• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFP, how do you read?

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
for is named "random" someone surprising That's who.

don't think too hard, haha

BTW, cool name...I probably could have used a name just like that one as well I'm always sayin things are awesome (including myself)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Wait, you guys know how to read???

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
Wait, you guys know how to read???

was that you in the 'Hooked on Phonics' section in Fry's Electronics yesterday??

I'd like to quote the great movie Zoolander here:
"Words can only hurt you if you try to read them. Don’t play their game."

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I never read out of order or skim (unless I'm hurrying to finish a book for class). That just ruins the whole point in reading for me, which is to enjoy a story. The author wrote it in that order for a reason.

If the book's boring enough to make me want to skim it/skip through it, then I won't read the book. But that usually doesn't happen.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do not read in order, but I have a system for how I read. And that system is based on my intent for reading the material.

a) NO INTRODUCTIONS OR OTHER CRAP NO MATTER WHAT: I skip the introduction, prologue, whatever. I don't want other fools telling me what to think. If it's for fun, for a project, for a paper, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Intros and the like are taboo for me.

b) READ INTERESTING THINGS FIRST: If I think a particular chapter is useful to my research/paper/general knowledge, I will read that first to satiate my curiosity; otherwise, I will not be able to focus on the rest, having ants in my pants to get to that part anyway.

c) READING THE BODY OF THE TEXT: I will read the rest either very intently if I find the material interesting, or in a skimming/speed-reading fashion if I have a ton of material to get through.

d) NOVELS: If I am interested in a novel, sometimes I cannot wait, and read the end when I'm in the middle. Or I will skip over a boring section. Or I will browse for a more interesting section. When I was a teenager and full of hormones, that meant the 'love scenes' (yes, I admit!); now it usually means skipping a bunch of mumbo-jumbo shit about the scenery because I really want to imagine it myself.

However, this typically works against me in mysteries because I will miss some 'crucial detail,' and then be pissed that I could not work out the end. I used to think, "FUCK, do some people actually figure these things out??? Shit. I miss all the 'important' stuff, which seems like trivial bullshit to me." As a result, I suck at figuring out mysteries.

e) UNIVERSITY PREP: If I have 200 pages of reading due by Monday, and I have been procrastinating (or if my prof is evil and gives 200 pages due in two days), I will definitely read the first and last sentence of every paragraph, as the main idea is ALWAYS in either the first or last sentence. Then I scan the rest like the scanner on a printer.

I CAN RECOMMEND ONLY THIS METHOD FOR PEOPLE DROWNING IN READING. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!! NO PROF WANTS THE DETAILS ANYWAY: HE WANTS YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE GIST.

f) SOURCES FOR PAPERS: If I have a book that I need as a source for a paper, I will inevitably scan the index for keywords that could help me, and go directly to those pages, scan the pages for interesting info, and read more intensively if I find keywords popping up that could be interesting. Or I use the first/last sentence method.

ilovereeses

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
9w8
I only can only read it if it interests me. Otherwise I'm completely unfocused and distracted and accomplish nothing x_x

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I read novels in order. And would say I'm quite traditional also. I skim and fill out the picture with articles and stuff when I'm bored or not interested in most of the material.

I write in order normally. Well it comes out that way at least. I'll sometimes not put it on the page in order but I normally know where it is all going just get down the most important parts first.