• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ mistyped as INTP?

Nyx

I have been analyzing the Myers Briggs system for a while. I initially tested as an INTP many times. The profiles never quite fit me in a few ways. The only thing I had in common with INTPs was my love of learning/analyzing pretty much everything. I then realized that I was an F. Possibly, I thought, I was an INFP. I read the descriptions of INFPs and it fit better, in regards for being more romantic, etc...however, it still didn't fit quite well. By chance I was reading an INFJ profile and I noticed their functions were as follows:

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxilliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

For the INTP, the dominant function is Introverted Thinking.

I know myself well enough to know this is not true of me. I definitely use my Introverted Intuitive function the most. After that comes Fe. This was the hard part for me to understand. I might have been in denial or not fully aware of it. I thought I was a thinking type because I like to learn and I have a tendency to be intellectual. For a while I equated Fe with being irrational and even not as intelligent. However, I realized that I value empathy and compassion over justice, etc. Whenever I get extremely upset, it was always over the state of the world in regards to how people or treated unfairly and how it did not make sense, or how I felt purposeless and without meaning or identity. I definitely know I am not Fi (ruling out INFP) because I cannot relate to that mind set. I also noticed most INFPs I know, I get along with to a certain point, but there is a weird tension between us. We get each other but function differently. I may be able to be intellectual but at the core I cannot grapple with this sense of having no meaning or identity. It shatters my life. I also talked to my truly NT friends and realized the way they process things is different. Although I know they have emotions, they seem cold to me at times because of their very logical nature. I don't quite understand that mentality of predominately thinking logically in order to living happy and healthily. I am not inherently logical and look more to how I feel about things and my place in the world. I am constantly asking "What is my purpose?" and look for ways to derive meaning and value from things as well as understand them in that context. I am open to emotions. NTs shut down when prodded and seek to rationalize or ignore emotions in order to do whatever it is they need to do. I fundamentally cannot do this. I did however come to understand I use my Thinking function as a defense mechanism against feeling when mentally unhealthy.

It was easy for me to come to terms with being an INFX. I could not decide whether I was a P or a J. I realized that as a child I was most definitely a J. As I grew older I had a few traumatic experiences which stopped me in my tracks and perhaps under this stress I shut down. On the outside it would appear I was a strong P. As I have gotten older and overcome these issues my J has come out more. I think because I am now mentally healthy my type seems more obvious. I have read in more than one place though, that for INFJs, external organization will not equal internal organization. This is what I highly identified with. My "inner world" is very organized. I set goals for what I want to do and will spend a lot of time laying out a plan and milestones for the long term goal (usually in my head... though I have scraps of paper with scribblely plans on them lying around) I do adhere to this. Before I do something I like to know what I'm getting into which I didn't notice about myself initially. I always ask something like "And what will that entail?" "How long will it be?" etc... When confronted with something so I can make a decision about it easily and quickly. Once I decide though I am comfortable with it. I hate not having a plan/idea of what I will be doing. I am uncomfortable when things are open or undefined in a literal sense. (especially in regards to goals or relationships) I want to be able to categorize things and put them into the larger frame work so it all fits together because this is the only way the things I want will work out. If I did not do this nothing would get done and I would be in a rut. When emotionally traumatized I shut down in this way. Self-sabotage I suppose.
this sums it up well especially the constant redefining priorities to get things done:

INFJs place great importance on having things orderly and systematic in their outer world. They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives. On the other hand, INFJs operate within themselves on an intuitive basis which is entirely spontaneous. They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. They are usually right, and they usually know it. Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.

as a side note my Socionics type is INFp which is equal to a Myers Briggs INFJ...or so I have heard. I have always tested as this. I also always test as a Enneagram 4w5. I remembered reading somewhere that INFJs are most commnly 4s...I have no idea how true this is.

also I am shamelessly attracted to ENTPs, what I consider my perfect type for a partner. We are both Ns which is essential. We can communicate. But all the other functions complement each other, like a puzzle piece. To me it seem they would be an ideal match for an INFJ.

I will say this is the first time I really felt like a Myers Briggs typed described me in the best way. These websites really confirmed my thoughts and helped me understand this better.

INFJ Handbook

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Ok, I am extremely sick of talking about myself. Sorry that was long but I am actually primarily interested if anyone else has mistyped themselves like this or had a similar experience, thus the lengthy discussion. Why do you think this confusion happens?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's happened before. I think it may be because both are introverted intuitive types, and INFJs may confuse their Ni-Ti for a dominant Ti. Ni can seem like "thinking" in the common sense of the word.

I am uncomfortable when things are open or undefined in a literal sense. (especially in regards to goals or relationships) I want to be able to categorize things and put them into the larger frame work so it all fits together because this is the only way the things I want will work out. If I did not do this nothing would get done and I would be in a rut.
I'm the same way. I'm not entirely comfortable when things are "up in the air."

I also always test as a Enneagram 4w5. I remembered reading somewhere that INFJs are most commnly 4s...I have no idea how true this is.
I've heard INFJ 1, 4, 5, and 9 most often. 4 and 9 are probably the most common.

Welcome to your INFJness (not that you weren't always). It'll be a fun ride. ;)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Awww... another INTP turns out to be an INFJ.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJ is just awesome. Congratulations on finding your true type. I'd say INFJs would be my favourite type. Unfortunate, that I never meet many of them in real life.

Awww... another INTP turns out to be an INFJ.
Another? HOW DO YOU MEAN?

Nyx

It's happened before. I think it may be because both are introverted intuitive types, and INFJs may confuse their Ni-Ti for a dominant Ti. Ni can seem like "thinking" in the common sense of the word.

I'm the same way. I'm not entirely comfortable when things are "up in the air."

I've heard INFJ 1, 4, 5, and 9 most often. 4 and 9 are probably the most common.

Welcome to your INFJness (not that you weren't always). It'll be a fun ride. ;)

Yes, I think I was confusing my Ni and Ti. This makes so much sense! I'm so glad I have figured this out. I actually think this has helped me see who I really am instead of who I thought I was.

And yes, Matthew, how do you mean?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
am i an INFJ, too, then? i'm a Ni / Fe / Ti 4w5, also..

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it's because we don't relate well to Keirsey's NF archetype. It's just not as natural for us as NFPs. We tend to see ourselves as more intellectual than spiritual/emotional, even if we're compassionate, concerned with image, and focused on social issues.

I think it also happens because we can resemble INTPs if we get caught in an Ni-Ti self-analysis loop. Introverts often fall prey to the tertiary temptation and end up using their dominant and tertiary more often than their auxiliary, which is what they "should" use to break the loop, but often don't want to because it would force them to focus on the outer world.

I know all about that. My functional order (on the last test I took) is actually... Ni > Ti > Fe > Ne=Si > Se=Te > Fi.

I think I'm a 9w1. I used to think 4w5, but I realized I'm not all that emotionally concerned with identity as much as harmony, I'm just extremely curious about the nature of identity.

I've been on INTJf, and I've noticed that there are an awful lot of "INTJs" who talk about how they've stopped helping and concerning themselves with people who don't deserve it, and finally learned to embrace their "natural coldness"... at about age 25. ;) Yeah, I have a feeling INTJs, INFJs, and INTPs tend to mistake themselves for one another a LOT.

Oh, and I normally have an avatar of a person's face. My current one is because I'm trying to REALLY get into computer networking, as I'm trying to find a career associated with that. In case you were wondering.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It would seem so...those are the functions of an INFJ, the fourth being Se.

hm.. my fourth function is Fi, according to the cognitiveprocesses.com assessment.

i relate to your OP about trauma and P-type behavior; interesting to think about.

reading over the infjorinfp link about communication styles, i deduced that i definitely communicate more like a permissive P...though my internal dialogue is probably more J , and when i'm working with children, i tend to be equally directive and informative.

for the moment i guess i'm INFx

thank you for your posts, Nyx

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's because we don't relate well to Keirsey's NF archetype. It's just not as natural for us as NFPs. We tend to see ourselves as more intellectual than spiritual/emotional, even if we're compassionate, concerned with image, and focused on social issues.

I think it also happens because we can resemble INTPs if we get caught in an Ni-Ti self-analysis loop. Introverts often fall prey to the tertiary temptation and end up using their dominant and tertiary more often than their auxiliary, which is what they "should" use to break the loop, but often don't want to because it would force them to focus on the outer world.

this may be true for you, appearing to have Ti as your aux/tert function, but it isn't true for me, having a lot of F in place of T for some reasons i'm still trying to fathom.

Nyx

hm.. my fourth function is Fi, according to the cognitiveprocesses.com assessment.

i relate to your OP about trauma and P-type behavior; interesting to think about.

reading over the infjorinfp link about communication styles, i deduced that i definitely communicate more like a permissive P...though my internal dialogue is probably more J , and when i'm working with children, i tend to be equally directive and informative.

for the moment i guess i'm INFx

thank you for your posts, Nyx

Hmm... I think it is fairly easy to determine whether you are INFJ or INFP...

There are a couple ways to think about it...

J and P... if your judging function is extroverted (either F or T, Fe obviously for INFJ) then you are a J. If your perceiving function is extroverted (Ne or Se, Ne for INFP) then you are a P.

My cognitive processes were as follows on that website : Ni, Ti, Fe, Fi, Ne, Se, Si, Te

So both of us have our fourth function as Fi. My Fe function was slightly higher. The website said my possible typing was INFJ.

I think INFJs are way more into their Ni, and INFPs their Fi (the usual dominant functions)...I think they are more into how their internal system functions in regards to how they feel about it and how it works for them and their principles/values. I think INFJs due to the Ni-Fe thing see it in a broader context. It's the whole end in itself versus a means to an end thing...the latter being INFJ.

What are your functions in order? What do you use most? I think if you read a few INFJ and INFP descriptions you will be able to decide which one you are. It really comes down to if your Judging or Perceiving function is extroverted. That affects everything. Also consider the difference between Ni and Ne (INFPs Intuitive function). Learning about functions makes typing a lot easier and more accurate. More interesting too.

Hope this helps/makes sense!

Edit: I forgot to include Ne as my fifth function!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni vs Ne thoughts and hello to you, nyx.

J and P... if your judging function is extroverted (either F or T, Fe obviously for INFJ) then you are a J. If your perceiving function is extroverted (Ne or Se, Ne for INFP) then you are a P.

My cognitive processes were as follows on that website : Ni, Ti, Fe, Fi, Se, Si, Te

So both of us have our fourth function as Fi. My Fe function was slightly higher. The website said my possible typing was INFJ.

I think INFJs are way more into their Ni, and INFPs their Fi (the usual dominant functions)...I think they are more into how their internal system functions in regards to how they feel about it and how it works for them and their principles/values. I think INFJs due to the Ni-Fe thing see it in a broader context. It's the whole end in itself versus a means to an end thing...the latter being INFJ.

What are your functions in order? What do you use most? I think if you read a few INFJ and INFP descriptions you will be able to decide which one you are. It really comes down to if your Judging or Perceiving function is extroverted. That affects everything. Also consider the difference between Ni and Ne (INFPs Intuitive function). Learning about functions makes typing a lot easier and more accurate. More interesting too.

hi nyx! welcome fellow infj. i've been enjoying reading your posts and appreciating your insights. it comes at a time when i'm heavily investigating my own typing and functions usage. since you utilize Ti much better than me, it helps to see your assessment as a fellow infj. i figured out i have a lot of Fi and Fe (and Ne), so i have been confused with, and have many similar characteristics with, nfp, especially enfp typology. but after much reflection (using the first link you listed) and some other current functions threads on here, i know i use Ni primarily (lately i exist in this sort of dreamy haze, staring off into space) although it's such an abstract function, and hard to qualify and describe, you know?

two recent discoveries i've made in trying to understand the differences between Ni and Ne are that if i used Ne predominantly, i think i would be looking outward at the world, to writings, to opinions, to people, to try and make sense of something. but what i DO is the opposite. i virtually shut my body down and just live in my head. i stare off into space and ignore everyone and everything around me. until i glean some much desired insight, which interestingly occurs after i've had some sleep-in the middle of the night-or, more often, first thing when i awaken in the morning. i.e. after i've let my mind rest for a while.

the other thing i find different is that i search for the One Right Answer for myself. i might start off taking a bit of one truth, a bit of another truth, and so on, and i reconcile them all until i can funnel it into some unerring new construct for myself, or until further data is forthcoming. i think this is the process of induction? this can take days or months to sift through when i am learning something new, especially for me as i lack good Ti (i am a slow learner usually, and i think this is why). i don't do this if it relates to people as much (unless i'm dealing with a type i've not had experience with before) because i use Fe/Fi pretty well. i think Ne users are more likely to just find many truths or many possibilities to fit a situation, and would not have the patience for, nor interest in, finding one right way.

just some recent thoughts. i find that Ni definitions are much too difficult to come by. and i'd love to hear you expound more on it as well.........

Nyx

hi nyx! welcome fellow infj. i've been enjoying reading your posts and appreciating your insights. it comes at a time when i'm heavily investigating my own typing and functions usage. since you utilize Ti much better than me, it helps to see your assessment as a fellow infj. i figured out i have a lot of Fi and Fe (and Ne), so i have been confused with, and have many similar characteristics with, nfp, especially enfp typology. but after much reflection (using the first link you listed) and some other current functions threads on here, i know i use Ni primarily (lately i exist in this sort of dreamy haze, staring off into space) although it's such an abstract function, and hard to qualify and describe, you know?

two recent discoveries i've made in trying to understand the differences between Ni and Ne are that if i used Ne predominantly, i think i would be looking outward at the world, to writings, to opinions, to people, to try and make sense of something. but what i DO is the opposite. i virtually shut my body down and just live in my head. i stare off into space and ignore everyone and everything around me. until i glean some much desired insight, which interestingly occurs after i've had some sleep-in the middle of the night-or, more often, first thing when i awaken in the morning. i.e. after i've let my mind rest for a while.

the other thing i find different is that i search for the One Right Answer for myself. i might start off taking a bit of one truth, a bit of another truth, and so on, until i funnel it into a reconcilable new construct for myself. this can take days or months to sift through when i am learning something new, especially for me as i lack good Ti (i am a slow learner usually, and i think this is why). i don't do this if it relates to people as much (unless i'm dealing with a type i've not had experience with before) because i use Fe/Fi pretty well. i think Ne users are more likely to just find many truths or many possibilities to fit a situation, and would not have the patience for, nor interest in, finding one right way.

just some recent thoughts. i find that Ni definitions are much too difficult to come by. and i'd love to hear you expound more on it as well.........

Thanks for the welcome! I'm really happy I could help you in some way to figuring out your type. It's frustrating not to be sure. I don't see Myers Briggs as a dogmatic system. I get upset when people tell me it's silly to categorize people because that's not what Myers Briggs is about. It's more like your tendencies. (when healthy of course...unhealthy reactions are a whole other thing). It helps you understand yourself better and others better. As INFJs that's up their with our ultimate goals. And it's just so interesting to analyze.

I am so glad I figured out my type because when I thought I was an INTP I was primarily reading the NT forums and I did not have much to say. I have so much more to say over here about NFs and I really relate to all you INFJs. Plus, you guys seem a tad more friendly/warm which appeals to my Fe ;)

I totally get what you are saying about Ni. And yes, It is very abstract and hard to define.

I also search for the One Answer. Sifting through knowledge and such.

I see my Ni as what saves me (when my other functions aren't coming in and messing with it). If I didn't have it I would go insane. I think it is the most interesting function because it is so abstract and undefinable, yet, at the same time, its insights are penetrating. Isn't that just the coolest thing? I find it leads me to be very interested in spiritual/mystical/esoteric/occult things. I also love Jung. He was definitely an INFJ, his whole psychology is Ni-Ti. Paired with my Ti, I could be seen as being quite an intellectual. What keeps me from being an INTJ is I don't place must value in logic as a way to think about my life (of course I understand it and how it can be useful at times) and my Fe is quite important to me.

Basically Ni is the definition of mystical. We are the mystics. I could not describe myself in any other way. Most of my goals in life center around this. I have no idea why it was not more obvious to me previously I was an INFJ. Fits like a glove.

Being an INFJ is an interesting experience, at times an isolating one. Maybe the only people who will get closest to understand us as individuals are other INFJs. Or at least the way we work. No one will understand you completely. That is the nature of Ni. This makes me a little sad. This is why we are introverts. We have to be ok with our sense of alone-ness in the world...sometimes I think we can be the loneliest type.

Also I read somewhere on a website (I can't find it, it's driving me crazy!) That sometimes INFJs don't always go for a lot of physical-ness in a relationship. Let me clarify. This might be me being weird... but sometimes even if I am with some I love/like (romantically) I might not always want to touch them/hug...or have lot of physical contact. I love having spiritual/mind melding without physical closeness sometimes. I may be enjoying them very much at the time but they will start to think I don't like them. I guy I was involved with for many months and who I really liked kept being unsure of whether I liked him. He's an ENTP so I had to really prod him for an answer. He kept saying "No it's stupid." ...eventually conceding to admit it was my BODY LANGUAGE! I was so confused! He said the way I handled my body made it seem like I didn't like him. I have no idea how or why I do this/why he sees it this way. This has happened with every guy who has liked me. Even when I like a guy they stay I still do it. Not all the time. Sometimes I will be cuddly, but then the next time we are together I won't be. It's just who I am. I'm not doing it on purpose. This ENTP is endlessly perplexed and interested in investigating my depths. He says he feels like he grasps most of me but there is always an elusive part. Undefined. It drives people mad! It never turns people off though. More broadly my other good friends (both male and female) say the same thing. The most common types to say this are ENFPs, ENTPs, ENFJs, and ENTJs. I don't know about introverted types but I feel like maybe they get it more...or they don't voice their confusion.
I always stress I don't do this on purpose! All of them say they never thought I did but I don't want people think I try to be this way.

I get frustrated with the complex way I approach things at times. This is just who I am and I hope it doesn't annoy them/affect our friendship. They tell me on the contrary it is the thing they like the most about me. I don't know why I have this self-annoyed attitude towards myself sometimes... I guess sometimes it seems things would be easier if I wasn't so weird.

ring the bell

I'm really glad you made this thread. I've been struggling with figuring out my "type" for a long time. It's not as easy a thing as people would have you believe... but through talking to other people and getting their perspectives on my personality, I'm seeing a few different angles. I've been playing around with the INFJ as well.. I'm a 4w5, though the order of strengths in scores were 4 then 9 with much lower 5. So, maybe you are on to something. I'm going to play attention to this thread!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also I read somewhere on a website (I can't find it, it's driving me crazy!) That sometimes INFJs don't always go for a lot of physical-ness in a relationship. Let me clarify. This might be me being weird... but sometimes even if I am with some I love/like (romantically) I might not always want to touch them/hug...or have lot of physical contact. I love having spiritual/mind melding without physical closeness sometimes. I may be enjoying them very much at the time but they will start to think I don't like them. I guy I was involved with for many months and who I really liked kept being unsure of whether I liked him. He's an ENTP so I had to really prod him for an answer. He kept saying "No it's stupid." ...eventually conceding to admit it was my BODY LANGUAGE! I was so confused! He said the way I handled my body made it seem like I didn't like him. I have no idea how or why I do this/why he sees it this way. This has happened with every guy who has liked me. Even when I like a guy they stay I still do it. Not all the time. Sometimes I will be cuddly, but then the next time we are together I won't be. It's just who I am. I'm not doing it on purpose. This ENTP is endlessly perplexed and interested in investigating my depths. He says he feels like he grasps most of me but there is always an elusive part. Undefined. It drives people mad! It never turns people off though. More broadly my other good friends (both male and female) say the same thing. The most common types to say this are ENFPs, ENTPs, ENFJs, and ENTJs. I don't know about introverted types but I feel like maybe they get it more...or they don't voice their confusion.
I always stress I don't do this on purpose! All of them say they never thought I did but I don't want people think I try to be this way.

I get frustrated with the complex way I approach things at times. This is just who I am and I hope it doesn't annoy them/affect our friendship. They tell me on the contrary it is the thing they like the most about me. I don't know why I have this self-annoyed attitude towards myself sometimes... I guess sometimes it seems things would be easier if I wasn't so weird.

hmm. interesting about the sex/physical stuff. i am a huggy/affectionate person myself. but i am all about the F and you are more T, so i bet that's where the diff comes in. ? however. i notice that my [perpetually randy] istp husband usually lets me lead in whether we have sex or not [which i perpetually tire of--initiating, that is]. he does this i think because i have an energy about me that he picks up on, but of which i am unaware, that i might not be approachable for sex. since he's always pretty much game, the overture falls to me. i guess if i think about it, if something 'new' is on my mind, or i've been pondering something, it is hard to get out of my head and into my body, and i don't really welcome that. but for the most part, i do it anyway because i think sex is such an important part of relationships, and i'm usually always glad i did......:tongue:

for the part about entxs and feeling like you are too deep to understand, i never had the experience with anyone saying that, that i can think of off the top of my head......but perhaps. i know this eNTJ guy that i've always felt immense energy with, because we just are both really intuitive and he's just basically HOT too...haha, but i can talk with him for hours pretty much. and i wonder what sex would be like with him. however, the more i get to know him, the less i want to know him, for whatever reason. he seems to really understand me, but if he didn't, i'm not sure he would say. my girlfriends mostly look to me to be their confidante and therefore our relationship is skewed a bit away from me toward them, so i wouldn't expect them to fully understand me, except for one who says i am the most stubborn person she knows. :) another one, my salvation whom i suspect is also infj, gets me mostly, but even she will say things in email or make suggestions that are still not accurate. but my friends don't really say outright, "i don't really understand you," or "i find you to be an enigma." maybe because they are mostly sps? the facebook 'how well do you know your friends' little quiz i made was bombed by everyone who knows me. my husband did the best at 72%, if that says anything. finally, my istp husband just doesn't think that way, and only says, "i don't understand you anymore" when we are having a fight over some principle or major issue. but he actually does know me, better than i know myself. i'm not sure why......another thing to ponder. i think because he can see me below or around or through my intuitive way of being with his Ti/Se. i also have felt that i can 'get' istps in some flip-floppy infj/istp sort-of way, although perhaps i am just fooling myself.

i am the epitome of weird. it's nice to have company. :)

Nyx

Depression

Despair, like a millstone, can drag people into immobility. They can't work. They can't take care of themselves. They can't take care of others. Once productive pursuit is eliminated, inactivity lets the mind chew on itself, viewing and reviewing an expanding repertory of lousy feelings. As people who have been seriously depressed know, this spiraling descent into hopelessness is powerfully destructive. It can be fatal. It's the worst and most terrifying enemy most of us ever have to encounter. And because the enemy is invisible, yet entirely encompassing, it is difficult to resist or combat.

Labeling hopelessness as the enemy is the first counteroffensive. This can give people distance from depression, because "it" then has an identity. They can come to distinguish the sentiments of despair as they occur. Once it is recognizable, hopelessness is not so pervasive; it has its own boundaries like a separate country.

Then, patients must engage hopelessness in a battle as if it were Satan himself. It's a war, not a skirmish. They can, either on their own or with professional help, develop a combat strategy and start implementing its tactics. The short-term tactic is distraction, to force thoughts away from succumbing to the lethal hopelessness. Effective distractions are different for everyone. One person must get outside. Another should read. Exercise. Meditate. There are many options, but activity is essential. Get out that calendar and jam it with pursuits.

The force of hopelessness will attempt to bleed enthusiasm from these distractions and there is a tendency to trivialize their worth. But distractions, by their very nature, have the ability to focus the mind elsewhere, even demand that it go elsewhere. And these short-term approaches may naturally suggest another more challenging involvement that will, if cultivated, grow into passion. Passion is the all-encompassing opposite of hopelessness.

Think Like a Shrink, by Emanuel H. Rosen, M.D.

Jung said, "A depression is a blessing of God. I mean, in the individual it's the greatest blessing somebody can have." Jung always talked about the blessing of a neurosis because it's the only way you are tempted to look within.

That describes exactly why I mistyped myself. I thought I was a P based on the superficial fact that I wasn't doing anything. I saw "spontaneous, don't like schedules/planning" as synonymous for they don't get anything done. I realized that makes no sense because all of my P friends get things done, and then some. They live their lives competently. They just do it differently than I need to do it. My life had stagnated and was on a steady downward spiral for a few years until very recently. I let my mind chew itself way too long. I started to climb out of this hole through introspection (but not that crazy/depressed kind, obviously). My over active Ni-Ti loop thing was causing me to have perpetual, sometimes subtle, existential crises. Once I started to realize all these things, I was able to start climbing out of this.

I was in an emotional hole so deep that I didn't realize I desperately need structure to function. That quote about depression is entirely true and how I felt. I think this was caused by trauma during childhood that went long unacknowledged by my parents (still is). It was so long ago that I thought it would be ridiculous if it was still affecting me. The thing about it is, it is invisible and if you live with it for so long, you don't even realize it. You just think it's who you are.

I distinctly remembered when this happened. I was the quintessential INFJ child. Kind, warm, though shy and imaginative which lead me to be a bit of a loner. Around 13 years old when this trauma occurred everything started to slip. I went from being a conscientious, happy, straight A student in gifted classes to gradually letting my grades slip so far that by the time I was a junior in high school, I was failing every class. I then gradually stopped going to school, not being able to bare the thought of having to get out of bed to go there. I became cynical and pessimistic. I dropped out in my junior year. None of my teachers could understand what was up with me. I had meetings with all of them before I made the final the decision to leave and they all said something to the effect :"You are brilliant and your contributions in class insightful and original...but you don't do your homework. You don't do anything. You don't seem to care at all." And I didn't care. I was always ahead of my classes intellectually, but that did not translate to me actually being productive about anything. I was stewing in my own analytical juices, driving myself mad.

For several years I was in a horrible rut. I spent most of my days at home alone, usually learning/reading something. Something I always had was my love of learning. I still kept contact with a several good friends which kept me from really seeing my problem, but also kept me sane.

Until very recently I didn't realize how bad my situation was, but simply by realizing this I'm turning it around. The key as stated above is activity in the beginning. I've been drawing a lot which really helps me keep my mind occupied, but not in an overly analytical way. I have been actively pursuing art as it engages the functions that keep me sane and tones down the Ti a lot. I need to tone it down and increase my Fe a bit.

I love my mind but realize it has cursed me with the burden of knowledge. The overwhelming complexity (that's the NiTi at work) is sometimes to much to bear.

The part I bolded is the so true and so comforting. I am thankful for this revelation of what is important in life and who I am. Myers Briggs typing actually helped a bit with this...I did not expect it to...

This is weird but just as I typed that the sky seemed finish these thoughts the sky just exploded with rain.

Does anyone ever find the weather mirrors your mood? I know I'm being a little too mystical... :rolli:

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx

My cognitive processes were as follows on that website : Ni, Ti, Fe, Fi, Ne, Se, Si, Te

Edit: I forgot to include Ne as my fifth function!

oh, what an adventure typing can be!

again, thanks for the feedback.

i've read plenty of descriptions of both INFJ and INFP types, and i've never felt conclusively swayed toward one more than the other. i'm not as self-absorbed or flaky as the infp and not as strict or neurotic as the infj.

anyway, according to the same test you took, i use Ni most. it typed me as INFJ as well.

Ne and Fe were tied for second, which is a little disheartening in my search for a solid type.

the full sequence of functions was: Ni , Ne = Fe , Ti = Fi , Te , Si , Se

since i'm curious and it had been a while since i had self-assessed, i went on similarminds and took a Jung test.

Introverted (I) 66.67% Extroverted (E) 33.33%
Intuitive (N) 75% Sensing (S) 25%
Feeling (F) 54.17% Thinking (T) 45.83%
Perceiving (P) 50% Judging (J) 50%

50/50 on J and P?! it still guessed INFJ, though, maybe because my T/F matrix showed little partiality. hm.

well, since that didn't give me anything too conclusive, i went on to a big 5/sloan test and got the following:

Extroversion 34%
Orderliness 44%
Emotional Stability 52%
Accommodation 55%
Inquisitiveness 64%
rcoA|I| , RCUAI

while i was at it i also gave an enneagram test a try.

Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 54%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 50%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||| 44%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 30%

not sure what to make of all of this. if anyone else does, i'm open to hear it.

Nyx

oh, what an adventure typing can be!

again, thanks for the feedback.

i've read plenty of descriptions of both INFJ and INFP types, and i've never felt conclusively swayed toward one more than the other. i'm not as self-absorbed or flaky as the infp and not as strict or neurotic as the infj.

anyway, according to the same test you took, i use Ni most. it typed me as INFJ as well.

Ne and Fe were tied for second, which is a little disheartening in my search for a solid type.

the full sequence of functions was: Ni , Ne = Fe , Ti = Fi , Te , Si , Se

since i'm curious and it had been a while since i had self-assessed, i went on similarminds and took a Jung test.

Introverted (I) 66.67% Extroverted (E) 33.33%
Intuitive (N) 75% Sensing (S) 25%
Feeling (F) 54.17% Thinking (T) 45.83%
Perceiving (P) 50% Judging (J) 50%

50/50 on J and P?! it still guessed INFJ, though, maybe because my T/F matrix showed little partiality. hm.

well, since that didn't give me anything too conclusive, i went on to a big 5/sloan test and got the following:

Extroversion 34%
Orderliness 44%
Emotional Stability 52%
Accommodation 55%
Inquisitiveness 64%
rcoA|I| , RCUAI

while i was at it i also gave an enneagram test a try.

Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 54%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 50%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||| 44%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 30%

not sure what to make of all of this. if anyone else does, i'm open to hear it.
You're quite welcome. Glad to help how I can.

Ok so you're 50/50 on J and P...that is frustrating... maybe think about this, it seems to be a good indicator of either J or P...

Are you Chart-the-Course interaction style, more specifically a Foreseer Developer(INFJ)
Chart-the-Course
or
Behind-the-Scenes , more specically a Harmonizer Clarifier (INFP)?
Behind-the-Scenes

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
again i relate a lot to both, but more to the behind-the-scenes, infp description, i guess.

thanks for the link..it's kind of getting me into 'too many thoughts at once' mode, but it's just the catalyst and not the root, of course..

i hope my self-probing (oh, grow up!) is at least interesting for some confused INFx's to read. feels awkward taking up so much forum space for this purpose otherwise. :doh:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been analyzing the Myers Briggs system for a while. I initially tested as an INTP many times. The profiles never quite fit me in a few ways. The only thing I had in common with INTPs was my love of learning/analyzing pretty much everything. I then realized that I was an F. Possibly, I thought, I was an INFP. I read the descriptions of INFPs and it fit better, in regards for being more romantic, etc...however, it still didn't fit quite well. By chance I was reading an INFJ profile and I noticed their functions were as follows:

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxilliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

For the INTP, the dominant function is Introverted Thinking.

I know myself well enough to know this is not true of me. I definitely use my Introverted Intuitive function the most. After that comes Fe. This was the hard part for me to understand. I might have been in denial or not fully aware of it. I thought I was a thinking type because I like to learn and I have a tendency to be intellectual. For a while I equated Fe with being irrational and even not as intelligent. However, I realized that I value empathy and compassion over justice, etc. Whenever I get extremely upset, it was always over the state of the world in regards to how people or treated unfairly and how it did not make sense, or how I felt purposeless and without meaning or identity. I definitely know I am not Fi (ruling out INFP) because I cannot relate to that mind set. I also noticed most INFPs I know, I get along with to a certain point, but there is a weird tension between us. We get each other but function differently. I may be able to be intellectual but at the core I cannot grapple with this sense of having no meaning or identity. It shatters my life. I also talked to my truly NT friends and realized the way they process things is different. Although I know they have emotions, they seem cold to me at times because of their very logical nature. I don't quite understand that mentality of predominately thinking logically in order to living happy and healthily. I am not inherently logical and look more to how I feel about things and my place in the world. I am constantly asking "What is my purpose?" and look for ways to derive meaning and value from things as well as understand them in that context. I am open to emotions. NTs shut down when prodded and seek to rationalize or ignore emotions in order to do whatever it is they need to do. I fundamentally cannot do this. I did however come to understand I use my Thinking function as a defense mechanism against feeling when mentally unhealthy.

It was easy for me to come to terms with being an INFX. I could not decide whether I was a P or a J. I realized that as a child I was most definitely a J. As I grew older I had a few traumatic experiences which stopped me in my tracks and perhaps under this stress I shut down. On the outside it would appear I was a strong P. As I have gotten older and overcome these issues my J has come out more. I think because I am now mentally healthy my type seems more obvious. I have read in more than one place though, that for INFJs, external organization will not equal internal organization. This is what I highly identified with. My "inner world" is very organized. I set goals for what I want to do and will spend a lot of time laying out a plan and milestones for the long term goal (usually in my head... though I have scraps of paper with scribblely plans on them lying around) I do adhere to this. Before I do something I like to know what I'm getting into which I didn't notice about myself initially. I always ask something like "And what will that entail?" "How long will it be?" etc... When confronted with something so I can make a decision about it easily and quickly. Once I decide though I am comfortable with it. I hate not having a plan/idea of what I will be doing. I am uncomfortable when things are open or undefined in a literal sense. (especially in regards to goals or relationships) I want to be able to categorize things and put them into the larger frame work so it all fits together because this is the only way the things I want will work out. If I did not do this nothing would get done and I would be in a rut. When emotionally traumatized I shut down in this way. Self-sabotage I suppose.
this sums it up well especially the constant redefining priorities to get things done:

as a side note my Socionics type is INFp which is equal to a Myers Briggs INFJ...or so I have heard. I have always tested as this. I also always test as a Enneagram 4w5. I remembered reading somewhere that INFJs are most commnly 4s...I have no idea how true this is.

also I am shamelessly attracted to ENTPs, what I consider my perfect type for a partner. We are both Ns which is essential. We can communicate. But all the other functions complement each other, like a puzzle piece. To me it seem they would be an ideal match for an INFJ.

I will say this is the first time I really felt like a Myers Briggs typed described me in the best way. These websites really confirmed my thoughts and helped me understand this better.

INFJ Handbook

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Ok, I am extremely sick of talking about myself. Sorry that was long but I am actually primarily interested if anyone else has mistyped themselves like this or had a similar experience, thus the lengthy discussion. Why do you think this confusion happens?

A friend of mine who self-identified as INFJ but used to get INTP or INTJ on tests made the switch to Socionics and has realised she's definitely an LII (Ti Ne) in the system rather than IEI (Ni Fe).

Which of these profiles sound more like you?

http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/types/LII-INTj/
http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/types/IEI-INFp/