• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Try not to make fun...

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, and yes. Actually, more the latter than the former. And it's not all the time...mostly people with whom I feel a closer connection.

OK. My further thoughts. I've been trying to do it more purposefully, and finding I can't bring myself to do it when I know they can probably deal with the emotion of the moment. When I do it, it's in a moment of blind empathetic reaction when the person is obviously completely overwhelmed with emotion, to the point of not being able to calm themselves. Maybe that's what's required for me to feel that deep empathy, or maybe my rational side is stopping me the rest of the time, so that the people around me stay healthy and know how to deal with their own emotions.

I dunno. I've also noticed that I seem to feel the impulse to deeply comfort more with certain emotions more than others. Pain is a huge one. The biggest really. Anger is really huge, and overwhelming, and doesn't seem to be something I can help with. In fact, it feels almost wrong to try to relieve it. :huh: Stress, panic, discouragement and despair seem helpable.

I feel like Alice right after she fell down the rabbit hole. :blush:

Here's a funny one: I was walking through the parking lot of a health store yesterday, and I sensed the man across the parking lot was going to sneeze when he passed my baby and I (I know, right? :shock::doh:), and automatically overruled my impulse to scoff and shifted my baby to my other hip and covered her face. And, a few seconds later, as we passed...the dude sneezed. :huh: I was officially weirded out.
I've had some weird experiences too, like recently sitting in my car in the parking lot at work, and seeing someone that I know owns a red sports car, walking into a section of the parking lot where there were no red cars, or sports cars, so I think to myself, "What car is he going too?" and I immediately get a mental image of a white Volkswagen bus, and then I watch him walk over to a white Volkswagen bus, unlock the door, and get in. I have had many experiences where I swear I must be a mind reader, but I don't try to be.

I agree that anger is hard to penetrate, and anger directed at me, can be overwhelming. Most of the people I have helped with emotional overwhelm were not in proximity with me. It's been mainly online friends that I have given help with this to, some who live in Europe, others who live a few states away. I call it connecting to the person. Some call it mind touch. I feel someone's vibe, and they feel me feeling them, and then I feel them feeling me, and it's like this link get's established between us. I call it sharing a memory buffer, because we start feeling one another's emotions, and if the other person is feeling emotional overwhelm, I start getting inundated with that overwhelming feeling of theirs and I start sending calm back, as much to protect my nerves, as to relieve them. I call it telepathic hugs. I create in my imagination the feel of receiving a hug, and then send that 'feel' to the person I have connected myself to, and the other person feels hugged, or that's often what happens; sometimes it only relieves the tension of the overwhelmed feeling, which was my goal anyway. Right after 911, some of my online friends who lived close to NYC had need for some telepathic hugs.

Relating to mind touch, I had a wild experience a few years ago, with a picture on the front cover of a Speigel's catalog that was sitting on a magazine rack in a local grocery store, and when I saw her picture, she felt 'kindred', a term I got from another online friend that means the person feels familiar like a sister when I first encounter them. When a person feels kindred, that usually means I have much in common with them, often including ability to mind touch with them. When I noticed she felt kindred, I thought, "Hmmm, weird." and I started to walk off, when suddenly it felt like she was thinking, "Hey where do you think you're going?". I had a connection with her that lasted for about two weeks. Totally random.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
Also I have had occasions where someone has connected to me, after reading one of my posts, and I have no clue who it is, but they feel safe to me, so I just go with it. Additionally there are many folks in this world who have no clue that they possess this ability. I used to be this way, until an online friend taught me about me. I've been connected with people who had no clue what they were experiencing other than that they were feeling the high and intense energy that you get from the connection, without having any idea why.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
i guess when ure feeling negative, then u automatically reject all such incoming connections. lol sounds like a DSL modem. but its true, i feel connected to people in such way too. its a warm feeling. maybe this is what N is all about.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
i guess when ure feeling negative, then u automatically reject all such incoming connections. lol sounds like a DSL modem. but its true, i feel connected to people in such way too. its a warm feeling. maybe this is what N is all about.
I don't know. Not all N type folks seem to have the ability, and one of my online kindred friends that I have since lost track of, other than still being able to 'find' her, insisted that her type was ISFP.

That term 'find' is empathic_speak for the ability to intuit/feel the existence of a person in the world. I have no clue how I accomplish this, or how I know that what I am feeling actually is the person I am trying to find. I just 'know'. I have discovered that after a person passes away, I can no longer find them. It really surprised me after my Dad passed away, seeing him in the funeral home, his body felt like a vacant house. I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious that he wasn't in there anymore. I'm probably revealing that I don't have a lot of exposure to corpses.

Another very fascinating discovery: One of my online kindred friends has epilepsy, and I have discovered that after she has a seizure, I often cannot find her for an hour or two after it. I have wondered what I am feeling when I find a person. This makes it sound like all people are transmitters and don't know it.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
Another very fascinating discovery: One of my online kindred friends has epilepsy, and I have discovered that after she has a seizure, I often cannot find her for an hour or two after it. I have wondered what I am feeling when I find a person. This makes it sound like all people are transmitters and don't know it.

interesting what about when they are sleeping?

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
No. When a person is sleeping their energy feels different, so that I can often perceive whether a person is awake or asleep, but I still have no trouble finding them.

i respect yur ability. pretty awesome. i would wonder if during sleep the soul drifts away to other dimensions in a way of astral travel, if thats still detectable? and when someone meditates and consciously moves towards astral projection is that detectable, till what point.?

i wonder too when a person dies their soul moves into other dimensions is that detectable?

and when a person is reborn the soul is same, is that detectable? do u feel ure dads back? did u feel his soul drift in the astral plane?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't think so. While I think what's being discussed in this thread is really interesting, I don't think it's wise to associate it strongly with mbti. I think it's a separate sort of 'gift', if you will.

I know that I can't really relate to what's being discussed, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it IS interesting/unique.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
i respect yur ability. pretty awesome. i would wonder if during sleep the soul drifts away to other dimensions in a way of astral travel, if thats still detectable? and when someone meditates and consciously moves towards astral projection is that detectable, till what point.?

i wonder too when a person dies their soul moves into other dimensions is that detectable?

and when a person is reborn the soul is same, is that detectable? do u feel ure dads back? did u feel his soul drift in the astral plane?
I used to think what I was feeling was the person's soul, but my experiences with the kindred friend with epilepsy seems to disprove that hypothesis.

And no I did not feel his soul leave his body. I was not near him when he died, I was on the road still some 80 miles away, trying to get there before he died, but he didn't last that long. However I was connected with him at the time even though he wasn't conscious.

Edit: I had more here but it was very private, to me, things, and I felt uncomfortable having it exposed here, sorry.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
I used to think what I was feeling was the person's soul, but my experiences with the kindred friend with epilepsy seems to disprove that hypothesis.

its valuable what u have shared. so is u're hypothesis that we are natural empathic transmitters without bringing in the concept of soul?

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
its valuable what u have shared. so is u're hypothesis that we are natural empathic transmitters without bringing in the concept of soul?
It is my theory that what I feel from people is not their soul, but something they send from their mind, except that evening, I felt my Dad in the room with me. What was I feeling then. Also, after the last time we had to put down our dog, I could feel him in the car with me for about an hour that afternoon, after we had had the vet put him down that morning. I honest don't know what I am feeling, and when I try to figure it out, I can come up with lots evidence that seems to disprove any theory I try to put together. I think these kinds of gifts work best on faith, and don't respond well to analysis.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
its valuable what u have shared.
Ok, I was going to talk about a symbolic image that I experienced right after my Dad passed away, but that's too personal for me. My theory is that symbolic image comes from my other intuition, my Introverted intuition that is supposed to be a shadow process for INFP. But I don't know whether my experiences here are anything that is uncommon for other INFPs. I think these come from my introverted intuition because of the way they function differently. My extroverted intuition makes connections between seemingly unrelated facts, events, etc. and demonstrates ways they are related, and it sees patterns in external things, and identifies how behaviors fit into a given pattern, this kind of thing. But communications from my other intuition bubble up from deep inside, and they just play in my mind's eye, or they manifest as inner knowing, and unlike Extroverted Intuition that gives me several things that could be the cause of something, my other intuition gives me one answer and says, this is what is happening, or this is the correct answer.

Symbolic image, I also call them flash image because they are usually quick little things, are usually more like videos than pictures, and they usually are either symbolic of something that is currently occurring or of something that will occur. I am trying to think of another example of a symbolic image I have experienced. I had one in mind last night, but I've forgotten it now.

My other intuition also seems to have a mind of it's own, or seems like it acts on my behalf but independent of me, or certainly independent of my conscious mind. I think when folks who are INTP make reference to their muse, that they are talking about the same function in their personality. I have had online friends write me thanking me for 'being with them' at some funeral, or some stressful situation, and at the time I wasn't cognizant of being with this person, but they insisted that it felt like me. Please understand that 'being with them' is more empathic_speak for being connected with the other person while they are doing some stressful activity, or whatever. We say 'being with' but there is no proximity involved.

Also the contents of this web page from the "INFJ or INFP a Closer Look" web site, adds credence to my theory that what I am dealing with is my shadow introverted intuition. INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
^ i guess we can analyse intuitively or logically, thats the beauty of analysis. probably some things have to be taken on faith, i just tend to analyse predominantly!! what to do? hahaha

its interesting how you dissect your psychology, plus the example of the online friend feeling you are with them, it does seem to go back to the OPs idea of empathy. This word 'empathy' is probably much deeper than what its face value suggests.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
^ i guess we can analyse intuitively or logically, thats the beauty of analysis. probably some things have to be taken on faith, i just tend to analyse predominantly!! what to do? hahaha

its interesting how you dissect your psychology, plus the example of the online friend feeling you are with them, it does seem to go back to the OPs idea of empathy. This word 'empathy' is probably much deeper than what its face value suggests.
Ask anyone who knows me well. I am a very analytical person.

dcmicrowave

MBTI Type
INFP
i have extremely strong connections with certain people. i feel others' strong emotions from great distances. often i will become aware of these "shadow" intuitions via some unrelated event. i believe that i am simply able to web-think through chronological events in a cause-and-effect manner, and come to the conclusion that someone is experiencing a strong emotion in a very quick and sometimes abstract way for some certain reason. sometimes i can come up with the reason, sometimes i can't. i chalk it up to self-awareness. i will call them if possible to determine the actual situation and more often than not, i am right that *something* happened or *is* happening.

this happens with my sister a lot. we are and have been very close. this has become very garbled, i think, but essentially i feel that i am just able to think through situations without thinking about what i know. like... if my sister told me that she was going to have a test that would be very stressful, i might forget this fact, and then somehow conjure it up without thinking about it... and then get the feeling that i know she is stressed out about something. it can be much, much more complex than that, but that might be a good example of what i am trying to imply.

in terms of technology, something is "good" if it works as if by magic. like cars. just get in and turn it on. you don't need to know shit. but if you DO know shit... you can explain to someone why the car broke down after you heard that little rattle. the more you know, the more you can feel about what you know. that might imply, in some small way, that if you don't know someone at all, you won't be able to professor X them. is this accurate for you?

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
there is one more issue with empathy. the more easily one can empathize with people, the more out of control does empathy get. it sometimes becomes unavoidable to even contract others diseases (like a pain in the foot, or a cold)! so i guess most NF's generally tone their ability to empathize overall.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
in terms of technology, something is "good" if it works as if by magic. like cars. just get in and turn it on. you don't need to know shit. but if you DO know shit... you can explain to someone why the car broke down after you heard that little rattle. the more you know, the more you can feel about what you know. that might imply, in some small way, that if you don't know someone at all, you won't be able to professor X them. is this accurate for you?
There are two kinds of knowledge about empathic things. There is how to operate the gift knowledge, and there is how it functions knowledge. I am the type that loves to get down to the command line level of things and figure out what is actually happening at the nitty gritty level, but with my empathic gifts I have found that trying to figure them out is counter productive. It is easier and more powerful for me, if I just believe they work and use them on faith. Knowing how to use them, and what their functions and abilities are, is something else.

As for not knowing someone at all, I guess your statement would be true, for I wouldn't know they exist, and wouldn't be interested in working to be of benefit to them, but once I know they exist, I no longer can say I don't know them at all. I may not know them very well, but once I know they exist, I usually can find them if they are also living, and when I find them, there are some things I can often determine about them without conversing with them, or even seeing them. And when I know they exist, I can also pray for them.

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
I feel like I have high jacked your thread, Monkey Grass, and I apologize for that, but I am happy to have met you. You feel like a deeply loving and very gifted soul.

I am curious if we are demonstrating an Fi / Fe difference, the way you tend to approach the problem when it's out in front of you, and you want to reach out and touch to, if you will, drain off the overload, where if I encountered some one in my personal space who is experiencing emotional overload, or pain, my first impulse would be to pray for them, and try to touch them with the fingers of my mind. Perhaps your approach is faster and more effective, and I did not mean to imply that you don't pray first. Perhaps I should try using something more direct like that.

I wish you well Monkey Grass. God bless you.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
^ we are luckily still on empathy

one of the most common examples of empathy would be... a person sneezing because he saw another sneeze... or yawning because he saw another yawning.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I feel like I have high jacked your thread, Monkey Grass, and I apologize for that, but I am happy to have met you. You feel like a deeply loving and very gifted soul.

I am curious if we are demonstrating an Fi / Fe difference, the way you tend to approach the problem when it's out in front of you, and you want to reach out and touch to, if you will, drain off the overload, where if I encountered some one in my personal space who is experiencing emotional overload, or pain, my first impulse would be to pray for them, and try to touch them with the fingers of my mind. Perhaps your approach is faster and more effective, and I did not mean to imply that you don't pray first. Perhaps I should try using something more direct like that.

I wish you well Monkey Grass. God bless you.

I think I tend to pray in my heart constantly. :heart: I think that's what helps me not get completely overloaded with the pain of others, actually.