• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Conversations with Self

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. All the time.

Once I was talking to my friend over the internet, and he had to leave. I told him that it's okay, the conversation will just continue in my head. He was slightly confused.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also agreed. Happens very naturally for me, my mind drifts to it.

S

Sniffles

Yes all the time. A man who doesn't talk to himself is somebody not worth talking to anyways. :tongue10:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have any NF's here had experiences where you would have conversations with your friends in your mind? For me, this often happens when I'm taking a shower or getting dressed.

Most of the time I plan out a conversation before it happens. Other times, I will replay prior conversations and try out new responses.

Occasionally I will even laugh at what my friend said as if I were in the real-time moment, only to be thrust back into reality.Then I ask myself "Am I really laughing at my own conscious? Good thing I wasn't in public!"

I assure you, I am not crazy. :doh:

ily.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often play out conversations in my head, conversations that haven't happened, some that will never happen, and different things I can say in the scenarios. I think of if I say certain things to certain people, what their response would be. There are certain responses in people that can be predicted if you know them well enough, but they can be pretty surprising too.

When I know that someone will probably confront me about something, or an undesired interaction will come up, I play ahead what I will say in the situation, and what the other person probably will say in response. I figure out how to act, what to say just bouncing things around in my head. Life isn't always cut-and-dried, what to say isn't clear so planning ahead at least helps. If I don't in advanced, my mind goes blank in the moment.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I often play out conversations in my head, conversations that haven't happened, some that will never happen, and different things I can say in the scenarios. I think of if I say certain things to certain people, what their response would be. There are certain responses in people that can be predicted if you know them well enough, but they can be pretty surprising too.

When I know that someone will probably confront me about something, or an undesired interaction will come up, I play ahead what I will say in the situation, and what the other person probably will say in response. I figure out how to act, what to say just bouncing things around in my head. Life isn't always cut-and-dried, what to say isn't clear so planning ahead at least helps. If I don't in advanced, my mind goes blank in the moment.

Yep, that's a very Ni+Fe way of thinking.

Having conversations in your head might not seem like extroversion/Fe, but it actually is. The external environment doesn't need to be engaged for something to be extroversion (in a way, the internal social interaction is taking place in an environment).

Another thing I do that is extroversion-yet-internal is to simulate music in my head (lines from pop songs etc.) which is Se.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
It's just a black void in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that's a very Ni+Fe way of thinking.

Having conversations in your head might not seem like extroversion/Fe, but it actually is. The external environment doesn't need to be engaged for something to be extroversion (in a way, the internal social interaction is taking place in an environment).

Another thing I do that is extroversion-yet-internal is to simulate music in my head (lines from pop songs etc.) which is Se.

Sigh.