• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs the rarest type...

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
I've met 3 INFJs in person and a million jillion online.

Either they are extremely common, or I'm just a magnet.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've met 3 INFJs in person and a million jillion online.

Either they are extremely common, or I'm just a magnet.

IME they tend to like the ISTPs. :D

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
They always talk about cracking me like a nut and seeing my insides.

These things called 'feelings'

D:

It's disturbing.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ You're supposed to be "duals" according to socionics, apparently the best relationship you can have?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ The problem is you're only part-time psychics, but you think you're full-time.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
hell no i work that shit full time and get paid full time GOOD MONIES

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs are good at picking up people's true intentions, I'll give you that.

They do not however, change their personalities in any way. They tend to be accomodating to people's quirks, but they do not change themselves.

I agree with this. The type that is a social chameleon is INTP. They're the hardest to spot because in certain social situations they will mirror people.

Anyway, I've noticed that people who discover Myers Briggs often do so through a search to understand themselves. And frequently, this search is triggered by a perception that there is something abnormal about them. So that's why a lot of Myers Briggs boards tend to have high number of Ns (Ns being in the minority in the general populace, and frequently treated as an albatross by a lot of social circles), and then there are people who have mental issues who are attracted to Myers Briggs (people with mental issues also have trouble fitting in, you see). And of course, Myers Briggs is a big relief to Ns with mental issues. So I see a lot of people with mental issues using a particular type as an explanation of their abnormal mental states i.e., "I'm not schizoid bipolar, I'm just an artistic INFP, lol", or "INFJs are the rarest types, no wonder everyone in school always thought I was a mental case". Some people mistype themselves because they read some crude type-explanation and think "It says here than INTJs tend to be cantankerous assholes. Hey, I'm a cantankerous asshole. I must be an INTJ!"

And thus you get all these people causing general type confusion.

Yes this seems to be true. Also I think sensors with mental issues will test as Ns. Well Ns aren't in the concrete world as much as sensors. Isn't this especially true for INFJs due to inferior Se?Wouldn't this be an easy mistyping for sensors with problems. Therefore, INFJs have the largest number of mistyped sensors with mental issues in the group. :p (The last sentence is a joke.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ps in general tend to display an outwardly flexible attitude but are rarely willing to question the fundamental bases for any of their internal beliefs.

The standard NP response: Listen to and humor people with different ideas all day long but rarely consider actually changing your position!

We question our internal beliefs ourselves though. We just ignore other people's questioning :tongue:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

D:

It's disturbing.

You have to see yourself in an objective perspective. In the company of an ISTP, everyone is INFJ :D

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFJs are good at picking up people's true intentions, I'll give you that.

They do not however, change their personalities in any way. They tend to be accomodating to people's quirks, but they do not change themselves.

Yes. I'm like a collection of my subconscious surroundings.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hmm...perhaps there are INFJs who are perceived differently. I know that the INFJ energy is pretty unmistakeable when you encounter it though. I understand what you are saying - the perception of who an INFJ is too narrow so a lot of INFJs may go unnoticed?

That (narrow) perception of who an INFJ is still a pretty clear one, so I have sucessfully typed 2 INFJs (well, 1 INFJ and 1 INXJ) irl. Just very, very obvious INXJ energy/behavior.

I wonder if some types are easily mis-typed as INFJ? Because there are 2-3 other people I know who I make a good guess as INFJ but have no way to confirm.

As for being 'rare' I think it also depends on who you attract/are attracted to IRL. I can tell that there are more sensors than intuitives IRL because of my highschool, college, and work experiences - but as for my friend and social group, it's majority intuitive with more NPs than NJs. They kinda fall out of trees in certain circles. And I know lots and lots of INTPs and INFPs irl - you guys aren't so special!!! LOL. (Though INXPs on the forum have suggested a lot of INXPs especially online are mis-typed) But, you get what I mean. There are other threads on type rarity/"types you know irl" that might be interesting to check out based on your OP.

I had my roommates take different cognitive function and myers-briggs tests (the ones that were recommended by this forum) and TWO female roommates tested repeatedly as ENFP. I could not believe it because the 3 of us are are perceived very differently by others and even another roommate did not believe we 'shared' the same personality. The chances of 3 ENFP women just happening to move in together seemed too much of a coincidence but :shrug:

Um, yeah, all that ^^ somehow related to and answered your OP. :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

D:

It's disturbing.

omg......i used to say those exact words to this istp guy i know. i'd say, "you're a tough nut to crack," and he'd say, "i'm not that tough," and i'd say stuff like (when he threw me a bone [with an ulterior motive i'm sure] and let me glimpse an actual emotion), "oooh, you're all nougaty inside" and yada, yada, yada--all sorts of cracking nut metaphors. :smile:

that's slightly disturbing. i actually checked your info to make sure you weren't him. haha.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
You have to see yourself in an objective perspective. In the company of an ISTP, everyone is INFJ :D

Once I find an objective person who isn't a manipulative ass, I latch onto them.

I struggle with objectivity a LOT and a lot of time I think ETPs treat me like I'm dumb and can't learn. Then I put them on my blacklist unfairly, but I would rather weed out people quickly and latch onto the ones that I feel aren't going to pass me off for mistakes I make, like stuttering, putting in wrong words, and being pretty blind to my surroundings. I have found some awesome ENPs.

But back on topic, INFJs definitely can look like different types depending on how they grew up.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I struggle with objectivity a LOT and a lot of time I think ETPs treat me like I'm dumb and can't learn. Then I put them on my blacklist unfairly, but I would rather weed out people quickly and latch onto the ones that I feel aren't going to pass me off for mistakes I make, like stuttering, putting in wrong words, and being pretty blind to my surroundings. I have found some awesome ENPs.

Wait until you get older, then everyone will start to stutter a bit, to put in wrong words and be pretty blind for his surroundings. You on the other hand, by this time, will be their Master in that feat :D

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I mean it. Delete the posts or I will delete you.

I will let an admin decide if it is worth deleting. I might clean it up to make it sound more professional and less emo, but otherwise it's staying up there.

Entropie, maybe I'll just go to the party and be the only sober one to get the same results. It's closer to now than 10-20 years in the future. And everyone loooves a designated driver :rolli:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think their energy has a lot to do with their enneagram type. their enneagram type helps articulate their development as an infj, ie 5s are usually the most T and knowledge focused, 4s are the most immediately expressive, and 9s and 1s are floating around somewhere in the ether (out of the 10 or so infjs i've met, i've never met one). 6s are the most fidgety and incredibly anxious (met 2 so far?).

i recognize them pretty quickly, but their social interactions with introverted perception and Fe make it difficult to spot the difference socially from isfjs and infjs in an immediate way. talking to them and observing them, their eye movements help to discern differences, altho that can also be observed by differences in people favoring visual vs auditory vs kinesthetic information systems. so it's pretty difficult. temperament talk helps a little bit, but mostly i find temperament behavioral descriptions to be hit-or-miss. isfjs, tho, according to interaction styles are behind the scenes and isfjs are chart the course. i think this is pretty telling. underneath my responsiveness to others, i, like most infjs and chart-the-coursers, have an inner tyrant. i just need Fe judgments around me to compile and make my decision. infjs may look as passive on the outside as isjfs often do, but they rarely are on the inside. even if they don't necessarily extrovert well.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
i think their energy has a lot to do with their enneagram type. their enneagram type helps articulate their development as an infj, ie 5s are usually the most T and knowledge focused, 4s are the most immediately expressive, and 9s and 1s are floating around somewhere in the ether (out of the 10 or so infjs i've met, i've never met one). 6s are the most fidgety and incredibly anxious (met 2 so far?).

What about 8's?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
8s are more extroverted, more judging, and more T. it seems like a theoretical impossibility to me. infjs are usually chart-the-course rather than in-charge, which is very much like 8. they're directive and j but in an introverted + feely kind of way. their Ti is more initiating for them, but less controlling than an extroverted judging function.

how do you see them fitting together for yourself?