• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do other types think of INFP's

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I can really be lazy (See my apartment)...

But I think this is a problem of inspiration. If I am not inspired, I don't act. If I am, I can't stop until I'm satisfied.

Of course, that doesn't help the cleanliness of my apartment at all!:huh:

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^that's right, we're all lazy basterds

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
i have, to my knowledge, only known male infps for some reason, so this message is mainly aimed at them. to be more specific, it is aimed at who i view as under-developed infps who have certain tendencies that annoy the crap out of me! all of these complaints are taken from actual experience, and not intended to be broad generalizations. That being said, if you fit any of this criteria, KNOCK IT OFF!

1) logic is not optional!

2) it is not cute that whenever someone states an objective fact to say "Well technically..." and then say something stupid that doesn't have anything to do with the point you are trying to undermine. It is obnoxious and annoying, not clever and endearing!

3) stop following enfj girls like lost puppies! they are not into you and keep you around because they are too nice to tell you to grow a pair. To be honest, you are probably in the "permanent friend zone." if they are evil, they keep you around because you boost their ego! just because they don't tell you that you're being a moron and tolerate you doesn't mean that you have a cosmic spiritual connection!

4) you are not psychic!

5) learning cherokee and memorizing pi, even the first 200 numbers, is not productive and you are wasting your natural talents and abilities on stupid shit! you have the drive to do good and wonderful things and the ability to REALLY help people. Do something productive dammit!

6) stop taking up for people in situations that you don't even know as if you were there! being passionate about darfur and uganda is great. that matters! but if i'm telling a story about some moron i met, don't attempt to empathize with them as if i didn't understand. i was there, you weren't!

6) learn to give up on people! i know you're always giving people the benefit of the doubt and chance after chance, but you need to learn when to cut people loose who are dragging you down!

7) go outside and be around REAL people! just because you are content to sit around your apartment playing scrabble with your cat does not mean that it is ok! see the last two sentences of complaint 5 again. you're not doing anyone any real good sitting behind your computer all day!

8) find somethig REAL to be passionate about (see complaint 5 again)! sure, earthbound is a fun game, but focussing all that natural passion into a video game is a waste. now read complaint 7 again.

to be clear, my best-friend is one and i can honestly say i'm a better person for him being around. if not for him i probably never would have learned how to navigate other people's emotions, that emotions and feelings were even valid to begin with, been made aware of a lot of the injustices in the world, or how to talk to sensory types and keep boredom to a minimum.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I can really be lazy (See my apartment)...

But I think this is a problem of inspiration. If I am not inspired, I don't act. If I am, I can't stop until I'm satisfied.

Of course, that doesn't help the cleanliness of my apartment at all!:huh:

+1

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
answers bolded in response to corey

1) logic is not optional! lol

2) it is not cute that whenever someone states an objective fact to say "Well technically..." and then say something stupid that doesn't have anything to do with the point you are trying to undermine. It is obnoxious and annoying, not clever and endearing! i agree! stfu!

3) stop following enfj girls like lost puppies! they are not into you and keep you around because they are too nice to tell you to grow a pair. To be honest, you are probably in the "permanent friend zone." if they are evil, they keep you around because you boost their ego! just because they don't tell you that you're being a moron and tolerate you doesn't mean that you have a cosmic spiritual connection! stop following girls or boys around period. most people don't want to date puppies or servants.

4) you are not psychic! this goes for INFJs haha

5) learning cherokee and memorizing pi, even the first 200 numbers, is not productive and you are wasting your natural talents and abilities on stupid shit! you have the drive to do good and wonderful things and the ability to REALLY help people. Do something productive dammit! LOLirl yes, also stop trying to be masseurs thinking you will make lots of money from it, it won't pay you shit unless you're great at marketing yourself.

6) stop taking up for people in situations that you don't even know as if you were there! being passionate about darfur and uganda is great. that matters! but if i'm telling a story about some moron i met, don't attempt to empathize with them as if i didn't understand. i was there, you weren't! lol touche

6) learn to give up on people! i know you're always giving people the benefit of the doubt and chance after chance, but you need to learn when to cut people loose who are dragging you down! true, people suck, sometimes you have to accept that. if you choose to help do not expect anything in return or hold it against someone when they don't meet your idealizations of them.

7) go outside and be around REAL people! just because you are content to sit around your apartment playing scrabble with your cat does not mean that it is ok! see the last two sentences of complaint 5 again. you're not doing anyone any real good sitting behind your computer all day! how about give away your cats and start making real friends, this goes for any type.

8) find somethig REAL to be passionate about (see complaint 5 again)! sure, earthbound is a fun game, but focusing all that natural passion into a video game is a waste. now read complaint 7 again. also goes for any other "gamer" types, pertaining to video system gaming and computer gaming.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i have, to my knowledge, only known male infps for some reason, so this message is mainly aimed at them. to be more specific, it is aimed at who i view as under-developed infps who have certain tendencies that annoy the crap out of me! all of these complaints are taken from actual experience, and not intended to be broad generalizations. That being said, if you fit any of this criteria, KNOCK IT OFF!

Seriousness of responses may vary...

For everything there is a season, however...

2) it is not cute that whenever someone states an objective fact to say "Well technically..." and then say something stupid that doesn't have anything to do with the point you are trying to undermine. It is obnoxious and annoying, not clever and endearing!

People do this?

3) stop following enfj girls like lost puppies! they are not into you and keep you around because they are too nice to tell you to grow a pair. To be honest, you are probably in the "permanent friend zone." if they are evil, they keep you around because you boost their ego! just because they don't tell you that you're being a moron and tolerate you doesn't mean that you have a cosmic spiritual connection!

Why follow what you can sublty lead around on a leash...

4) you are not psychic!

You're right, it's of the Devil and has no use to me.

5) learning cherokee and memorizing pi, even the first 200 numbers, is not productive and you are wasting your natural talents and abilities on stupid shit! you have the drive to do good and wonderful things and the ability to REALLY help people. Do something productive dammit!

What about learning Japanese and memorizing cloud formations?

6) stop taking up for people in situations that you don't even know as if you were there! being passionate about darfur and uganda is great. that matters! but if i'm telling a story about some moron i met, don't attempt to empathize with them as if i didn't understand. i was there, you weren't!

I see more results when I deal with the people infront of me. However, don't forget even an idiot has a story; the quality there of is independent of that fact.

6) learn to give up on people! i know you're always giving people the benefit of the doubt and chance after chance, but you need to learn when to cut people loose who are dragging you down!

Sometimes its not them dragging me down...

7) go outside and be around REAL people! just because you are content to sit around your apartment playing scrabble with your cat does not mean that it is ok! see the last two sentences of complaint 5 again. you're not doing anyone any real good sitting behind your computer all day!

Define "real people". Too much of the drivel out there is a net drain of resources.

8) find somethig REAL to be passionate about (see complaint 5 again)! sure, earthbound is a fun game, but focussing all that natural passion into a video game is a waste. now read complaint 7 again.

Define "something real". I'd rather do something I can afford with my limited resources.

to be clear, my best-friend is one and i can honestly say i'm a better person for him being around. if not for him i probably never would have learned how to navigate other people's emotions, that emotions and feelings were even valid to begin with, been made aware of a lot of the injustices in the world, or how to talk to sensory types and keep boredom to a minimum.

Sounds good, I can see how real your concerns are. I guess my responses ended up being more serious than I was expecting. I'm sure the ideal is somewhere between what I think and what you're expecting.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^uh oh, corey's gonna flip the fuck out INFP boy lol

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love INFPs.
My ex was one. He was sweet, private, goofy, romantic, thoughtful, and very much a best friend of mine at the time.

One of my best friends is one. She's loyal, quiet unless in very good company, smart as hell, creative, silly when she's with me....

INFPs make me smile.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If he flips out it's his own issue. Some stuff I was looking for clarification on since there is a happy medium in there that makes more sense than either extreme.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Did corey think any of that was logical?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

4) you are not psychic!

2hcja04.jpg

(btw, great advice)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Looks like someone created a bigger stir than me in this thread. :D

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
Responses in bold. I apologize, but I'm not sure how to work the multi-quote option, so I went with this. Also, I can assure you that I haven't freaked out. I actually got some weird looks from giggling at runvardh's respones.
Seriousness of responses may vary...

For everything there is a season, however...
I agree that being illogical can be fun. My complaint isn't that people should be serious and logical all the time. That would make life and people insanely boring. This is actually something that my INFP friend told me he has learned over the years. He meant getting out of his fantasy world and being more practical about things. Illogic can be fun. See Eddie Dean stumping Blaine the Mono is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This has also been my favorite joke since I was in middle school.

People do this?
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. If yes, I can only blame myself for giving you the ammunition :doh:. If you are serious, then it is just something I've seen in extremely isolated, lonely, sad, under-developed INFP males. I've only seen it in one, but he did it so much i just wanted to throttle him. It wasn't just me who wanted to do this.

Why follow what you can sublty lead around on a leash...
Again, I can't tell your meaning. Do you mean that you agree in not wasting your time, or do you mean that you're leading ENFJ females with a leash? The latter would be the kind of thing the guy mentioned above would do. The annoying part being he's been chasing the same girl around for three years and she doesn't seem to care, and he doesn't seem to get it. Not to get too far off subject, but this is something else I've noticed in INFPs, or at the least the less developed ones. I agree with luminousbeam and her response to that one.

You're right, it's of the Devil and has no use to me.
lol. This was my old roommate. We have known eachother since we were 13, so I've learned to take it stride. I think it was a product of you all being so in tune with people's feelings. He just took it a step farther into esp.

Once again, my old roommate. What spawned the learning Cherokee comment was he, I, and our third roommate were sitting in the living room talking and The Crucible was on tv in the background. This resulted in him randomly deciding that he wanted to learn Cherokee. When we asked "Why," his response was "Well, it's practically a dead language." This of course begged the question again, "Why?" He never even attempted to learn Cherokee. As for Pi, it's an infinite number! All you need is 3.14, but there is absolutely know use for that. It was a waste of his natural intelligence and talent. This guy taught our high-school computer classes and I had college recruiters calling me to get to him.

I see more results when I deal with the people infront of me. However, don't forget even an idiot has a story; the quality there of is independent of that fact.
I don't disagree that the other person has a story. What I should have clarified is the INFP urge I see to create all these scenarios like "Well maybe they meant this," or "are you sure mean that," or, "maybe this happened and that's why they feel this way." You have no evidence to back it up and yet you (meaning other INFPs. I don't know you.) persist in doing it.

Sometimes its not them dragging me down...
I don't know about your personal experiences. But from what I've seen of INFP males, it seems hard for me to believe that's the case. You usually have your kindness and genuine caring taken advantage of, leaving you feeling bad about yourself when it's the other person who sucks. You guys (and gals :hi:) surprise me by how down on yourselvles you can get :cry:

Define "real people". Too much of the drivel out there is a net drain of resources.
I mean real live physical people. Don't get me wrong, most people suck. But you'll never find the good ones unless you risk dealing with the bad ones. I've seen friends fall for girls online that they've never met before, and carry a torch for girls who only carry buckets of water. I don't expect you all to become hard-core extroverts. You would be miserable! But it's also not healthy to spend so much time with your cat.

Define "something real". I'd rather do something I can afford with my limited resources.
Main Entry: 1re·al
Pronunciation: \ˈrē(-ə)l\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, real, relating to things (in law), from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin & Late Latin; Medieval Latin realis relating to things (in law), from Late Latin, real, from Latin res thing, fact; akin to Sanskrit rayi property
Date: 14th century
1 : of or relating to fixed, permanent, or immovable things (as lands or tenements)
2 a : not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine <real gold>; also : being precisely what the name implies <a real professional> b (1) : occurring or existing in actuality <saw a real live celebrity> <a story of real life> (2) : of or relating to practical or everyday concerns or activities <left school to live in the real world> (3) : existing as a physical entity and having properties that deviate from an ideal, law, or standard <a real gas> — compare ideal 3b c : having objective independent existence <unable to believe that what he saw was real> d : fundamental, essential e (1) : belonging to or having elements or components that belong to the set of real numbers <the real roots of an equation> <a real matrix> (2) : concerned with or containing real numbers <real analysis> (3) : real-valued <real variable> f : measured by purchasing power <real income> <real dollars> g : complete, utter <a real fiasco>
3 of a particle : capable of being detected — compare virtual 3

— re·al·ness noun

— for real 1 : in earnest : seriously <fighting for real>
2 : genuine <couldn't believe the threats were for real>
3 : genuinely good or capable of success (as in competition) <not yet sure if this team is for real>

You guys have natural passion for helping people. My friend has to trick himself into thinking he's really helping to find his job bearable. But I've also watched him get passionate, and other people passionate, about things like the genocide in Darfur and Uganda, and actually trying to raise awareness and do something about it. That's real.

Sounds good, I can see how real your concerns are. I guess my responses ended up being more serious than I was expecting. I'm sure the ideal is somewhere between what I think and what you're expecting.

:hug: Me and INFPs, no matter how much you may annoy me :hug:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kinda figured you wouldn't freak out about it which is why I figured worrying about you freaking out was a waste of everyone's time.

Anyway, there are times I work with the illogical just to deal with the people around me. If I don't do that they get all down on me and ask me if I'm pissed at them. Other times it's nice just to sit back and have fun. Going hardcore on a set of math probems or solving this month's living budget get boring after a while. It's useful to get done, but we ain't designed to enjoy it; and yes, we need somethings to enjoy.

Complaint #2 is something I have not seen specifically; but it's relative, direct useless refutation of a proven fact annoys the crap out of me.

The leading around on a leash thing is mostly me being a jackass while also showing my distaste for following girls around. Did it before, got some out of it, but generally a waste of my increasingly precious time and energy.

Being psychic has nothing to do with emotional perception, though at times it can feel like it's boardering on pre-cog when you can see someone exploding seconds before they actually do. This was actually one ability I relied on a lot growing up due to a mother who had lots of emotional issues as well as a hyperactive thyroid. Seeing the clouds of a coming hurricane and saying "a hurricane is coming" isn't psy, it's putting 2 and 2 together.

Dead languages aren't practical, but can be useful in reasearch of archeological finds. Pi to however many digits is really just for showing off so I suppose I can understand that other than the fact that I have the periodic table of elements partially memorized. All depends on if you're going to use it in either discussion or application. I guess we can be taken a little too seriously when it comes to our tenuous interests though...

When it comes to coming up with senarios though, some people do end up only reading the surface so the excersise is valid as long as it is used properly. Challenging what you are thinking and feeling is not that useful. Challenging what you perceive as what the other person is thinking and feeling, on the other hand, can be useful in seeing right down to how to avoid the issue again.

I know about being too nice for my own good and I've hardened up against others mostly because of this. We do, on the other hand, do stupid things on our own that can also bring us down so worthless users are only part of the issue there.

Eh, but if I have to plow through too many idiots that's energy and time ticking away with no visible/tangable result that I can enjoy at the end. Sometimes the possibility, however real, isn't attractive enough to kill day over.

One day when I am blessed with the monetary and time resources to actually help out somewhere I'll do it. However, as long as I'm at the low end of middle class (which is bearly living in this city; the only difference between me and the bum on the street is I have a job and a roof over my head) I'm not really going to be able to do anything stupendously wonderful. Espeically while I'm still paying off education debts that are like a ball and chain around my neck.

Still, you do sound reasonable enough.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I can do one better. I learned Hebrew and I'm not even Jewish (or an archaeologist for that matter). I was intending to go to Israel, though (which I did). Not the most useful of languages in the scheme of things but it is the most interesting language I have come across.

Oh and I learned Japanese too for years. :D I've forgotten most of it.

I can't base my interests on practical considerations. If I like something, I'm gonna pursue it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My estp and istp brothers used to have competitions over who knew more pi numbers.

I learned up to 3.14159265 by just living with those fools.

/OT

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My estp and istp brothers used to have competitions over who knew more pi numbers.

I learned up to 3.14159265 by just living with those fools.

/OT
That's got to come in handy some time.

Maybe you might be in a situation where you desperately need to accurately measure the circumference of a circle and are without a decent calculator.

Its not inconceivable. :D

The things you learn when living with STs, eh? :)

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I don't think it should. If corey's list are the negatives that a close friend told me, I would first sulk a little because "Hey, no one likes being told to change". But after looking at the list, if that is the worst of my traits, then I'd take it in a heartbeat. 1) Most if not all of it I can change myself and 2) None of it are more than annoyances. There is nothing in there I'd be sent to jail or psychotherapy for :)

I do have some questions for corey though. Is the INFP friend the only one who does these 8 things? And if not, is he the "worst" or most extreme? For example, playing video games. Is he more passionate and spending more time on it than anyone else?