• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Any NFs who didn't totally hate math?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've noticed lately lot of NFs saying how they hated math. I liked math, it wasn't my best subject in school, but once I got to algebra it got easier for me. Before then I couldn't stand it, but once it started making since, I liked it. Now I'll never major in it or base my career off of it, but sometimes I enjoyed algebra just because all you had to do was balance the equation.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really enjoyed math. :) Things got really 'fun' with calculus. I don't remember getting bored with it, or finding it tiresome. I remember genuinely liking it, and wanting to understand it. And, being frustrated when I couldn't grasp certain areas of math easily (i.e. calc. of several variables).

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I totally love statistics. :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am capable of enjoying algebra, but I'm not really that good at it.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yeah, I enjoyed maths. It was easily my best subject at school.

I'd never choose it as my career path, (I'd die of boredom) but in school most of it clicked relatively easily for me. And there was something so nice about being able to complete 30 little questions this hour or whatever. It made me feel accomplished. Instead of silly essays which took you two hours and you were still in the middle of it.

(Haha. I suppose I also miss the ease and speed of it all - now I have to do assessments that take me 50+ hours. Each. :cry:)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Yeah, I enjoyed maths. It was easily my best subject at school.

I'd never choose it as my career path, (I'd die of boredom) but in school most of it clicked relatively easily for me. And there was something so nice about being able to complete 30 little questions this hour or whatever. It made me feel accomplished. Instead of silly essays which took you two hours and you were still in the middle of it.

yes I agree with ALL of this!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
math is a spawn of satan.

Bethy

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hated math until junior high, which is when the constant barrage of long division problems and multiplication drills ended and the algebra and geometry began. I slowly started getting better grades in math, and in high school I got all A's in Calculus without even studying. I didn't need to; I just knew how to solve everything.

Then I went to college and it was all gone with the wind. I had to work like crazy to achieve a C+ in Calculus I, the lowest grade on my whole transcript.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoy analyzing curves in R3 :devil:

Seriously though, math has always been my favourite in school - as long as we're not dragging our heels through the topics....

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
no math for me. I let my values slip in high school and cheated my way through math all four years. The ONLY subject I ever cheated in.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I liked doing proofs in geometry because it was about using words and logic to describe pictures.

I hate math with numbers because I can't keep the numbers straight. It feels like numbers don't have any real meaning, and I have to think really hard to remember what they stand for. They seem to twist around and switch places and stuff. I look at a word and it has a hundred different shades of meaning; I look at a number and I have to think very hard to recall its significance.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I found equations, logic problems, formulas, and things like that fairly easy, but I had a lot of trouble with graphs and shapes. Sometimes I sort of "cheated," and used a series of equations/tables to solve the problem without a graph, and then just copied the graph from my calculator after telling it what to graph. And of course the teacher couldn't tell what method I used, so...

I found most of it extremely boring, and didn't care much for it, but I didn't actually have trouble understanding it when I focused.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I liked Geometry and Trigonometry. Geometry and Trigonometry did not like me, but my teachers did. ;) HATE HATED HATED algebra. Absolutely HATED it.

The best part of math was my brand new TI-83 that I got somebody to put Tetris on. How many tests I would've passed had I been paying attention instead of playing Tetris is like wondering how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie pop.

Now, I'll remember random stuff from math classes like unions, the Pythagorean Theorem, and asymptotes. Very strange dreams.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I loved math, overall, but I didn't like geometry (proofs were soooooo boring, I hated physically writing out all those steps). I LOVED algebra and calculus. They just made sense to me. I never even had to try.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm definitely a math person. I was always a differential equations fan. :)

Usehername

On a mission
My INFP bro is a math whiz; so is my INFP friend. They both enjoy it, I think.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm a self-professed formula-holic...

I actually enjoyed math and algebra in school. Unfortunately, I haven't been all that good in math over the years... I'm very forgetful, and I trust the calculator WAY more than my own calculations (even very simple calculations which is very depressing).

Do you know what, though? I am fascinated beyond words with Excel and FORMULAS! I have to admit that I have and will spend an inordinate amount of time building complicated structured formulas for my Excel spreadsheets at work. I will lose my mind with happiness and will be jumping up and down and hooping and hollering when I find the right combination for a formula that I am needing (of course, all of this is in my mind... never EVER out loud!) I know, I know... I am so strange.

My mathamatician boyfriend (INTP) loves it, though, because he loves spreadsheets and formulas as much as I do (YIPPEE!!!) He has been so helpful feeding my formula obsession! For someone who isn't good at math, I have figured out formulas pretty well. Go figure...

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
A close friend of mine is an INFJ. He sucks at arithmetic, especially of the mental-calculation variety. He really enjoys advanced graduate mathematics.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A close friend of mine is an INFJ. He sucks at arithmetic, especially of the mental-calculation variety. He really enjoys advanced graduate mathematics.

Oh dear god, I'm horrible at mental arithmetic. And I hate it! Because it makes me sound like a retard who doesn't know how add/subtract...etc. I don't know why, but my ability to do math in my head has slipped drastically in the last few years. Guess it's just not that important that I don't use it enough.

However, I did love trigonometric proofs in high school. About the only type of calculus that I became "close" friends with. The rest of it was a constant battle against my inherent abilities. I still did well, though, and mildly enjoyed the experience. But that doesn't mean I didn't fail a good number of tests.