• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Please help me to feel inspired again??

faultyideal

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
4w5
It sucks going day after monotonous day feeling nothing but apathy and emptiness.

It seems to have been months since I've reveled in the joys of life. I mean I still get bursts of powerful emotions, like maybe once every two weeks, but otherwise I live in a haze. I want to feel again, but something's taken a hold on my spirit, dampening it. I want to create, but as soon as I sit down to write or paint the energy has passed; it goes from my heart and soul straight to my overanalyzing, self conscious head.

I know this sounds stupid and pathetic but can anyone give me any tips on how to be inspired by the here and now instead of my darkening and fearful imagination?

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
... And if this doesn't work maybe you should try sitting next to an ENFP for a little while- just sayin

faultyideal

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
4w5
ENFPs do help me get away from the emo-itude.

And where'd the Lindyhop come from? Like 20's jazz?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
when i was about 20 yrs old, my creativity shifted from drawing concept art to trolling on the internet. but i am still creative. i am kidding, but my point is, that your inner creations (whatever your should wants to give birth to) may have become unrecognizable to you, as your mind holds on to the concept, that it should repeat something like that which it has created before. so then, "wanting" to be creative is part of the problem, because it's a concept of the mind. i feel inspired by human demands/opportunities (cause). if i can help someone to understand why suicide may not be the best idea, that's better than drawing an image with a guy with a big sword ..

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Big band music, a little different than jazz-Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, etc. So, the term Lindyhop comes from Lindenburg Johnson hopping all over the US in his zeppelin thingy, although the dancing etiology itself I have no idea about- just that it's 100% American- Not too many other dances can claim this and that it was originally created by African Americans. The concept of flipping ones partner (aka air steps or aerials) was invented by one guy named Frankie manning who passed away this year. That is a whole other sect of Lindy.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Since you're an F, you need to get involved in activities which puts you in touch with people who inspire you. Get involved with a local meetup group of interest to you.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I know this sounds stupid and pathetic but can anyone give me any tips on how to be inspired by the here and now instead of my darkening and fearful imagination?

Move out of Florida.

(That was the most important sentence you will ever hear)

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Move out of Florida.

(That was the most important sentence you will ever hear)

Ahaha!! I was part of a group that attempted to create a grassroots film coalition in the Bay Area back in 2002-2004. There was a core group of four directors, one producer, and three writers to start. Most of them have moved on to L.A. and N.Y. now, lol.

Florida DOES have its inspirations though! It really does :D

To the OP:

I've been through what you described, multiple times. There was a point in my life that I had really 'given up' in my head, I just could not imagine ever feeling the creativity and inspiration I'd felt in previous years. It sort of felt like domestic life and the demands of 'the real world' had gotten their way, and killed off huge sectors of my imagination.

It turned out not to be true though. I used to despair myself, just feeling empty because I would sit down to write and it was like NOTHING was there. It was just a very sore spot, and truly painful. Thing is, the DESIRE never went away and I think that was actually the difference. I think if it's REALLY gone, there is no emotion whatsoever about it. I think the fact that you want it so much and really FEEL things about it is a good sign that your creativity has not gone anywhere. It's just stifled for one reason or another.

I'm not sure how you work, or what outside factors might be contributing to you feeling blocked, but I would say one of the things that set my mind free in terms of creativity was taking the pressure off myself to create something HUGE. It can become like the monster under the bed after awhile.

If you have too tight a grip on what you want to achieve, it can grow into this looming monster that you subconsciously avoid. For instance, I have a novel I've been planning and dreaming up since I was 15. When I finally sat down to write it at age 29, I found that I'd built up all this pressure on myself to DELIVER a great story because I'd sunk so many hopes and ideals into it. I was editing too much as I wrote, I was clinging too hard to previous ideas instead of being organic, I was holding myself to this expectation of a 'great work' too much. Once I dropped all of that out of my head and said "I'm just going to WRITE whatever is in my head and I'll worry about the rest later", I was able to write with so much more freedom.

So basically, don't pressure yourself to be the next great artist and don't pressure yourself to produce the next great art. Just let yourself create whatever it is you create. Looking at my work as stepping stones that created a path as I went along was better than trying to stick to some path I'd already created. If that makes sense!

Also, I found that revisiting all the things which inspired me to be a writer in the first place helped immensely. My favorite books as a kid, pictures of the places I used to explore in my old hometown as a child, music I grew up with but hadn't heard in a long time, etc. It sparked a lot of that love and desire back up in me.

Exposing myself to new artistic stimulation helped as well, and funny enough, a lot of the times it was the art forms I initially scoffed at which gave me the most inspiration at times. I was never a fan of modern art myself, but upon delving into it more I found lots of artists that really touched me and inspired me to write. It was like it opened new areas of imagination in my mind but still brought up new ideas in the vein of what I want to say as an artist. New art, new music, new movies, new books!!

The last idea I have is reading up on the artists that inspire you most, their advice or memoirs (if there are any). Sometimes I find passages from my favorite artists that talk about the struggles with creativity and how hard it can be. Sometimes JUST the act of hearing that someone I respect has gone through the same things I have, it puts those fears to rest and I feel ready to just DO IT.

Hope this was helpful! Good luck and hang in there!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get off your ass and go for a hike or a bike ride. Change up where you go each time you do. Also, wean yourself off of modern music, if you can; that shit's getting more and more apathetic as the months drone on. Also, try letting a pretty thought just exist and not let any analysis touch it.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Get an idea of what is going on outside.. and plan a time table, something every other day to do... as many as possible new things...

Monday - art gallery (abstract art)
Tue
Wed - street threatre
Thu
Fri - go dancing
Sat
Sun - visit an exhibition
Mon
Tue - go help out somewhere

etc etc...

If you are feeling really grey -- try buying yourself a shor ttrip train ticket and go on a day trip... for some reason short distant travel can really pick up your energy. Also a visit to a beach (even in cold weather) can pick people up too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you are feeling really grey -- try buying yourself a shor ttrip train ticket and go on a day trip... for some reason short distant travel can really pick up your energy. Also a visit to a beach (even in cold weather) can pick people up too.

I did this once and it helped me a little (worth more than sitting around, big time). I did a bus trip instead and it took up a whole weekend, but it was awesome. ^_^