• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] My little niece might be an INFP

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
My dream was to be a ballerina, not a pianist though, lol. I thought they were so pretty and elegant!

I wanted desperately to be a ballerina. I watched hours of ballets, dreamed every night of becoming a prima ballerina, and even wore ballet slippers everywhere. I never danced, though. Not only was it expensive my mom was afriad that I'd turn into one of those girls who had no other prospects but to dance although that wouldn't have been the worst thing that could have happened to me [shrugs].

To this day I still want to dance. I think about it all the time. I even went to a fine arts school with the secret desire to dance (Pathetic :cheese:) but somehow got into theater and violin...Anyway, I agree with you, Bubbles. Dancing, or dreaming of dancing, was life for me as a child.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
when i was little, my aunt always tried to force me to become a ballerina, so i told her i wanted to be the next tom savini!

if only i had stayed true to the dream and learned to render fake guts with latex..

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I wanted desperately to be a ballerina. I watched hours of ballets, dreamed every night of becoming a prima ballerina, and even wore ballet slippers everywhere. I never danced, though. Not only was it expensive my mom was afriad that I'd turn into one of those girls who had no other prospects but to dance although that wouldn't have been the worst thing that could have happened to me [shrugs].

To this day I still want to dance. I think about it all the time. I even went to a fine arts school with the secret desire to dance (Pathetic :cheese:) but somehow got into theater and violin...Anyway, I agree with you, Bubbles. Dancing, or dreaming of dancing, was life for me as a child.

:D My parents would play music and I'd make up my little routines and think I was *so* amazing. I begged and begged to take lessons and when I was four I was allowed to. WELL. Three years later I was done with itchy tights and aching toes, let me tell you, and I was ready to be a painter.

I blame my enneagram 4. :blush:

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
arrgh! I just wrote a long post replying to all your points, and then I lost it :ranting:

You'll just have to imagine all the interesting sentences that are left out of this one...

-When it comes to conversations, I will ask her something and she'll ramble on forever about anything and everything. But around strangers she is very reserved.
I have always(incl as a child) been able to talk incessantly when around someone that I'm comfortable with, otherwise definitely reserved.
I was patronized a lot as a child, although I'm sure the people engaging in this behaviour wouldn't have seen it that way, and I hated it. If I felt there was the slightest chance someone would patronize me then I would say nothing.

-If we go out to the yard for BBQ or something, she'll often stay in her play room and set up these elaborate imaginary settings with her dolls and toys. There will be chairs set up like a class room, with the dolls as students while she lectures in front of the small chalkboard. Other times there is a wedding or babysitting theme. This isn't uncommon for kids to do, but what gets me is the level of detail in her imaginary world. I like to go in there and ask her questions about whats going on and she'll ramble on and on in meticulous detail about names, positions, why they are doing this or that, who was just here but left to pick up this or that at the store, because its on sale blah blah blah etc.
I played with dolls a lot, especially barbie dolls. I would create elaborate setups and a story would be playing out in my head while I was doing this. Generally I didn't physically make the dolls act out, it was more like the elaborate setup was s stage for my imagination - all the action was going on in my head.

I also used to make up stories/adventures and tell them to my younger ESTJ sister. She believed them all (didn't realize this until I was older!), probably because I pretended they were true since it was more fun that way.

Some examples (ages 6-8 i think): flying lessons; smokey the bear lived in the woods behind our house; an elaborate fantasy world revolving around a mound of dirt in our backyard, a witch living under an apple tree, a good mouse, a magic pendent, and the two of us saving the world

Of course I also had endless fantasies that no one else was included in.
During the winter I would become the snow princess, dress up in these gauzy white things, and pretend that I had been captured by the evil Fire Lords (my parents). They had a roaring fire and at first I was locked in the room with it. I would stay as far from it as possible since fire was the only thing that could kill me, but the flickering flames were like a sirens call and I would inexorably move closer. I would sit in front of the fire, gazing into the flames, feeling myself melting, and not being able to resist the illicit temptation.
After a while, the prison would be unlocked and I would be free to go. I would feel the pull between what was good for me, what I should do, and what was mysterious, dangerous...

As this example shows, my stories were (almost) always about feelings.

She does not take risks lightly, and will often not try things that seem dangerous to her whereas other kids jump right in. She thinks very carefully before taking action.
That has always been the same for me. Maybe it is to do with my poor Se skills, I'm not sure. I have always felt very aware that I am not good picking up physical activities like most other people seem to be. I still hate driving.. it feels so dangerous to me. When I was younger I took my time learning to ride a bike, roller blade, water ski... they felt dangerous, and they probably were because I'm not the most coordinated! :9436:

-There is an artsy-fartsy element to her personality, she told me recently "my dream is to learn piano," but she really has an interest in any instrument so she can "make" music with it, complete with improvised lyrics. She also enjoys writing stories which invariably means making copies and giving them to family members after she reads it to them.
I taught myself the piano when I was little... started when I was around 5 or 6 i think. I love music. I'm teaching myself the harp and classical guitar right now... (don't let any of this fool you into thinking I'm good at any of these instruments btw :alttongue:)

Writing stories and poetry has always been something I've done. Probably means more to me than anything else.

-She is independent, and by that I mean she has her own will that doesn't necessarily submit to the will of adults around her. And so there is often conflict with some family members and teachers who do not understand that some people don't care what they think, not because of disrespect or stubborness, but because she simply has a will of her own and does not like to have it violated, even when she knows there will be consequences. Conflicts are rarely about impulsive things that kids commonly fight about like they want more cake or cry about having to quit playing. It's more often about a lack of caring whether or not authority figures approve of her which really irritates some people. This is my favorite trait of hers which I encourage and often find myself defending.
All I can say is, yep that sounds exactly right.
She if very lucky to have someone like you who understands this about her :)

She is also very girly, but I don't know if that means anything.
I was very girly when I was little, then when I got to be a teenager I rebelled against that mold, then I met my husband (INTP) and realized it was ok to be me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was a very shy little girl who usually only had one "best friend" at a time until I was in the third grade when I learned to actually have a group of friends. But if I was with my family or a close friend, I was a total chatterbox, talking non-stop.

I was always very sensitive to noise and stimulation. I screamed a lot as a child. I was a sissy. People remember me as being very nervous.

I remember my imaginary friends names: Lisa and Tommy. I started out with dolls, but by the time I was in late elementary school my friends and I built elaborate imaginary worlds where we were the characters - and we would play out these improvisational "worlds" for days, until we got bored with that and created a new world with new "characters" for ourselves.

Despite the fact that I was shy around strangers, I was very willful.

However, I was extremely obedient to authority figures and wanted to either please or impress them until I was about eleven or twelve, when I became much more independent and rebellious.

I took dance for eleven years, at one point wanted to be a ballerina. I took piano lessons for about three years.

I wrote my first "book" when I was eight. I also liked to put together skits for my friends, sisters, or cousins to act out as a I got older.

I used to tap dance on top of the coffee table. And sing. I wanted to be a singer when I was six.

I honestly don't know if that means INFP or ENFP. When I took the kid's test on here I got ENP.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I still hate driving.. it feels so dangerous to me.

I felt that way for a long time. When I was 29 and going through a personal crisis, I drove halfway across the country and back, by myself. (Long story.) The first day was all white knuckles and gritted teeth, going up and down steep curves, sometimes passing semis. Something about doing that for hour after hour after hour finally broke the hyper-vigilant part of me that stressed about it, so that I was perfectly calm the rest of the way, even with strong crosswinds or in the rain; and I haven't minded driving since.

So maybe I'm suggesting that you go on a long solo road trip and see what happens? I dunno if it would work for you like it did for me, but anyway, best of luck.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something about doing that for hour after hour after hour finally broke the hyper-vigilant part of me that stressed about it

It's more that I tend to space out while driving, all of a sudden I'll snap back to reality and not have any idea how I got to where I am. This also happens to me when I walk around...

It takes a huge amount of concentration for me to stay aware of my surrounding at the level that's necessary for driving, otherwise I'm liable to not notice there are lights let alone that one of them is red.

There have been a couple of times that I only noticed the person on the bike after I passed them... that is a very scary feeling.

Also, I am hopeless at finding my way around... I'm the sort of person who never ever ever knows where the car is, ever. Whereas my INTP husband is excellent at those things, I love riding with him because he always finds his way while never getting stressed or stuck in traffic and at the same time carrying on an interesting conversation with me! :shocking:

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Sounds quite a lot like how I was as a kid.

She sounds adorable if I should say so myself! :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I felt that way for a long time. When I was 29 and going through a personal crisis, I drove halfway across the country and back, by myself. (Long story.) The first day was all white knuckles and gritted teeth, going up and down steep curves, sometimes passing semis. Something about doing that for hour after hour after hour finally broke the hyper-vigilant part of me that stressed about it, so that I was perfectly calm the rest of the way, even with strong crosswinds or in the rain; and I haven't minded driving since.

So maybe I'm suggesting that you go on a long solo road trip and see what happens? I dunno if it would work for you like it did for me, but anyway, best of luck.

Driving scares me too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I scare others when I drive :(

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I
Loathe
Driving.

Because my nerves are so easily rattled, I'm very "hyper-vigilant" on the road, and my eyes have to see everything before I feel comfortable making my next move. It was a real hindrance when I was trying to improve my driving skills in high school. I never felt any certainty behind the wheel, and the task always drained me. To this day I'm still mostly "white knuckles" while driving although surprisingly I do have moments of peace.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I saw her the other day and now she wants me to teach her to play guitar, will have to get her dad to buy her one. Have quite a few instruments and she likes to play with them when she is here with improvised lyrics.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
do it! music is a great outlet... most of the musicians i know with a natural ear seem to be NF

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's more that I tend to space out while driving, all of a sudden I'll snap back to reality and not have any idea how I got to where I am. This also happens to me when I walk around...

It takes a huge amount of concentration for me to stay aware of my surrounding at the level that's necessary for driving, otherwise I'm liable to not notice there are lights let alone that one of them is red.

There have been a couple of times that I only noticed the person on the bike after I passed them... that is a very scary feeling.

Also, I am hopeless at finding my way around... I'm the sort of person who never ever ever knows where the car is, ever. Whereas my INTP husband is excellent at those things, I love riding with him because he always finds his way while never getting stressed or stuck in traffic and at the same time carrying on an interesting conversation with me! :shocking:

Agreed. It's a spooky feeling cause automatically what runs through my head is "i could of hit that person/car/ got in a accident etc :shock:". What if next time i don't see the person and actually hit them? Ne is lethal while driving lol.

Right on rain definitely driving requires a huge amount of concentration for me too. Like i have to be extra vigilant as another member said.
it's especially overwhelming for me when it's raining or winter time at night while snowing or just one of those. It just makes you have to focus even more lol.

You know what my mother is nice enough to get me? a tom tom :O.
I'll be getting it for the holidays but she's hinted at me that she got it for me.
As when i get lost i'm lost period and i will not find my way out haha. *as i panic all the more about "great i'm lost, i don't know where i am eeeek"*

Those INTPs are quite amazing folks aren't they?
You are a very lucky women :). Congrats hehe.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw her the other day and now she wants me to teach her to play guitar, will have to get her dad to buy her one. Have quite a few instruments and she likes to play with them when she is here with improvised lyrics.

aww :wubbie: sounds like your really close to your neice especially
reading the OP.
keep Nurturing those talents/Imagination :).

:newwink:.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a spooky feeling cause automatically what runs through my head is "i could of hit that person/car/ got in a accident etc :shock:". What if next time i don't see the person and actually hit them? Ne is lethal while driving lol.

I know exactly what you're talking about, it's scary...

You know what my mother is nice enough to get me? a tom tom :O.
I'll be getting it for the holidays but she's hinted at me that she got it for me.
As when i get lost i'm lost period and i will not find my way out haha. *as i panic all the more about "great i'm lost, i don't know where i am eeeek"*

A tom tom is some sort of in car GPS system, right? I definitely need something like that. Probably half of my problem driving is that I don't know my way around at all. If I'm not driving, I seem to be physically incapable of paying attention to where we are. It's like being in a car forces my brain into daydream/thinking mode and it takes serious amounts of concentration to be aware of reality for even a few minutes.

When I first arrived in New Zealand I was freaked out about driving because it's on the other side of the road from the States, and I was bad enough on the side used over there. After living here for probably 6 months I finally worked up the courage to try driving; I couldn't even find my way to my mother-in-law's house which was about 5 mins away. I was quite embarrassed.

Everyone I know seems to effortlessly be able to figure out how get to places, they can give other people directions even! :shock:
Maybe this is why it never fails to embarrass me when this deficiency is made public. :blush:

Those INTPs are quite amazing folks aren't they?
You are a very lucky women :). Congrats hehe.

Yea, INTPs are pretty much awesomeness wrapped up in a neat little package of skin. :)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know exactly what you're talking about, it's scary...

A tom tom is some sort of in car GPS system, right? I definitely need something like that. Probably half of my problem driving is that I don't know my way around at all. If I'm not driving, I seem to be physically incapable of paying attention to where we are. It's like being in a car forces my brain into daydream/thinking mode and it takes serious amounts of concentration to be aware of reality for even a few minutes.

When I first arrived in New Zealand I was freaked out about driving because it's on the other side of the road from the States, and I was bad enough on the side used over there. After living here for probably 6 months I finally worked up the courage to try driving; I couldn't even find my way to my mother-in-law's house which was about 5 mins away. I was quite embarrassed.

Everyone I know seems to effortlessly be able to figure out how get to places, they can give other people directions even! :shock:
Maybe this is why it never fails to embarrass me when this deficiency is made public. :blush:

Yea, INTPs are pretty much awesomeness wrapped up in a neat little package of skin. :)

:yes:

yeah it's a GPS system :). But the updates are downloaded for free instead of paying $20 a month for them.

Oh my goodness you mean there isn't something wrong
with me even though i should know my way around, but i don't XD.

Right on and that's what makes it so gosh darn draining too.
Cause it's like you have to tell yourself over and over

"pay attention...pay attention...oh my god that car just got to close
i hope i don't get hit :(...oops...pay attention...where i am going next?...but also "pay attention" lol XD"

Exactly and it feels like i'm defective just cause i have the most trouble in actually driving and getting somewhere. I mean i've gotten better but at first oy vey i felt like i was part stupid XD.

I just couldn't grasp it, i panicked to much and easily. I need to have the route mapped out so i know where i'm going, what do i look for?, do i know how to get home etc. If none of that knowledge is present i get nervous and panic :cry:.Try not to but driving is not a friend.

woah i couldn't imagine learning a new way to drive that would mess me up.
:O seriously wow. awww well i guess if we don't try we'll never get the skill down :( but it's so tramatic of an experience sometimes.

Other side of the road eek that must of just messed with
your chi :O. I would of felt like i'd be afraid i'd lose the skill
just cause it's different now. I hate driving or simply I love to
loathe it :devil: right Rain dancing?

Don't you just envy those people who can drive like it's nobody's
buisness lol. I mean they pick it up quick and with ease and hear's me like
*duuuh what do i do? :doh:* especially direction wise * i suck i tell ya*

The ones that get me are the fearless drivers, woah i can't even imagine
being totally comfortable driving in general without some fear.
I will never speed cause i feel out of control when i even go faster then i should or am used too right?

You are one lucky INFP lol. Indeed they are ;).

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really? I LOVE driving...when I know the area, that is. I love the freedom it brings.

I've heard of a lot of infps disliking to drive though. Am I the only one not against it??

It's hard to explain.
I'm a person who goes between extremes.
So, sometimes I hate driving when I feel anxious, and because I have control freak tendencies I want to be certain of what the other people do on the road (although that's not very realistic). And then there are other times when I feel relaxed and reckless, and driving is this great freedom. It just depends.

Last edited: