• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs the rarest type...

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFJs are supposed to be rare. Maybe it's possible that when research was done to find the percentage number of each type, INFJs were only rare because they were the hardest to actually type.
SO catching the INFJ in their original state was really hard. INFJs can easily mislead people into thinking they are any other personality type.

lol, no.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:dont: you are mislead

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
:dont: you are mislead

In my experience, INFPs are the most "typologically confused" - they test INTP one morning, then ESFJ the next.

Anyway, I've noticed that people who discover Myers Briggs often do so through a search to understand themselves. And frequently, this search is triggered by a perception that there is something abnormal about them. So that's why a lot of Myers Briggs boards tend to have high number of Ns (Ns being in the minority in the general populace, and frequently treated as an albatross by a lot of social circles), and then there are people who have mental issues who are attracted to Myers Briggs (people with mental issues also have trouble fitting in, you see). And of course, Myers Briggs is a big relief to Ns with mental issues. So I see a lot of people with mental issues using a particular type as an explanation of their abnormal mental states i.e., "I'm not schizoid bipolar, I'm just an artistic INFP, lol", or "INFJs are the rarest types, no wonder everyone in school always thought I was a mental case". Some people mistype themselves because they read some crude type-explanation and think "It says here than INTJs tend to be cantankerous assholes. Hey, I'm a cantankerous asshole. I must be an INTJ!"

And thus you get all these people causing general type confusion.

By the way, y'all need to stop with the "I'm an INFJ, and even though I'm a J, my desk is messy!!!" stuff.
A LOT of xNxJs tend to have messy desks, even though they are Js. That's because they are also Ns, and as such, often spend too much time in their head and ignore their physical surroundings, resulting in general disarray. It's not some mystery INFJ-specific trait.

Jaguar

If you saw my desk you would shit. Bombs away!

Edit: I just looked around my room and began laughing.
Looks like a Cat 5 hurricane hit. Lol.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
... Im saying it's really hard to find an INFJ because they are really hard to type... This forum is just somewhat of a magnet to them and that's why many of them are here.

Online?...That's-because-it's-easier-to-tell-someone-to-screw-off-when-they-are-talking-nonsense,-the-J-comes-out.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In my experience, INFPs are the most "typologically confused" - they test INTP one morning, then ESFJ the next.

Anyway, I've noticed that people who discover Myers Briggs often do so through a search to understand themselves. And frequently, this search is triggered by a perception that there is something abnormal about them. So that's why a lot of Myers Briggs boards tend to have high number of Ns (Ns being in the minority in the general populace, and frequently treated as an albatross by a lot of social circles), and then there are people who have mental issues who are attracted to Myers Briggs (people with mental issues also have trouble fitting in, you see). And of course, Myers Briggs is a big relief to Ns with mental issues. So I see a lot of people with mental issues using a particular type as an explanation of their abnormal mental states i.e., "I'm not schizoid bipolar, I'm just an artistic INFP, lol", or "INFJs are the rarest types, no wonder everyone in school always thought I was a mental case". Some people mistype themselves because they read some crude type-explanation and think "It says here than INTJs tend to be cantankerous assholes. Hey, I'm a cantankerous asshole. I must be an INTJ!"

And thus you get all these people causing general type confusion.
This isn't what I'm on about. You're talking about people mistyping themselves while I'm talking about us mistyping them. I'm also saying that INFJs are hard to type because they unintentionally change their personalities quite often in real life social situations.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
This isn't what I'm on about. You're talking about people mistyping themselves while I'm talking about us mistyping them. I'm also saying that INFJs are hard to type because they unintentionally change their personalities quite often in real life social situations.

Yeah I don't know wtf you base that on. INFJs tend to be quite rigid with their ethos, so I can't imagine this "unintential change in personalities". The only type I can think of that even comes close to that is an ISFP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I don't know wtf you base that on. INFJs tend to be quite rigid with their ethos, so I can't imagine this "unintential change in personalities". The only type I can think of that even comes close to that is an ISFP.

INFJs only project an outwardly rigid appearance due to Fe wanting the outer world systematically organized. Inside they are dominant Ni, just like INTJs, and open to all kinds of possibilities.

If you want rigid about ethos, look at INFP.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFJs only project an outwardly rigid appearance due to Fe wanting the outer world systematically organized. Inside they are dominant Ni, just like INTJs, and open to all kinds of possibilities.

Not interested in your cognitive voodoo, Ms Cleo.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I'm flexible in a sense, but I think that I know what you mean. By enforcing policies in an organization, I've learned how to operate in the infinite shades of grey inbetween the bright lines; a good rule of thumb that I developed is to exercise my humanity whenever I have an opportunity to do so.

However, part of me would die inside if I ever compromised my personal ethics. For example, I'm incapable of keeping excess change from a careless cashier; whenever I try to rationalize it, I see right through my own B.S. and give it back. I expect that's the kind of rigidity that you're talking about.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You got me stuck there for a while. Tis what I get for trusting my Ni too much hmmm. I'd base it on their unintentional and quick mood changes which may change the neutral course of their personality.
Or maybe their ability to read someone like a book and adhere to the persons liking.
Ask the INFJs themselves and they'll probably tell you that they change unintentionally during their social interactions.
What you see on the outside may not be what's on the inside.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
You got me stuck there for a while. Tis what I get for trusting my Ni too much hmmm. I'd base it on their unintentional and quick mood changes which may change the neutral course of their personality.
Or maybe their ability to read someone like a book and adhere to the persons liking.
Ask the INFJs themselves and they'll probably tell you that they change unintentionally during their social interactions.
What you see on the outside may not be what's on the inside.

INFJs are good at picking up people's true intentions, I'll give you that.

They do not however, change their personalities in any way. They tend to be accomodating to people's quirks, but they do not change themselves.

I did notice that ENFPs tend to mimic people's body language and their facial expressions, most likely to build rapport. Still though, their apparent "type change" is very superficial.

Anyway, I think you jumped the gun with that INFJ theory thing.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're speculating that INFJs could have been lying, what makes you think everyone else wasn't lying or mislead or mistested? If it's one type in particular that's mislead about these sort of things it's the INFP, they will see one tiny detail in another type's profile and instantly question their type. "Omg I relate to this line in the INTP profile I'm an INXP!" from the amount of over analyzing they do when it comes to themselves.

These "statistics" that people magically come up with for percents of types or percents of intuitives are just fishy and unreliable.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I've never said anything about lying.
INFJs are good at picking up people's true intentions, I'll give you that.

They do not however, change their personalities in any way. They tend to be accomodating to people's quirks, but they do not change themselves.

I did notice that ENFPs tend to mimic people's body language and their facial expressions, most likely to build rapport. Still though, their apparent "type change" is very superficial.

Anyway, I think you jumped the gun with that INFJ theory thing.
To put in a different way maybe more of an 'adapt themselves' rather than 'change themselves'. I've often seen INFJs complain quite a bit when it comes to people typing them. They say that 'people' never get it right. Maybe the INFJs mistyped themselves as you mentioned in one of your previous points.
Perhaps your right though. I may be thinking too much.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm flexible in a sense, but I think that I know what you mean. By enforcing policies in an organization, I've learned how to operate in the infinite shades of grey inbetween the bright lines; a good rule of thumb that I developed is to exercise my humanity whenever I have an opportunity to do so.

However, part of me would die inside if I ever compromised my personal ethics. For example, I'm incapable of keeping excess change from a careless cashier; whenever I try to rationalize it, I see right through my own B.S. and give it back. I expect that's the kind of rigidity that you're talking about.

Ps in general tend to display an outwardly flexible attitude but are rarely willing to question the fundamental bases for any of their internal beliefs.

The standard NP response: Listen to and humor people with different ideas all day long but rarely consider actually changing your position!

(NJs, on the other hand, tend to take a long time to open up to the idea of listening to different ideas at all, but once that outer shell is broken are much more internally flexible and willing to seriously consider other viewpoints...not just do them lip service.)