• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] I'm a Damned Liar.

G

Ginkgo

Exactly.

Mystic, I think you just over analyzed being human. :)

I don't think there is such a thing as over-analyzing.

There are too many personal viewpoints. Too many places to wonder with your mind's eye. It's all helpful in some way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Anyway... it is good to grow past feeling like you can't hurt anyone's feelings, but I would be careful about accepting many of the views I see on the forum, which are mainly "pretend that it's better to be rude than nice."

I think that's just the post-modern mindset that started way back with the punk movement, and has since infiltrated itself into mainstream culture as a reaction against the fake-y nice 1950's style world, and of course the Victorians who were even more "mannered" (and dishonest) in the 19th century.

You need to learn to balance your concern for other people's feelings with being "real"

I very much agree with this, and it's kind of what I was saying in my own way.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the topic of self-censorship...I'm actually a rather blunt NFP. I'm not really big on self-censorship. The only reason I ever even practice it is because I respect, like, or love other people. Sometimes I do self-censorship just to save myself the hassle of having to deal with someone's reaction.

That's much more common with NFPs, IMO, than NFJs. Fi wants to be authentic. I've had to learn to be less blunt. That doesn't mean lying though, just saying things in a more palatable manner so that it's actually more effective instead of just offensive. You know, a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, bwhahaha :smile:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I'm pretty blunt (then again, my Fe seems to be a little defective, depending on the day...). I've actually haven't really seen NFPs be blunt, but maybe it's just me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's much more common with NFPs, IMO, than NFJs. Fi wants to be authentic. I've had to learn to be less blunt.

Yeah, I have always had problems with the opposite (the NFJ / Fe-related issue) and have had to learn to just be much more forward and not care about how people [general populace] respond. definitely ENFP is much more forward about what it's thinking.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I'm pretty blunt (then again, my Fe seems to be a little defective, depending on the day...). I've actually haven't really seen NFPs be blunt, but maybe it's just me.

Hm, I've actually been accused of being "abrasive" and "terse", which surprised me. Of course, it's always ESxx people who say that.

There's two people I know in person who I am quite sure are INFJs now, and one is very sweet, and the other is a lump that never talks. I suppose the 2nd probably seems less "nice" to people.

definitely ENFP is much more forward about what it's thinking.

Yes, extroverts are naturally more open about what they are thinking. I don't necessarily volunteer my opinions out of nowhere.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't even want to add emoticons to this thread, because I know that they are simply tools used to manipulate the psyches of readers.

Incidentally, emoticons are used to try to express what the person means, hopefully. You think everyone who uses emoticons are manipulating? It helps to set tone. :doh:

It helps to set tone. :steam:

It helps to set tone. :newwink:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ok.

I am hereby re-engaging the protocol whereby I insert a winky emoticon when I'm teasing.

And, that, my friends, is why I started using emoticons.

People who know me can read my feelings, but people who don't almost always miss my sarcasm. In a forum I was on people would sometimes have to clarify "just for the record, Elaur was being sarcastic, she doesn't want to move in with your mother"

Jaguar

And, that, my friends, is why I started using emoticons.

People who know me can read my feelings, but people who don't almost always miss my sarcasm. In a forum I was on people would sometimes have to clarify "just for the record, Elaur was being sarcastic, she doesn't want to move in with your mother"

Time in the forum has much to do with it.
I have no idea who cranky the crankster is.
Now if Ragingkatsuki had done it, I would have posted another 20 emoticons.
But then he and I know each other's sense of humor.

I don't see anything wrong with emoticons.
Just don't expect me to send out those blasted huggies. :D

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Blah blah blah insignificance of life blah blah search for meaning blah blah blah.

:doh:

:cry:

It doesn't mean anything blah blah blah blah.

:shock:

Blah blah keeping going on with it blah blah.

:coffee:

Blah blah blah feeling blah blah depth blah blah.

:wubbie:

Blah blah joy blah blah intensity blah blah blah blah love blah blah.

:D

Blah blah blah looking back blah blah.

:blush:

Blah blah blah. Blah. Blah blah.

It's not that complicated. Friggin NF's.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm on your side Mystic Tater :hi:

The sort of reactions I see here are the sort I get IRL when I speak openly. People often seem to miss the point.

Some points:

- Bluntness isn't inherently superior to tactfulness. I do at times admire people who are frank and forward with their opinions - you always know where they stand. That doesn't mean it can't be obnoxious and inappropriate. And remember there is a difference between honesty and truthfulness. You don’t need to tell your friend that her ass looks huge in those pants – you can tell her that it doesn’t suit her.

- Some people aren’t made for conflict. Usually my brain just shuts down when it starts - its completely involuntary. My mind says "f*ck this I'm outta here". I just can't do anything in that situation. On top of that I find it grating, distracting from the real issue and that it really doesn’t serve any purpose. For these reasons I avoid it. I have no problem with debate, even heated debate.

- Self-improvement is important. For me personally, I find it essential. I need to move forward, broaden my mind, seek new experiences, strive amend or reduce my faults. It doesn't have to be anything mind-shattering, I just need to be progressing. For me anything less is a stagnant pointless existence – like living hand to mouth.

- Self-improvement and self-acceptance are not necessarily in opposition. While not religious, I try to live by the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

- INFPs will be self-critical, over-analytical and perfectionistic. Yeah, there are times when we should just cheer up and get on with it but we are naturally unaccepting of the status quo. We see flaws in everything and can clearly see in our mind's eye, the preferred ideal. Our very lives are centred on bridging the gap between the flawed reality and its ideal. Telling us that that's wrong is like telling a SJ that tradition isn't important. We can't live any other way.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Simple. Because self-improvement is just another illusion. You don't really improve yourself in terms of your goals or ambitions, you just become more skilled at rationalizing and achieving them in a tangible way. Your motivations and intentions, the things that really matter, will never be any better than they were to begin with, and you cannot improve them. So you might as well accept yourself.

People create arbitrary systems of measurement by which they can believe they have improved, so that they don't have to face the fact that their entire life is just a slow march to death, impeded only by their instinctive desire to stay alive. We even design time in such a way as to avoid facing this fact. Why else would we represent it as a cycle that repeats rather than simply measured in a straight line from beginning to end? Because the latter reminds us too much of our mortality, and the former unconsciously conveys the false idea that things that go away will always come back. You cannot escape.

Feel good movie of the summer right here.

Edit: this thread has been hijacked.

/Diverting traffic towards OP's original argument.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Blah blah blah insignificance of life blah blah search for meaning blah blah blah.

:doh:

:cry:

It doesn't mean anything blah blah blah blah.

:shock:

Blah blah keeping going on with it blah blah.

:coffee:

Blah blah blah feeling blah blah depth blah blah.

:wubbie:

Blah blah joy blah blah intensity blah blah blah blah love blah blah.

:D

Blah blah blah looking back blah blah.

:blush:

Blah blah blah. Blah. Blah blah.

It's not that complicated. Friggin NF's.

LOL.