• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] How do you get an INFJ to trust you?

EricHanson

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was always wondering - if INFJs are often sometimes removed from people that they're not close to and don't deeply trust, how do you get become part of their inner circle, and get them to trust you. This is hard especially if they already have an inner circle. Sometimes, they also try and "save" you, and that's also very detrimental to relationship building in my opinion.

How do you get their attention, get past the initial awkwardness if there is any, become someone that they like, and deepen the relationship?

I've done it before, but it always takes a huge amount of effort, a lot of initial rejection, then a really really awkward phase, after which comes a really long period of light friendship, before finally we become close friends. This process can take years. So I must be doing something wrong.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  • Consistency
  • Open-mindedness
  • Willingness to explore emotions
  • Light on the criticism
  • Being attentive/listening
  • Time
  • Consistency
  • Willingness to commit
  • Respect
  • Being present
  • Encouraging growth of the INFJ

Consistency can't be stressed enough.

Carnallace

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can't speak for all INFJs, but for me, trust comes form respect and a tried-understanding.
An INFJs awkwardness is mostly fear. Because of the fear of rejection an INFJ won't reach out to you unless you reach out first.
Let the INFJ into your thoughts, past, feelings, problems, issues, etc. first without expecting the same back. We're not the most willing to express ourselves full-on without knowing who we're confiding in. If they feel that connection of ‘need’ with you, they’ll grow more comfortable.
When they do confide something with you, try your best to understand. Even if you can’t fathom how they feel or why they think a certain way, learn. As long as we see a true effort and interest to understand, we’ll accept your compassion and friendship. We don’t expect to be figured out. We don’t want to be figured out. We just want respect and attentiveness. Be open to our ideas, interpretations etc. If we see that you’re listening, we’ll want to be heard more often.

Now here’s where things tend to go wrong. Once an INFJ opens him/herself to you, don’t disregard how major that is for them, even 10+ years into the relationship. If they tell you something and you reject it or ridicule it, even if nonchalantly, they INFJ will back off for awhile until they can process where you’re coming from with the comment.
For me, my initial feeling when I don’t feel accepted or heard is anger and frustration, but once I think it over, I can forgive the person and understand where they’re coming from. But I do need time.
It’s in this time where I’ve found that most people lose my trust. Instead of accepting that I don’t want to share my feelings with them for the moment, they push and push and push until I lose respect for them.
Once I feel betrayed, I can never gain back the same openness with that person. Ever.

Understand, though, that it takes a lot for that willingness to share a mutual counsel to break down completely.
INFJs are, after all, an understanding group of people. We realize that emotions often take precedence in conversation, comments, actions, and we are willing to forgive and move forward. Yes, that conflict will always be in the back of our minds, but the relationship we’ve built with the person who hurt us will remain intact until we’ feel we’re forced to end it, or else end up being hurt far worse.

If you hurt an INFJ, first try and explain yourself, second give them space to think it over, and if the person still doesn’t come around, apologize once more, than let it go. I know I can’t stand when a person isn’t able to let go. I feel like they depend too much on me and I become afraid that I’ll only let them down. By making your status known to them, (hey, I made a mistake, I’m sorry I hurt you. I’d really like to continue being friends but I understand that you need some time right now…), feeling sincerely apologetic, and respecting that reserved part of them, they’ll come around, I can almost guarantee it.

As far as earning the trust, my best advice would be to be real. Don’t hide the parts of yourself that you think most people won’t accept. I can always accept a person, no matter what, truly. If you have a problem, let us in. We don’t like feeling excluded, especially from someone we care apart. We don’t like artificiality in our relationships.
Embrace our need to help. But don't be afraid to tell us to back off. If you feel like in the past INFJs have tried too forcefully to 'save' you, let them know that you're comfortable where you are and don't really want them to force you into something or someone you're not. If you present your need in a way that doesn't come off as threatening, and maybe even relate it to a way that, that person has felt in the past, we won't be upset by it.

Again, all INFJs are different, but this is how I feel about trust and relationships. :]

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

• [*]Consistency
    [*]Open-mindedness
  • Willingness to explore emotions
  • Light on the criticism
    [*]Being attentive/listening
    [*]Time
  • Consistency
    [*]Willingness to commit
    [*]Respect
  • Being present
  • Encouraging growth of the INFJ

Carnallace said:
As far as earning the trust, my best advice would be to be real. Don’t hide the parts of yourself that you think most people won’t accept. I can always accept a person, no matter what, truly. If you have a problem, let us in. We don’t like feeling excluded, especially from someone we care apart. We don’t like artificiality in our relationships.

-------------------------------

I find myself not knowing how to answer this question, because with some people it does take years for the friendship/connection to really deepen and blossom (even though it's clear throughout that time that I am interested in interacting with and prioritizing things with that other person and it slowly deepens as the years go by, and vice versa - i.e. we're both on the same page), but with a rare few I sense an instantaneous mutual understanding/trust, and what might take years with some might take a matter of weeks or months with another.

-Openness and fluidity of thought, exploration of thoughts, feelings, philosophies ,and any number of things
-Lack of self-consciousness and lack of 'trying' (i.e. they're not trying to appease me or play into what they think I might like, etc...when that happens, I feel they're trying to force something that's not natural - either forcing elements of themselves that aren't entirely true, or trying to force/bring about a relationship that might not develop of its own accord). I detect no subtle pressure, no prodding, no 'expectation' that they have of the relationship, no preconceived notions of who I am.
-They're being 100% real, no ulterior motives, and they respect me enough to allow me to share or interact in my own way, in my own time.

And sometimes I simply might not see myself ever connecting deeply with a person, so I might keep it more cordial/rigid on my end. Perhaps that means I in effect don't trust them, but I dunno...I'm just particular about who I really want to be close to, and it's kind of hard for me to articulate the exact qualities, as I don't know that there are exact qualities. It's the back-and-forth/dynamic itself.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
You're an ENTP, that makes getting us to trust you that little bit harder: 'Yeah, will he stick AROUND after we become friends? What 'side projects' will he have and wont tell me about?'

That sort of thing, thankfully INFJs let people into the friend zone quickly, but then after that its a steel wall, only passable by being yourself (if by being yourself means being honest, consistent, and respectful.)

Another thing is that we might be 'busy emotionally' and don't want to take on any more bonds that might just make it worse.

I skipped a bunch of posts, but I'm real sure the female INFJs have said much better things so far, but really, befriending an INFJ is like befriending a wild animal (Trust me, we can be wild, but maybe not in the Sensor way).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
be interesting, generous, and get super excited during stoned raps. we can sense connection. if it's there, we're really fucking happy. if it's not, we're disappointed and would rather be alone.

i like enps who are trustable, which just means you obviously both get off on the same shit and value each other's input, perspective, self-understandings, creativity, insight, etc. bc Ne is so freeing for us Ni doms, and bc both Ti and Fi help us understand the inner workings of the inner world of judgment. of personal values. of turning subjective experiences into values that organize internal understanding, DECISION-MAKING, relationship, etc. they help us understand the relationship between how people htink/organize and what they do externally, to make their cuts in the world and remove the refuse.

there's also the experience of geeks recognizing geeks and freaks recognizing freaks that makes you trust someone. recognition that is deep and intense means that if it is not important to them after the fact, well, they are probably a bad person. or too busy to be a good one. you have to care about someone if you see them completely, recognize their interior, and empathize. everyone has different needs and you can fake them to some degree, but probably not with infjs unless they're super desperate, meek, and unhealthy (which we sometimes are).

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Make sure that if you act like you care about her, that you care about her unconditionally. Do not act like you care in one situation if the minute everything is not perfect you plan to hightail it out of there. We would prefer if you just didn't care at all, then. This goes alongside of consistency, which was mentioned earlier. If you start out by texting the other person a lot, or calling the other person often, then when you actually get into a serious, comfortable relationship, don't think that you can only call her once a week. We will notice, and it will cause panic in the infj, lol. Just...if you're a low key person and only want contact with this other person once a week, then start out by doing that, from the get-go. Don't create bad surprises, because it'll set off the alarm bells.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honesty and consistency are a good place to start.

Edit: The external packaging is not particularly important to me. If someone is rude, blunt, and says terrible things, but after observing I can get an idea that their motivations are good, I can trust them. It might take me longer to recover if the person has all the social graces and seems really kindhearted, but then unexpectedly stabs me in the back. For me consistency has to do with the presentation of the person being authentic. There is also always the possibility for an individual to find patterns in a variety of people that either support or undermine trust. I have found that image conscious people tend to be the most critical and undermining of me, so when I get a whiff of that, I tend to back away a bit.

Goodewitch

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Everyone has given great answers here. Consistency.. sincerity,.. and real liking for the INFJ, thats palpable, and has a long lasting feel about it.
In the end, theres a few factors I can throw into the mix, that are personal to me, as an INFJ, so speaking for myself,.. I'd say,
Privacy.. this is important, if i tell you anything, anything at all, respect it and assume that its meant to be in confidence, and not shared as gossip fodder for your other freinds.
Values,.. this is something you cant fake, either you'll click with her values on most important things or you wont. If you dont, then there will always be some sort of reserve or slight disapproval there, even if she really likes you.. its that damned J thang!
Exclusivity.. yep, i know it might sound a bit Diva ish,... but sometimes INFJ's like to feel special.. as in your 'special' feind.. we dont like to one of a group of frends you keep. We like to feel special and sort of set apart.
And... time.. sorry, but theres no short cut on time. We need to know you'll be sticking around. That takes time to come to fruition.
Hope that helps a bit.
G. x

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Persistence. Stick around for a few long nights of conversation - that's where the two types line up the best. Everyone else is ready for bed way earlier than we are.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would say that I'm closest to those who are/can be vulnerable with me.

It's not tit for tat though. While someone being vulnerable might enable me to be vulnerable, it doesn't guarantee that I'll choose to. On the other hand, if you're never vulnerable and you're always just talking about random, silly, inconsequential, non-deep stuff.... well, I'm simply not interested in that kind of interaction. At all. Period.

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
Speaking from fairly close friendships with two INFJs.

Values,.. this is something you cant fake, either you'll click with her values on most important things or you wont. If you dont, then there will always be some sort of reserve or slight disapproval there, even if she really likes you.. its that damned J thang!

I definitely agree that similar values are very important -- but i think this is true for all people not just INFJs? If anything, its the NF-ness that causes this, not just the J. NFPs are very conscious of aligned values as well (its the Fi).

Persistence. Stick around for a few long nights of conversation - that's where the two types line up the best. Everyone else is ready for bed way earlier than we are.

^ Soooo true! Haha, INFJs are the people with whom i stay up on the phone til 5am -- no other type seems as willing to engage in terrifically long conversations.

By the way, all you need to sustain abovementioned long conversations is genuine interest, and some measure of concern. :) I have great convos with INFJs, and both of them tell me they really love talking to me :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There were some really lovely comments in this thread. I don't have anything much more insightful to say, but I would add/reiterate that the people I really like and trust have usually been in my life for AT LEAST six months or more (I can really trust someone at that point but we need to have spent a good amount of time and conversation together), they at least try to be consistent with me, they don't belittle or dismiss my emotions, and they are likely to be at least somewhat vulnerable with me at least occasionally.

If they succeed in really letting me down and angering me/upsetting me (and they need to have done something fairly bad, or show a pattern of inconsiderateness and hurtfulness), they may be able to regain my trust (whether partially or totally, only time will tell) by apologising sincerely and showing that they've taken on board whatever I tell them about why my feelings were hurt - even if that involves some major changes in their behaviour toward me.

Shared values are very important, but I would have a far greater level of trust (though maybe not total trust) with someone whose values are somewhat different from mine, but who is true to them, than someone who superficially shares my values but frequently/mostly doesn't apply them in their lives or stay true to them.

And certainly they should show that they are willing to invest at least a fairly significant amount of time and effort in me for me to really trust them...because if I feel that way about someone, the amount of time/effort I would invest in them is pretty much without limit.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
pizza_ua%5B1%5D.jpg

:D

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm- well for one thing I know people gain my trust by speaking in my love language and showing me that I am a priority.

Time is very important to me and interaction is very draining- I look at time spent with people as a serious investment- if a person is not trustworthy then that is time wasted and I have been drained for nothing. I save my energy and time for people who are a priority to me only and who make me a priority. Show me you are making me a priority and that my time is meaningful to you and I will be more trusting of you and will want to invest more in the relationship.

I respect people who are honest even if it puts them at a disadvantage that is very trust endearing for me at least. Displays of integrity build great confidence.

The more self aware you seem and reflective the more likely I am to trust you because the more you know who you are the more I can trust you to not be flaky and change on me and seem to lie- if you are aware of what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are- your battles in life and how you need to grow and how you have grown- that is very appealing to gaining trust.

Know why you like me and be able to describe it- be specific. Make sure to display that there is a meaningful exchange taking place that is special and make me feel understood by asking questions and restating things I tell you and what you observe of me, make observations of me and tell me them and don't be afraid to challenge me- the more I see you as an asset to helping me grow as a person, the more I will trust you.

Consistentcy also very very very very very key. Perhaps most important of all. This is just how it is for me- I can't speak for all INFJ's and who knows if yours is like me.