what I'm so happy about. My facial expressions too often don't match what is going on around me because that's not where my focus is.

Exactly :)