• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJ mistyped as INTP?

jana

I have been analyzing the Myers Briggs system for a while. I initially tested as an INTP many times. The profiles never quite fit me in a few ways. The only thing I had in common with INTPs was my love of learning/analyzing pretty much everything. I then realized that I was an F. Possibly, I thought, I was an INFP. I read the descriptions of INFPs and it fit better, in regards for being more romantic, etc...however, it still didn't fit quite well. By chance I was reading an INFJ profile and I noticed their functions were as follows:

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxilliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

For the INTP, the dominant function is Introverted Thinking.

I know myself well enough to know this is not true of me. I definitely use my Introverted Intuitive function the most. After that comes Fe. This was the hard part for me to understand. I might have been in denial or not fully aware of it. I thought I was a thinking type because I like to learn and I have a tendency to be intellectual. For a while I equated Fe with being irrational and even not as intelligent. However, I realized that I value empathy and compassion over justice, etc. Whenever I get extremely upset, it was always over the state of the world in regards to how people or treated unfairly and how it did not make sense, or how I felt purposeless and without meaning or identity. I definitely know I am not Fi (ruling out INFP) because I cannot relate to that mind set. I also noticed most INFPs I know, I get along with to a certain point, but there is a weird tension between us. We get each other but function differently. I may be able to be intellectual but at the core I cannot grapple with this sense of having no meaning or identity. It shatters my life. I also talked to my truly NT friends and realized the way they process things is different. Although I know they have emotions, they seem cold to me at times because of their very logical nature. I don't quite understand that mentality of predominately thinking logically in order to living happy and healthily. I am not inherently logical and look more to how I feel about things and my place in the world. I am constantly asking "What is my purpose?" and look for ways to derive meaning and value from things as well as understand them in that context. I am open to emotions. NTs shut down when prodded and seek to rationalize or ignore emotions in order to do whatever it is they need to do. I fundamentally cannot do this. I did however come to understand I use my Thinking function as a defense mechanism against feeling when mentally unhealthy.

Ok, I am extremely sick of talking about myself. Sorry that was long but I am actually primarily interested if anyone else has mistyped themselves like this or had a similar experience, thus the lengthy discussion. Why do you think this confusion happens?

I could have written most of this myself. I have tested INTP and INFP, yet neither type fits well at all. Like you, I came to realize that I use my Thinking function as a defense mechanism against feeling. I had a big aha moment when i started reading about Ni-Ti loops, because I have definitely been there.

Empyrean

I could have written most of this myself. I have tested INTP and INFP, yet neither type fits well at all. Like you, I came to realize that I use my Thinking function as a defense mechanism against feeling. I had a big aha moment when i started reading about Ni-Ti loops, because I have definitely been there.

Yeah, there's something deeply touching about Nyx's words.

I am typically not empathetic more than I am sympathetic, as is common for INFJs.

But having been in a similar place, I can feel the pain and discomfort. It is truly an uncomfortable, dark, and hellish place.