• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Conversations with Self

G

Ginkgo

Have any NF's here had experiences where you would have conversations with your friends in your mind? For me, this often happens when I'm taking a shower or getting dressed.

Most of the time I plan out a conversation before it happens. Other times, I will replay prior conversations and try out new responses.

Occasionally I will even laugh at what my friend said as if I were in the real-time moment, only to be thrust back into reality.Then I ask myself "Am I really laughing at my own conscious? Good thing I wasn't in public!"

I assure you, I am not crazy. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
...Are you sure you're not an INFJ?

Happens to me. Constantly.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm NOT an NF and I do this too.... I do it a lot when I'm doing my hair/makeup in the morning - I've caught myself laughing or smiling in the mirror. I'm not sure it's solely an NF thing.

I'm lots of things...but not crazy.

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
Yes, ...not sure if it's necessarily related to type. Even worse is when you do do it in public walking down a street and then you realize what you are doing. In rebuttal to OP and Sky is BLUE!, if you are a NF it automatically means you are crazy.

P

Phantonym

Yes, ...not sure if it's necessarily related to type. Even worse is when you do do it in public walking down a street and then you realize what you are doing. In rebuttal to OP and Sky is BLUE!, if you are a NF it automatically means you are crazy.

Good to know :coffee:

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Have any NF's here had experiences where you would have conversations with your friends in your mind? For me, this often happens when I'm taking a shower or getting dressed.

Most of the time I plan out a conversation before it happens. Other times, I will replay prior conversations and try out new responses.

Occasionally I will even laugh at what my friend said as if I were in the real-time moment, only to be thrust back into reality.Then I ask myself "Am I really laughing at my own conscious? Good thing I wasn't in public!"

I'm no NF, but I do this ALL THE TIME. A lot of the times out loud. Especially when I'm driving. We're all mad. It's ok.

G

Ginkgo

Alright, that gives me some disclosure. But at the same time, it makes me feel like I'm no longer unique. ;)

I especially hate this behavior when it consumes time. I will look and the clock and realize that I just wasted 15 minutes of my life imagining what my friend would think about the dimple on my left cheek.

kryten5786

MBTI Type
infj
ohhh man.. this is completely normal for me and always has been.
its not as if the "other voice" tells me what to do, its just something i use to help me understand other points of view or sometimes bounce ideas off myself. lol the only time i talk to myself out loud is when im playing ice hockey, it helps with my "vision" on the ice.

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Alright, that gives me some disclosure. But at the same time, it makes me feel like I'm no longer unique. ;)

I especially hate this behavior when it consumes time. I will look and the clock and realize that I just wasted 15 minutes of my life imagining what my friend would think about the dimple on my left cheek.

I do this too, but tell me how you could possibly better spend 15 minutes of your time than imagining what your friend thinks about your dimple?

G

Ginkgo

I do this too, but tell me how you could possibly better spend 15 minutes of your time than imagining what your friend thinks about your dimple?

Going to her house and seeing what she would actually say? :blush:

Then again, fantasy is much much more interesting than reality.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I do this too, but only so often and when I'm doing something else. It's not a preoccupation but a way of dealing with a future situation. The funny thing is that I think it makes use of my fourth function, Ni.

I imagine it has something to do with being a hunter (since SPism is supposed to come from the hunter role in society or something like that) and trying to figure out what one would do in this or that situation while nothing much is happening at the time.

And yes, sometimes those conversations do end up playing out. I either make them or find that somehow the conversation gets rolling that way on its own. Kinda strange, no?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do this A LOT. And its not just simply sitting there thinking about things. I have full-blown imaginary discussion in my own head. Its mainly on topics of interest because no one else is as interested in them as I am. Sometimes its just a daydream of an fantasy situation and how I ideally the conversation would go. Either way its really weird. I can sit for hours staring at the wall just talking in my head. In fact, sometimes its the most interesting thing in the world to me. Reality is always disappointing.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Man, I kinda wish I could have extended conversations like that. After the first few exchanges it just kinda fades away.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

Wow, I do it a lot. I find that I'm usually right about what they'll say too.
I also try out new scenarios to conversations. Neat.

When am I NOT having a conversation with myself?
Haha. Seconded.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
All. The. Time.

I process things that I learn by explaining them to people in my head, whether famous historical people or people that I know. I also prepare for explaining emotions through imagined conversations.

For example, I anticipated that someone (though I didn't know who) would be surprised that I was going to a particular music festival alone. I imagined responding that I'd tried meeting people by staying home and reading, but it didn't work very well, so I'm trying going out instead. Since then, I've actually used that explanation twice.

And yes, sometimes I have to work very hard to suppress my laughter if one of my mental characters makes a funny joke while I'm in public...

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I do this A LOT. And its not just simply sitting there thinking about things. I have full-blown imaginary discussion in my own head. Its mainly on topics of interest because no one else is as interested in them as I am. Sometimes its just a daydream of an fantasy situation and how I ideally the conversation would go. Either way its really weird. I can sit for hours staring at the wall just talking in my head. In fact, sometimes its the most interesting thing in the world to me. Reality is always disappointing.

+A significant number. :yes:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All. The. Time.

I process things that I learn by explaining them to people in my head, whether famous historical people or people that I know. I also prepare for explaining emotions through imagined conversations.

For example, I anticipated that someone (though I didn't know who) would be surprised that I was going to a particular music festival alone. I imagined responding that I'd tried meeting people by staying home and reading, but it didn't work very well, so I'm trying going out instead. Since then, I've actually used that explanation twice.

And yes, sometimes I have to work very hard to suppress my laughter if one of my mental characters makes a funny joke while I'm in public...
:D LOL

Yes, I'm much wittier in my head too. Its embarrassing to admit that I rehearse that stuff before saying it (but how satisfying is it when people actually take the bait and you get to use it!). Unfortunately, no one tends to find it half as amusing as I hoped.

And the explaining thing is so much fun - I talk to famous people I'm interested in and occasionally historical people. I like to do things like talk to Jane Austen about social advancement, modern invention and how we've been to the moon and stuff. :doh::blush:

I think I need to shut up before everyone begins to shun me. :wacko: