• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] spidey sense

kryten5786

MBTI Type
infj
hello everyone, im new to the forum as a member but i have been reading some posts for about a week now....im a bit shy but i've decided to "stick my toe in the water"

i was just wondering..does anyone else (infj or otherwise) experience what my friends call my "spidey sense" ...
ugh.. i feel crazy for even typing this but its something that I've been able to do as long a i remember.. when some walks to my front door.. i can.. tell who it is just by their foot steps or..i can "feel" them.. the older i get (23) the stronger that abilty has gotten, to the point where i can call friends or my roommates and tell them what there doing in their own rooms..
crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents. i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once.

has anyone else had that happen? or what has been your "strangest" occurrence? if your willing to share..

im really thankful that there is a forum like this and i hope to meet some intelligent thoughtful people :)

PS: i don't see dead people:newwink:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Welcome to the forum :)

And what you're describing sounds very INFJ to me :tongue: I used to have an INFJ friend who'd do the same kinds of things. It bordered on creepy at times :D

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I feel that sometimes, but probably not as much as an INFJ would. Once the phone rang and I knew someone died, turned out it was the principle telling us my PE had died in a car crash.

My father's an INFJ and when a relative dies he dreams of blood- pretty creepy.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
introverted intuitives are the most psychic types. I wanna see that 5 seconds before someone calls things in action.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni isn't literally psychic...it just puts abstract connections in interpretation together more quickly than the conscious judging process can organize them.

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ni isn't literally psychic...it just puts abstract connections in interpretation together more quickly than the conscious judging process can organize them.

That's the rational way of putting it. When we know something happens without explaining why how can we prove whether our subconscious was putting things together, or whether it was a psychic phenomenon. Everyone has had experiences with this, and how we interpret it is just as important as what is "really going on" since we can never know that. In my experience some people seem all too eager to place things on the mystical, and some all too eager to go with the rational route.

I mean, if you heard his example he was talking about knowing a phone was going to ring. Or someone was coming, perhaps his brain picked up on the signals, but isn't that the same thing as psychic? I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive since we as humans don't really know how the brain works to begin with, or what lies beyond the version of 'objective reality' that we all agree exists, and that we all share. Perhaps for a more rational type the idea that things may not work out to logic can be scary, and to more feeling types it can be comforting. It all is based on how we perceive the world around and in us, and everyone is capable of perceiving it all if you want to in my opinion.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What simulatedworld said. Sometimes I'll get an instinctive feeling out of nowhere that hits my gut and my head with a warning of... something. If I ruminate on it in an attempt to analytically disperse it, then instead it resonates and magnifies like microphone feedback, until it overwhelms me. But that doesn't mean that it's right; it just means that it's there. I've learned to just ignore those sensations, as my social awareness is typically more useful. As my (atypical) tertiary function, Ni has a valued place in my life, but that isn't it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hello everyone, im new to the forum as a member but i have been reading some posts for about a week now....im a bit shy but i've decided to "stick my toe in the water"

i was just wondering..does anyone else (infj or otherwise) experience what my friends call my "spidey sense" ...
ugh.. i feel crazy for even typing this but its something that I've been able to do as long a i remember.. when some walks to my front door.. i can.. tell who it is just by their foot steps or..i can "feel" them.. the older i get (23) the stronger that abilty has gotten, to the point where i can call friends or my roommates and tell them what there doing in their own rooms..
crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents. i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once.

has anyone else had that happen? or what has been your "strangest" occurrence? if your willing to share..

im really thankful that there is a forum like this and i hope to meet some intelligent thoughtful people :)

PS: i don't see dead people:newwink:
Actually I know what you mean. It has happened to me a number of times where I just 'know' something or I state something and it happens. But it wouldn't occur in a very common manner you seem to describe. Strange coming from an INtJ but I like to get in touch with the supernatural every once in a while. :D But only when I have my sentimental spasms.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Spot on. :yes:

(And welcome, Kryten, to the forums. Small world, hmm? I might live a few minutes away from you. :D)

I actually undergo similar experiences, and as SW indicates, I believe the psychic aspect is due how I perceive miles faster than what I could express in words, or by any external means. I am also good at interpreting subconscious meanings such as the subtle associations people tend to make with advertisements, objects, etc.

What I think you're doing is reading the hidden context behind someone's actions and solidifying it with your existing knowledge of these individuals. If a person is stomping near the front door, we could assume that either he or she is tired, overweight, angry and so on. If this happens near midnight, then someone's probably had quite a night out.

I'd say you know them so well you could immediately guess what they're doing. For myself, I'm typically on the computer, in class or the library, and assuming I would be doing either of those is a good estimate.

crazy right lol or telling my friends in a bored monotone voice who's about to call them, maybe 5 seconds before their cell ring. calling friends that were just in car accidents.

i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once

Voice tone. Cue words. Facial expressions. Body movements. ;)

I mean, if you heard his example he was talking about knowing a phone was going to ring. Or someone was coming, perhaps his brain picked up on the signals, but isn't that the same thing as psychic? I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive since we as humans don't really know how the brain works to begin with, or what lies beyond the version of 'objective reality' that we all agree exists, and that we all share. Perhaps for a more rational type the idea that things may not work out to logic can be scary, and to more feeling types it can be comforting. It all is based on how we perceive the world around and in us, and everyone is capable of perceiving it all if you want to in my opinion.

These are the sort of associations that Ni does naturally, and if someone wants to believe this skill qualifies as 'psychic'... then so be it. I much rather define it as the skill of reading implicit signals, or Spidey Sense without the magic. :) Just because we cannot explain our perceptions doesn't necessarily imply it's an extrasensory power.

P

Phantonym

Consider yourself lucky.

:rofl1: In all honesty, I'd like to see dead people.

But yes, my spidey sense is tingling all the time (Ha, I've never said that before. Anywhere)

I think it's also about how attached you are to the persons you can have these experiences with. The closer the connection, the more probable it is that it's going to occur. In my case, I have a lot more of this with people I'm closer to. It happens when I'm suddenly finding myself thinking about those people. I get a strong feeling that a phone is going to ring and it's going to be my mother or brother or some of my friends (and not only because we talk regularly) or I'm thinking about one of my cousins and that he/she will visit that same day. Or even with e-mails, I get a feeling that I should check my mailbox. I'm correct every time.

I've had quite a few times happening to me that I listen to the radio, a song pops up in my head and it's exactly the next song that starts to play.

I don't consider any of this as something supernatural. It's funny to experience something like this. I love those little moments.

i just "feel" people and it makes going into crowed places suffocating because i "feel" everyone at once.

Oh, that is true for myself as well. Sometimes it's very pleasant but sometimes it's just so tiring because of all the signals coming from all over the place. I find myself avoiding certain places and I might choose a certain time when to visit some place.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:rofl1: In all honesty, I'd like to see dead people.

And ask them how things are jellin' with the old man in Heaven. :newwink:

But yes, my spidey sense is tingling all the time (Ha, I've never said that before. Anywhere)

Make that double. :D

Except when my own spidey sense is turned on me. :doh:

I can't see myself through someone else's lens because I place myself into their shoes to see their world.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I only really do it by the obvious way... picking up sounds unconsciously and associating said sounds with people I know. :D

You will find plenty of INFJs here to associate with, you'll find someone you can relate to. Welcome.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I can't see myself through someone else's lens because I place myself into their shoes to see their world.

This is an issue with me :doh:

Yes I get the sense as well and I agree with Sky about it being stronger when you're closer to the people. It's that like that with anyway.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oooorrr...the deep south :newwink:

So.... I might ask them, "What could possibly be worse than the worst"?
rolleyes.gif

Yes I get the sense as well and I agree with Sky about it being stronger when you're closer to the people. It's that like that with anyway.

Maybe this is a Fi and Fe difference?

Those perceptions relatively remain on the same strength level, despite my relationship to the person.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
The only thing like this I can remember is hearing the phone ring and before looking at the caller ID I have a good idea it's my friend. It worked most of the time.

The other thing would be knowing who is coming down the stairs by how quickly and heavily they go down it, but that could be done by anyone.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I definitely do.

Though I don't think it's out of nowhere. Just that we are master "puzzle" solvers because of our intuition and gut feelings, so when something is out of place we can sense it. No matter how abstract or "out there" it is. And sometimes we don't consciously know what "puzzle pieces" lead us to our gut feeling, it just happens.

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, I think everyone has had these experiences but some remember them more than others, some ignore them, some explain them away etc.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's the rational way of putting it. When we know something happens without explaining why how can we prove whether our subconscious was putting things together, or whether it was a psychic phenomenon. Everyone has had experiences with this, and how we interpret it is just as important as what is "really going on" since we can never know that. In my experience some people seem all too eager to place things on the mystical, and some all too eager to go with the rational route.

There aren't any "signals" that a phone is going to ring or that someone is coming. No one can predict that with any kind of consistency at all; if you think you or anyone else has predicted this in the past, you got lucky, period.

Listen, getting an intuitive feeling that someone is lying to you is different from getting an intuitive feeling that you're going to win the lottery today.

One is legitimate and the other isn't. The latter is a delusion.