• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Hate an ENFP? Tell us why!

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:rofl1:

yeah, i kind of hate this thread. like, part of me wants to read it, but then i do and get mad and want to defend ENFPs.

you might call it dramatizing but to us it feels like righting a wrong. what is the point of having Fi and feelings of injustice and compassion if you don't put them into action in the world?

That's what's so puzzling about you guys. I can't figure out how you stay sane with Fi. Functioning with Fi (beyond being liked by people), is an achievement from my POV. I don't think I can manage. Respect.

I think ENFPs have a lot to share and teach about Fi. But once I start asking the usual Ne-Ti questions (nothing's sacred, put feelings aside, let's figure it out) they get offended.

istar11

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
In my experience, ENFP's are only motivated to be popular. They need to be shallow in order to appeal to the most people. Much like ENTP's in this regard but more manipulative than ENTP's.

Me. Me. Me. Always talk about themselves.

They invade my personal space.

Mis-characterize people and oversimplify things. Oblivious. Discriminative. I've known one who was racist and sexist.

Don't realize that a lot of people talk about them behind their back. They ignore or reinterpret criticism to make them feel more popular.

Can't discuss things logically with them.

there's more..

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's what's so puzzling about you guys. I can't figure out how you stay sane with Fi. Functioning with Fi (beyond being liked by people), is an achievement from my POV. I don't think I can manage. Respect.

I think ENFPs have a lot to share and teach about Fi. But once I start asking the usual Ne-Ti questions (nothing's sacred, put feelings aside, let's figure it out) they get offended.

haha, thanks, about the Fi. it gets a little crazy/confusing sometimes, admittedly. it's a lot of emotion, and a lot of hard decisions about when to stay quiet and when to act.

i think that to us Ti can come off sort of harshly sometimes... since it doesn't take personal valuing into account, and that's pretty much what we base our judgment on. like it can seem very oblivious of how it can offend/hurt other people. or how it's just not very nice. my brother and dad are both INTPs, and i have an ENTP cousin - love you NTPs, you are my partners in crime :laugh: - but at the same time, i totally understand what you mean about the questions. it's tricky to be on our side too, to have the Ti wording feel like an attack and then have the NTP get pissed off / disappointed that we took it that way. i think leaning heavy on the Ne side of things really helps NFP-NTP relations...

In my experience, ENFP's are only motivated to be popular. They need to be shallow in order to appeal to the most people.

:sick:!

if you talk to some of the brilliant ENFPs on this site, i think you will quickly find they are neither shallow nor only motivated to be popular. i can easily say i like to be liked but "shallow" isn't even close to accurate when it comes to ENFP criticisms... lol... maybe "approval-seeking" or "people-pleaser" but shallow, no...

i don't think being discriminatory is type-related, either.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah I can't agree with istar there. I think these ENFP's you know just aren't intellectually mature. I do admit that I like being liked though... a lot. Still don't think that's the only thing that that drives ENFP's. Sounds more like an ennegram issue, if anything.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hate myself for being unable to hate ENFPs

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I styled a shoot today with an ENFP model who carried on almost the entire time, but would apologize profusely about it. Just whined and whined, but then would be like "I'm soooooo sorry, but *insert complaint here*."

It was so embarrassing. I snapped at her that she was a diva after 15 minutes, but it went on for 2 hours regardless.

If you know you're being a brat and apparently sorry about it, then why not change the current pattern?

I'm still annoyed.

I can actually see this. I could see an INFP doing this too.

Through observation I think being a young, slender, attractive female exacerbates that behavior because frankly it's condoned and rewarded. Not surprised a model would be whining and complaining a lot. :p

I think also due to Fi when you really don't like something you just can't let it go. I'm good on 98% of things but some things I just can't let go. I thought INFPs were like this too but maybe due to our ENFP extroversion we're just more likely to you know, extrovert our gripes. I think Te might be a factor as well.

Also that kind of griping may be looking for someone to make a concession and basically 'fix' the situation. I noticed that some ENFP females can be surprisingly bossy (asking a lot of other people) or openly selfish about some random things but most people around them accept this due to the ENFP's overall popularity and other wise thoughtfulness? sincere interest in others? I think it also helps that ENFP females are generally considered attractive (see earlier point about attractive females getting away with more whining, complaining, general dramatic behavior)

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was going to post here complaining about how flighty and usery-prone immature ENFPs are, but it is so damn unbelievably hard to stay mad at you guys.
Unbelievably.
Even after three months of consistent horribitchable behavior, you can sit right down, smile, act like nothing happened, and bam-- that's it, I can't hate you anymore.
HOW?
what-is-this-sorcery.jpg

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I was going to post here complaining about how flighty and usery-prone immature ENFPs are, but it is so damn unbelievably hard to stay mad at you guys.
Unbelievably.
Even after three months of consistent horribitchable behavior, you can sit right down, smile, act like nothing happened, and bam-- that's it, I can't hate you anymore.
HOW?
what-is-this-sorcery.jpg

We are soul-stealing wenches.... even of the disgruntled, would-be ENFP hater.

:hi:

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's see... why I would hate ENFPs (which I don't, really)... whenever their inferior STJ side piques. I find it disturbing!

Also, Ti and Ne can kinda clash in us (for ISTP and ENFP, each is the other's 7th function, the trickster function).

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Let's see... why I would hate ENFPs (which I don't, really)... whenever their inferior STJ side piques. I find it disturbing!

Also, Ti and Ne can kinda clash in us (for ISTP and ENFP, each is the other's 7th function, the trickster function).

(tangent: I'm still not sure I understand how a trickster function works with each type...you should message me how they clash!)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
(tangent: I'm still not sure I understand how a trickster function works with each type...you should message me how they clash!)

There is no trickster function, its just tertiary working within the framework of aux(/is guided by aux), thus the orientation of tert seems to change and because it clashes with aux function.

For ENFP this would be Te being a slave of Fi, all that Te does is guided by Fi, and because its guided by Fi, but is totally opposite function that should be used in totally opposite situations, this causes Te to play tricks on you. Once Te is developed to the stage where its in conscious control, it no longer plays tricks on you, as its aimed to more appropriate things and doesent unconsciously force itself to where it doesent belong.

The thing with functions working under the control/guidance of another function instead of being consciously oriented, makes the function work mainly unconsciously.

rav3n

I don't hate anyone. But I do find the ENFPs annoying, who play up the MBTI ENFP stereotype of their purported kind. Of the real life ENFPs that I know who aren't into MBTI, they're a pretty cool bunch.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
There is no trickster function, its just tertiary working within the framework of aux(/is guided by aux), thus the orientation of tert seems to change and because it clashes with aux function.

For ENFP this would be Te being a slave of Fi, all that Te does is guided by Fi, and because its guided by Fi, but is totally opposite function that should be used in totally opposite situations, this causes Te to play tricks on you. Once Te is developed to the stage where its in conscious control, it no longer plays tricks on you, as its aimed to more appropriate things and doesent unconsciously force itself to where it doesent belong.

The thing with functions working under the control/guidance of another function instead of being consciously oriented, makes the function work mainly unconsciously.

Aaahh this makes sense, thanks!

I just remember a while ago, I was talking to someone certified in conducting MBTI assesments, and he knew about my intense fear of flying, and he said it was due to my Ti but wasnt able to explain why. I usually only think of the 4 functions most of the time and not go further than that.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But there are 8 functions. I was referring to a shadow function (can be interpolated through the aux. and ter. functions but it's not quite the same). I was also reminded of "conflict relations" between ENFP and ISTP, for example (socionics applied to plain MBTI).

Happy

MBTI Type
Xnfj
Enneagram
4/5
to damn cutesy

wow.. I didnt realize I would have had this much to say.. this is a rant thread right? :wink:

I love everything good about an old friend that was as close to enfp style person I can think of :wubbie:.. however I also found her surprisingly distasteful in other ways. this was about 4 years ago. and to this day im surprised I turned down a girl who was fun attractive and bright.. when I was 18.. "so yeah we were particularly young, however this was exceptional behavior to me even then..

it kinda went like this, She was very careful to acknowledged my feelings about pretty much everything..very disarming, we danced, we enjoyed spending time together.. she was very energetic, creative.. and then I started to notice somethings that caused me to feel rather uncomfortable.

firstly she seemed very comfortable as if it were suddenly her second nature. trying to be emotionally manipulative. this strategy was apparently effective on many of the people she lived with and knew.. however it seemed rather crude to me. "Im not really describing this very well.. she was very smooth, and were it not for the fact that she had pegged my motivations wrong Im sure I may have succumbed as well.. and for a While I thought she was not doing this intentionally. however later felt that I had been mistaken.. I had gone over to her place for the evening, like I had done frequently, however this time the feel was different, this time it became apparent to me she intended to have sex with me "and yes as out of place as that sentence reflects how out of place this was in my mind.. .. its True that she was physically appealing for certain.. and on some level I was desperate for an deeper emotional connection..

Here was the rub, this was her boyfriends apartment.. the one she always talked about being afraid was going to leave her.. who she said was taking advantage of her.. who she suspected was cheating on her.. and it finally dawned on me. this girl was certainly not the victim she had portrayed herself to be. And I was there to fill the lack of emotional connection.. I felt then like I was being used..
however on some level I was desperate for an deeper emotional connection.. and to rectify this she was willing to to do everything she has suspected her boyfriend had done to her to him.. this realization and willingness to be openly hypocritical may very well have been the only thing that stopped the situation from becoming even more painful for everyone involved..

beginning to realize that she had been dishonest in her intentions for quite some time. and was willing to use some things I had told her about my previous girl friends IE trying to emulate what she thought I would like "not that I think being thoughtful about others preferences is on its face bad, however trying to portray yourself as an entirely different person was just to much for me to watch.."

before I had realized this I had physically stood up and walked to the door "really without thinking." why did I feel so uncomfortable all of the sudden?. and the fact that she somehow had it in her mind that I could be converted instantly from a friend to some kind of boyfriend just by setting an opportunity for some sexual activity completely out of context.. I felt pretty enraged that .. how shallow did she think I was? “-in retrospect I should have expected her to treat me no differently than those around her.. I had yet to learn that lesson though-” The girl who always talked about how important being loyal was....was it any wonder her boyfriend was so questionable..

while obviously I had done a great deal of projection and self deceit to put myself in that whole situation.. I tried to write as if I were there again 4 years ago, not How I would see it today. I no longer feel any ill towards a young girl who was just trying to meet her own emotional and physical needs during a difficult time in her life. It was probably natural if not inevitable that I would have ended up around a person as inwardly insecure about others as I was.. so I am actually grateful that I learned this lesson from a girl who I did see as a close friend. If it had been
someone else I doubt it would have had enough emotional impact for me to see what I was doing.. and that I actually was so afraid of intimacy that I would have preferred a fake and manipulative substitute..and while many of my complaints against her at the time were probably justified.. ultimately she was not the reason I was suspicious of her motivations in the first place.. and I was also guilty of being manipulative albeit in a different way.. we knew each other for more than a year and I did not cover many of the great experiences we shared..

thus ends my most negative positive in the long term.. experience with a person who seemed to express prefernces for enfp.:hi:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aaahh this makes sense, thanks!

I just remember a while ago, I was talking to someone certified in conducting MBTI assesments, and he knew about my intense fear of flying, and he said it was due to my Ti but wasnt able to explain why. I usually only think of the 4 functions most of the time and not go further than that.

But if he was talking about MBTI, he wasnt referring to trickster function. This trickster function(and shadow functions in general) arent MBTI, but beebes typology(lenore also has 8 function model). People are usually unaware that isabel myers originally saw tert as being opposite orientation than dom, meaning that ENFP is Ne Fi Ti Si, even tho nowadays tert is usually(but not always) seen as opposite orientation from dom.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
But there are 8 functions. I was referring to a shadow function (can be interpolated through the aux. and ter. functions but it's not quite the same). I was also reminded of "conflict relations" between ENFP and ISTP, for example (socionics applied to plain MBTI).

No there are 4 functions T F N S, Ti or Te are different orientations of T, not different functions, at least according to jung. This 8 function model(with 4shadow functions) is just beebes and lenores models that have for some reason gotten popular in internet. 8 functions existing is MBTI terms, but there are only 4 functions used according to MBTI. There is no shadow functions in MBTI and jungian shadow is totally different thing from beebes shadow functions. In jungian typology undeveloped functions are in shadow and once developed they come away from shadow and are controlled by ego.