• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Overanalyzing

G

Ginkgo

Do any other NFs over analyze academic test questions?

In other words, do you try to tap into the test maker's mind in order to figure out if they are trying to trick you? Or do you even go a step further and anticipate that they were going to anticipate you knowing that they were trying to trick you?

Common sense and simplicity is almost always the answer. :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yep, I do this, sometimes it results in ass-kicking results, and other times it consumes too much time and unnecessary thought for a seemingly (though, to the prof. actual), simple question.

The best way to do well on a test is to assess your teacher's intelligence, perspectives and styles.

They love when you ape them.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
yes in 10th grade annual exams in the rush/anxiety of 1-2 days before the exams i did 100-200 pages of most probable essay type math questions by rote (in my own guess out of a 1000 page book) and when i saw the same questions come in the paper i wrote down the entire 2 page solutions per question without any long divisions or even refering to trigo tables or sin cos tables to get values in decimals of degrees. LOL my math teacher called me specially during the checking and asked me why there was no rough work done anywhere on the answer sheet to derive values or simplify divisions/fractions! she was astounded when i told her i had read into 'her style' of thinking and memorized specific questions and even table values for them which she then cross-checked by asking me a few on the spot and getting the replies!

later i heard she would narrate my story in different sections and years that here is a boy who learns math by prediction of questions and intuitive memory ! lol

i guess analyzing the examiners mind really helps to limit and focus the study on most probable areas.. just that math isn't a good area to apply this on... she subtracted 1 mark per question for no rough work :( bah maybe i should have memorized the rough work too :p

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No. I quickly go into a feedback loop like a microphone aimed at its own speaker if I start thinking that way, so I happily leave all of my intuition about intentions at the subconscious level.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. I often don't guess correctly what people mean, in tests and other situations. It's the main reason people say I have no common sense.

For example, when I had the psychiatric interview assessment for ADHD, I was asked 'do you think you have more energy than other people?', and I incorrectly said no, because I'm aware of no net difference in the amount of glucose in my body (although according to brain scans it is often distributed differently within the brain). With retrospect I can think of at least three things wrong with that interpretation, lol. What he actually meant was 'do you feel like you have more energy available for movement or more need to make use of available energy than other people seem to?'

I don't know if that's because I'm an NF though. Impulsivity, and difficulty piecing together and holding in mind lots of incoming information in situations probably contribute a lot. I can figure out the most likely explanation for questions when I've had time and space to think the context through.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know if that's because I'm an NF though. Impulsivity, and difficulty piecing together and holding in mind lots of incoming information in situations probably contribute a lot. I can figure out the most likely explanation for questions when I've had time and space to think the context through.

When your AD/HD characteristics are properly treated so that your social perception can function normally, then your NF will be able to blossom. Right now, you're metaphorically a flower who's been kept in the dark and never known a bee. I encourage you to continue seeking solutions to that.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I wouldn't call it overananalysis if it leads to the correct answer...
Actually, doing this I'm sure helps N's a lot in any abstract subject.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When your AD/HD characteristics are properly treated so that your social perception can function normally, then your NF will be able to blossom. Right now, you're metaphorically a flower who's been kept in the dark and never known a bee. I encourage you to continue seeking solutions to that.
Thanks. I am do so. :)

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I tried to do this all the time, all throughout school. Sometimes sucessfully, sometimes not.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No, I basically use my intuition skills or something and feel out the answer...

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

In other words, do you try to tap into the test maker's mind in order to figure out if they are trying to trick you? Or do you even go a step further and anticipate that they were going to anticipate you knowing that they were trying to trick you?

Common sense and simplicity is almost always the answer. :)

Oh God, this brought back memories of every test I took in college. YES YES YES, though I have now learned this part of what you said:

"Common sense and simplicity is almost always the answer."

Also, some test questions are purposely tricky and I never did well because I assumed the teacher was attempting to communicate the problem in the easiest manner, after all, why wouldn't you?

I really think test taking has to do with how the person who created the test thinks vs. how you think.

If you are alike the test creator in personality you will intuitively grasp what they want. If you think very differently, you will be reading into it too much.

That is why probably many NFs do this because we are a pretty rare type. NTs are rare too, but being more logical, they probably have an easier time figuring out the answers without reading into them too much.

No, I basically use my intuition skills or something and feel out the answer...

Sounds like you already realized "Common sense and simplicity is almost always the answer."

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?

Definitely... I know common sense applies to most of it... But I can't help thinking that there is always a second option, no matter how abstract it may be... I always question it with "why not"?

I guess I need more discipline!

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i overanalyze test questions until they no longer make sense then i either pick whatever sounds the best or i quit.

the results are mixed. i hate tests.

G

Ginkgo

Multiple choice tests usually provide insight on what is learned, and not what is analyzed.

However, I exceed when writing essays. It is my only opportunity to truly dissect a subject.