• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Introverted Feeling vs. Extraverted Feeling

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fi users do what they feel is right.

Fe users do what they think is right for the group.

All of this "Fe cries on the outside, Fi cries on the inside" is bull.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard Fe describes as being able to sense feelings radiating from others and see the way that they connect between people. This is what gives way to the 'social etiquette' idea that gets equated with Fe. Fe users want harmony in the world. When unchecked, Fe users can lose themselves in maintaining his harmony to the point of overlooking their feelings.

Fi is an inner experience of feelings. They begin internally. Fi wants harmony in themselves. Fi relates to people by taking on the feelings of others as their own. When unchecked, Fi users can lose themselves by taking on these feelings to such an extent it forgets about itself. Fi will help others by helping them find inner harmony, rather than between many people.

i like that...and actually the wording of that made me realize i may have misunderstood some of the questions on the cognitive function test.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi users do what they feel is right.

Fe users do what they think is right for the group.

All of this "Fe cries on the outside, Fi cries on the inside" is bull.

it might be for some...but i have a lot of people i consider close friends and just a couple that have ever seen me upset.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
it might be for some...but i have a lot of people i consider close friends and just a couple that have ever seen me upset.

I just don't think it's the determining factor between Fi and Fe, although some Fi users may repress, so might some Fe users.

wolfy

awsm
The difference between Fi and Fe is where they get their system of understanding from.

Fi is internal and subjective.
Fe is external and objective. Objective in comparison to Fi because it uses an agreed upon model.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dunno if this pertains to other INFP's... but I talk to myself. Yes. I admit it. Lol.

But what does dealing with feelings externally mean, exactly? Like voicing them to someone else, or composing music? Maybe internally vs. externally are too simple words for a too complex system. But I'm basically writing myself into a hole right now.
Dealing with feelings externally to put it in simple examples is like when someone is upset, he/she would cry or when someone is angry he/she would hit the person who made them angry. In a sense it is the action taken when someone feels these emotions.

Ahem. Again I say: I express my emotions. I'm very expressive. Even if I'm an ENFP, I still have Fi.

So your theory isn't quite right. I don't believe that all Fi people don't express their emotions. In fact, they might express them openly, but just not always in a socially appropriate manner.
If someone out of the blue went up to you, slapped you on the face and then insulted you would you cry? Feelers who use Fi and Fe would feel exactly the same feelings. The difference is that Fe users would show how they feel e.g Crying, while the Fi users would hide it and react differently. e.g. giving an expressionless and very still 'shocked' look to the person
I'm not saying Fi users are expressionless. They are full of expression yet will not show someone how they feel as they tend to hide their emotions. Of course negative emotion is what they hide the most.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dealing with feelings externally to put it in simple examples is like when someone is upset, he/she would cry or when someone is angry he/she would hit the person who made them angry. In a sense it is the action taken when someone feels these emotions.

If someone out of the blue went up to you, slapped you on the face and then insulted you would you cry? Feelers who use Fi and Fe would feel exactly the same feelings. The difference is that Fe users would show how they feel e.g Crying, while the Fi users would hide it and react differently. e.g. giving an expressionless and very still 'shocked' look to the person
I'm not saying Fi users are expressionless. They are full of expression yet will not show someone how they feel as they tend to hide their emotions. Of course negative emotion is what they hide the most.

Yes. That's what I'm telling you. I openly cry. Sometimes I yell at people. I don't hit people, but I don't think that's a necessity in any case.

You're not right about this. This does not mean I am an Fe dom. I think you misunderstand these functions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
agreed...i show happy just fine...but the other ones need to be filtered i guess. ??

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
On my current reasoning:

Fi judges previously learned knowledge.
Fe judges the current situation.

Don't think this means one cares about the situation and the other doesn't.

Fe+Ni understands from their previously learned knowledge, then judges the current situation with a focus on people.

Fi+Ne understands from the current situation, then judges their previously learned knowledge with a focus on people.

Fe+Si looks in detail at their previously learned knowledge, then judges the current situation with a focus on people.

Fi+Se looks in detail at the current situation, then judges their previously learned knowledge with a focus on people.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And how exactly do you deal with them? Isn't that what suppressing feelings is. Hiding your emotions. Like when you feel upset but you don't show it and the more you don't show it the more it gets suppressed inside because you can't let it out.

No, it's not a matter of hiding, it's a matter of how I process them. I consider why I am upset, and work through the emotion mentally so that I do not act rashly and become vulnerable. I can quickly surmise what an emotion means, why I am experiencing it, if it is valid, and what I should do with it.

If I am mad, the best thing for me to do is to leave a situation so I can work it out in my head, and then return to it knowing what I need to do to resolve it. There is no denial of the emotion just because it is kept private.

I don't need to lash out to deal with emotions. In fact, when I do lash out, it is because I cannot deal with them, and then I am reaching out for help or shucking responsibility to other people. This might happen if I get upset and cannot escape to reflect on my emotion so as to deal with it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think Ragingkaysuki used the word suppressed correctly. It is just the association we make from it. Suppress can mean:

1. to keep from public knowledge
2. a : to exclude from consciousness b : to keep from giving vent to

I think I don't vent and keep my true feelings further from public knowledge than Fe types. The inferring that it means I'm somehow not dealing with things, isn't necessarily part of his statement. You don't need to choose 2a :).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Ragingkaysuki used the word suppressed correctly. It is just the association we make from it. Suppress can mean:

Oh so now I'm an Fe dom? Since when? Since Ragingkaysuki said so?

Excuse me everyone. xNFJ coming through here.:jew:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, then it makes sense according to that definition, except the emotion is not excluded from my own consciousness. He seems to be implying that the Fi-dom pushes emotions into some deep corner so as not to deal with them. That sounds more like an NT thing.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Well, then it makes sense according to that definition, except the emotion not excluded from my own consciousness. He seems to be implying that the Fi-dom pushes emotions into some deep corner so as not to deal with them. That sounds more like an NT thing.

Yeh, he did infer that with some of the other comments. Was just saying suppression might have been the correct word to describe what we do.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm an Fe user and I express my emotions selectively. If I feel something that I think would detrimental to express (like anger), I will keep it inside. If I feel something that I think could be helpful or productive or bonding (like happiness), I will express it.

I filter my expression of feelings based on goals. I don't think that expressing my feelings just for the sake of doing it is useful. But if I think that expressing a negative emotion could help someone or a situation, I will do it.

People aren't robots, so this isn't always accurate, but it's true 80% of the time.

But I'm a T Fe user, so it might be different for an F.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I think if there's a big difference between keeping feelings from public knowledge (which is exactly what OrangeAppled is claiming that she does) and rejecting thoughts or feelings because they are disagreeable to the mind. The disagreement here is over the meaning of the words "suppress" and "repress."

I'm confused, though, because it seems like emotions, by their nature, seek expression. So keeping them in, for whatever reason (so that you can go over them while you're alone, or so that you can forget them, or whatever), requires a certain amount of control. The emotions must be forced down and out of sight if you wish to keep them from public expression. That control is a form of repression. I guess the difference is that, in one situation, the person only represses the feelings long enough for them to get away and deal with it on their own. In the other, the person permanently represses the feelings. So it all boils down to a temporal distinction.