• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs would you mind if I ask you something "personal" ?

MafiaAngel180

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's just a combination -- I take in the whole package. It's not even like I want to. It's just second nature. I can just tell if something is bothering someone. I can FEEL someone's wall they put up. It's like a huge elephant in the room. And it makes me feel the way they do. Some of the cues might be: they avoid eye contact, their answers become short, there is a solomness to their face, they don't talk as much, they don't have reactions like they normally do. (Ex: maybe they are more prone to texting, smiling, or doing whatever...and they just stop.) It really depends on the person. It's easier to tell when you know them better. But it's really just a combination of cues, plus also my own experiences of how I might react when I'm upset that just cements the fact that I'm right that there is, indeed, something bothering them.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
It's a lot of things.
  • Body language
  • Facial expression/features
  • Choice of words, connotations, implicature, selective exclusions, self-disclosure, etc.
  • Tone of voice
  • What I already know about people, their nature, their behavior, etc.
  • What I already know about psychology, emotions, etc.
  • Projected mood, image, & persona
  • Context
I think a lot of the time, analysis of these factors is pretty automatic - and there are probably processes involved which I'm probably not remembering and couldn't explain logically if I tried. I'm pretty good at picking up the content of a message, but, maybe due to Asperger's, motive is usually difficult for me.

izzie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This thread should be favorited!

I feel happy and not alone in my experiences of ''feeling'' about people!

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've experienced both... I have had occasions where the only way I can describe it is that the emotions are so 'heavy' on the person that they come off in waves... they are thick in the room as you enter.. Very often times they are negative so this is not that enjoyable for me! Also sometimes I read body language etc. however, this usually happens very quickly so it is a mixture of unconcious and conscious thoughts and assessments!

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really understand what other types don't get about us being able to read emotions. It's like SJs knowing peoples' birthdays or NTs being able to point out every single fucking logical flaw of every argument that ever existed...

It's just natural to us. And it's not like it's hard or anything:

-- Body Language
-- Tone of Voice
-- Word Choice
-- Facial Expression
-- Energy Level
-- etc, etc, etc

It's not really all that impressive :huh:

The cool thing is how we can meet two people and instantly be able to summarize their relationship with one another. I did to someone the other day. Scared the hell out of them :D

Us reading peoples' emotions isn't all that impressive in and of itself. It's how we use it in everyday situations that's cool :workout:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
The cool thing is how we can meet two people and instantly be able to summarize their relationship with one another. I did to someone the other day. Scared the hell out of them :D

Ha! But you can do it to any number of people. I basically feel the mood of the house I live in. If one of my roommates is upset, I don't need to see the person, I only need to see one of the others and I can usually tell pretty accurately what's going on. When you get used to any group of people you can do this.

I think it is one of those things that make us extremely useful team members. We could fix things and prevent confrontations... It just isn't an obvious quality, and it doesn't give you anything that can be measured in cash, so it is underestimated.

Omission1234

hey I just stumbled across this, usually If I'm gonna analyze this I guess first thing is body language. Second if I'm talking to them what they talk about and how they are talking about it in comparison to them from other times I would just tell the difference usually. It's not like I'm calculating this while i talk to them. I usually can just tell its just an overwhelming feeling I get from them and I'm like " oh I know whats wrong, it's definitely such and such or something." and then like later that day i find out it was what i thought.. for ever I seriously thought everyone could tell I was seriously like " what! people cant you tell." and sometimes they thought i was really wierd but whatever. yeah its just a sense of i guess what they are generally like and what happened during those times in comparison to present moment with them and then just thinking of what is happening in their life that could effect them this way and bam! you solved it ... I dont generally analyze or calculate these feelings they just happen for me but yeah.. hope it helps.

Arinn

MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've experienced both... I have had occasions where the only way I can describe it is that the emotions are so 'heavy' on the person that they come off in waves... they are thick in the room as you enter.. Very often times they are negative so this is not that enjoyable for me! Also sometimes I read body language etc. however, this usually happens very quickly so it is a mixture of unconcious and conscious thoughts and assessments!

Dude bro i feel the same way, usually when someone (or friend) enters the room. It's almost if my intuition is telling me right in my face that they're sad or happy. Usually i don't care so much to look at body language/sometimes facial expression. But i know that based on their tone of voice, big indicator that they're "feeling dat way". Course i don't have to do much analyzing since my intuition is frkgin intense :doh:

Random Ness

There are a couple things I use:
-tone of voice
-posture
-facial expression
-style of movement
-how much they are talking to me/the people around us
-comparisons of their behavior to other behaviors I've seen/heard in the past
-and, of course, a strong gut feeling

But by no means is what I think they are feeling necessarily what they are feeling. It's always good to ask, and always good to remember you may never truly know what they're feeling. They could lie about it, or they may not know how they're doing themselves.

And I would never say I think a person is feeling a "number" of emotions. Rather, I'd group it under one word, or use a bunch of slashes (ex: sorrow/envy/dread).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

absolutely

I am very sensitive to emotion, and I can even walk into a house/room where there's been a lot of fighting or emotional arguing and pick up on it. It's difficult for me to be in the same room with someone who has a great deal of animosity toward me (like to the point of hating me or close).

I know how to shut people out though. Like if there's a negative person in an otherwise pleasant environment I'm capable of just walking past them, ignoring them, or simply shutting the door.

But yeah I definitely pick up on emotion, in waves, and I strongly feel that people leave energies behind in certain places as well.

My ex is someone who projected emotion strongly and I could "feel" him coming around a corner, and I could feel his moods. When I told him this he said, "Of course you can...that's common sense." So not only was this real, but he was consciously aware of it to the point of thinking it was pointless for me to even articulate how it happened.

That's why I think that when people who aren't capable of intuitively picking up on emotions or energies scoff at the existence of the thing, it's as absurd as someone who struggles with math scoffing at the idea that there are people who can solve epic algebra problems. It's just another function of the human mind that some people are more capable of than others.