• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Meditation and MBTI

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
Following up on Ni Activities thread i think this topic probably demands a new thread

So here we go

Let me just throw out this idea which struck me a little while back... regarding meditation and psychology.

translating spirituality into mbti could be working along these lines.

step 1 switch off j/p by closing your eyes and sitting in lotus position/or a chair
step 2 let thoughts/feelings flow dont use judging function on them
step 3 let the thoughts/feelings slow down and finish
step 4 now you are operating purely on N/S axis. called thoughtless state.
step 5 withdraw awareness from Senses (take life energy from lowest chakra and collect it at the 3rd eye/6th chakra)
step 6 S will switch off after some time and you will operate on pure N
step 7 once you are in pure N consciousness is free to move/out of body experience

So there we have Astral PRojection happening and intuition being developed and person getting grounded (in paradoxical way as i feel meditators use their brains more efficiently and there is less neuroticism and more stability in behaviour).

Perhaps daydreams are very close to pure N/meditative state already.
Comments on this speculation/translation of meditation on mbti scale is welcome!

edit: for those not familiar with meditation or astral projection here is a 12 part video series on youtube YouTube - How to meditate (part 1)

Last edited:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting, but why did you leave E/I out? Meditation is a purely introverted activity as I see it.

And by that I of course don't mean that only introverts do it, but just the activity itself is introverted.

Also, there are different kinds of meditation. When you aren't visualizing, but just trying to get a perfectly silent state of mind, then you should turn off all processes, including N. Which can be hard.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This would be interesting to reach for me, Being internal judging dominant that is my most concious used function. I have never been successful in the past. I have to use music to let my feelings run free, not sure about ideas.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
completely disagree with your understanding/mapping of functions.

for instance thinking is judging (including perception), even when it flows.
and astral projections are dreams, dreams are not intuition, they are like a different operating system. it's like: at waking consciousness you run windows and inside of it you have a program called mbti. then you reboot (when you dream or daydream or access a deep meditative state) into linux and there you have a program called astral projection, among other interesting programs. of course both programs access your hard drive or the internet, so the astral-dream in linux may channel the same contents, that can be acceded by your windows function N or that can be organized by your windows function T. functions are not contents, they are structures that organize, focus, differentiate, ... same goes for altered states.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
Interesting, but why did you leave E/I out? Meditation is a purely introverted activity as I see it.

And by that I of course don't mean that only introverts do it, but just the activity itself is introverted.

Also, there are different kinds of meditation. When you aren't visualizing, but just trying to get a perfectly silent state of mind, then you should turn off all processes, including N. Which can be hard.

oh some people can meditate on external objects as well.. like day dreaming or focusing on a candle flame or any other object. partial meditation. some gurus meditate with half an eye lid open. id say the focus is steady its neither internal nor external. its just awareness so i/e dont come into play. an expert could meditate even in a crowd.

yea the silent state of mind is which is the most interesting, not the other kinds. and do we need to switch off N or is N the all encompassing awareness or the soul? dont know, will need to work through the steps before there can be any definite answer to that one!!!

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
This would be interesting to reach for me, Being internal judging dominant that is my most concious used function. I have never been successful in the past. I have to use music to let my feelings run free, not sure about ideas.

being internal judging dominant would make it tougher for you? Rather interesting. Thats why people have sudden enlightenment. Maybe the initial steps would be a tad tough but you would shoot off ahead of the rest of the pack with the remaining steps or some steps could click simultaneously for some types? :D

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
completely disagree with your understanding/mapping of functions.

for instance thinking is judging (including perception), even when it flows.
and astral projections are dreams, dreams are not intuition, they are like a different operating system. it's like: at waking consciousness you run windows and inside of it you have a program called mbti. then you reboot (when you dream or daydream or access a deep meditative state) into linux and there you have a program called astral projection, among other interesting programs. of course both programs access your hard drive or the internet, so the astral-dream in linux may channel the same contents, that can be acceded by your windows function N or that can be organized by your windows function T. functions are not contents, they are structures that organize, focus, differentiate, ... same goes for altered states.

ok whether astral projection is a dream or an OBE lets settle that individually by having that experience for ourselves! theres no sure way of finding out until we reach that stage! nice example of OSes though! :D

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
some more inputs would be welcome guys. just to play devils advocate. in Step 1 you cant turn off P as P is from what N/S work. Does that invalidate the op?

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
Engage in some esoteric/creative stuff guys. im getting bored discussing problems in typoC!!