• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ organizational strategies

Scruffy1123

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hello,
I've just realized that I really need to have more structure in my life & be more disciplined to keep my stress level down, and keep myself emotionally grounded (ever so necessary if you're already prone to thinking with your gut, not your head).
The problem is, I don't know anyone with my personality to ask about how to reduce stress in this way. I'm always tired, getting too easily distracted, and then feeling guilty at the end of the day for not accomplishing more, so I then stay up way too late and perpetuate the cycle.
What I'm hoping for in some responses is some thoughts from any INFJ's about what has and hasn't worked for you when it comes to trying to find ways to keep yourself disciplined, grounded, and organized. I know I need more sleep, but would it be wise to set a bedtime for myself? And a regular waking up time (I'm a student in a program that has a constantly changing schedule, which is fun, but probably not good for my body). Should I adopt more structure and say that there are certain things (exercise, cleaning, finishing checklists) that I need to get done every day, or have you found that that approach only adds guilt and never works?
So, any thoughts would be very welcome. I have fit every characteristic of INFJ's that I've found on lists, to the point that it gives me the creepy feeling that someone's watching the inside of my head, so your thoughts will likely apply to me.

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Setting up a routine is good if you need structure. Writing out a list doesn't help much in the long run though... for me, I just had to get into the "rhythm" of doing things at the same time everyday. A schedule would work for a couple days, but then I couldn't maintain that high a level of structure for more than a few weeks. I've found it works better if I set goals in terms of what I have to get done by the end of the week, or the end of the day, and sort of prioritize them. I've found I tend to pressure myself too much and burn out if I just try to schedule every activity during the day.

Does that make sense?

Scruffy1123

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, that makes sense! I think it would help me if I attached priorities or categories to activities to help me know what I need to feel pressured about and what really doesn't matter when it hits that sleepy, illogical point of the night.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you have many interests--and this is why you go from topic to topic or activity to activity throughout your day--I recommend spending a little bit of time with each for fun. Even though you will not see really tangible achievements/accomplishments on a daily basis, by the end of a week you should have a sense that you have really progressed in each of your areas of interest. It keeps me from the guilt I feel at neglecting something if I cycle through everything. It keeps my interest level higher as well.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
I tend to just choose one thing to get done by the end of the day. Yes, it adds guilt if I don't do it, but it really should, because one thing isn't a difficult goal. Plus, when I do do it, it's amazing how much easier it is to move on to one more, and then one more, and I get a couple things done by the end of the day and not just one, and that feels great!

I also think a regular sleep/exercise schedule is a good thing for anyone. I also have a hard time with that from being a waitress and never getting home at a normal or decent time of night.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just keep up my integrity when aiming to be a good student. I try and get all my work done during the week so I can relax on the weekends. It make and keep up with a calendar, and I try to get things done anytime before the night before something is due. I make sure I read and outline each chapter before I go to class, so I can pick up on things I might have missed from the chapter... but that's a little extreme and only something I really do, lol. The classes at my university are kind of hard, so I just like to assure that I can make 'A'. It takes a lot of self-discipline, but it eventually becomes more habitual.

Structure is godly.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I set goals with vague timelines - like "I need to organize my room by the end of the week" instead of "I need to organize my room by Tuesday at 5pm". I'm driven by working towards goals, so it seems to do the trick. I also break large tasks down to smaller little projects so I don't feel overwhelmed. My motivation to organize is to make things easier for me in the future. For example, I organize my closet with the intention of making my clothes easier to find in the future.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
adderall. group work. community + accountability. transcendental meditation. set an alarm clock and wake up no matter what, you'll start falling asleep earlier. yoga (prefer ashtanga but the bikram variety is probably the most cathartic). eat whole foods. when i am low on physical energy i don't get inspired and everything feels pointless and i don't remember why i even want to do anything at all.

i don't really do these, but i know OF them. also, list-making is a false sense of hope.