• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] The ENFP Te Demand

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Exactly.

But that's CREEPY, isn't it?

What kind of ENFP consciously wants to take over the world?

Not me.

I'd actually give it a try :).

I think healthy ENFP idealism would be driven by Dominant Ne/Auxilliary Fi -- motivating, encouraging, and inspiring people to see the possibilities of human progress.

It wouldn't be run by Dominant Ne/Tertiary Te -- coercing and manipulating people and systems in order to ensure that humans progress.

I'd agree that an ENFP would be happiest as a motivator, but at the same time there is that endless pushing the limits and wanting to understand.

Why would an open thinking Ne type do anything like a dominant Te type? Te is Ne's bitch. It's there to help you see the systems in order, optimise, communicate clearly, etc. Under Ne and Fi it isn't really going to say, everyone change and do this so the world works better, because Ne Fi screams be yourself, do your part as you, find the real you, be fulfilled, and we'll all be happy. We could move to be more Ne Te, but the decisiveness of Ni and Si are still going to feel unattractive.

Any ENFP who thinks they are using Te really effectively should ask someone they trust to give their honest opinion.

The trusted friend will probably say it isn't working as well as the ENFP thinks it is.

Besides, if you are making good decisions and working well with others, that is your Ne and Fi working well together.

Why would you credit Te with that????

If you look at a functions test, I use almost all of the Ne and Fi points as a regular part of life. I use 75% of the Te points as a regular part of life. I use 60% of the Ti points as a regular part of life. Obviously I don't use all of those functions, and those functions aren't my primary group of traits. But when it comes to grouping traits into two letter combos, I use many of the traits in these two letter combos regularly. The fact some guy called Jung decided to group these traits into sections, and noticed some people are more complete in some sections has not much to do with it. I still exhibit these traits quite strongly.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Please feel free to comment/respond to the criticism of your statements with the like. I look forward to hearing where I may have misunderstood your statements quoted above or missed something you said.

Could you respond to the criticism of the statements with better evidence/more compelling arguments? I'd like to understand these well founded arguments, as you contend, better.

No thanks.

I'm not interested in a formal debate.

I'm interested in sharing my perspective, and I'm OK with the fact that you disagree.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
A propos of no one's post in particular and everyone's:

Te for manipulating people? Te's crap for that. It views people as objects within a non-personal system, surely. Te more properly moves the environment around the people, taking the people as semi-fixed points. Obviously it isn't as simple as that--like yesterday when I was making timetable arrangements and I asked a guy, "You're sure you don't want to go up from 14 hours to 18?"--however it sort of is as simple as that if there's strong Fi overseeing the program, the people don't get pushed too far.

Te will try to jolly people along, but the goal is some external impersonal thing: good timetables, effective mechanical processes, impersonal productivity.

Sez an INTJ.

I completely agree - a dispassionate goal. Having said that, the taking into account other people's well-being is really more Fe than Fi, in my opinion.

And he goes on to hypothesize:

In an ENFP, Te is presumably still about instantiation of personless goals, but perhaps with a far bigger emphasis on the person as the basic point to be respected, around which the personless goals will rotate.

Example? Personless goals from your example above make sense in terms of efficiency in most cases. Isn't this what I was saying as well? Fi makes the decision about where to invest Te.

The wrinkle in this system is the Te is tertiary, less conscious, more reactive, tending toward the childishly cranky or delighted. So you get The Champion. The simplicity of beliefs like "the world will be changed to attend to the interests of these particular mishandled and downtrodden persons I found!" sounds like a Tertiary Te Demand.

But that's archetypes. On the large stage, the simplicity makes The Champion. On the smaller stage, in daily life, at work, meeting people who aren't downtrodden so much... beats me, I don't know enough ENFPs that well.

I think this is really simplistic. It assumes a tertiary, less-developed function across the board for ENFPs. This is what some of us who clearly identify as ENFPs but also find Te to be a natural function to rely on are finding inconsistent with our experience. Doesn't the above suggest that we are all given this particular order of functions in spite of our vastly different experience and different levels of working on/developing individual functions. I find that difficult to believe. Te for some of us does not feel like a weak/less-developed function. I find, in my case, as in Ne-monster's is actually as well or better developed than Fi.

An example from my own experience using Ne/Fi/Te successfully where Te is carrying the load. I am a teacher by profession. A quick skim through papers gives me a rather good idea of the quality of paper the student has written. Fi wants to reward students who have worked harder and those who were engaged in the classroom. Fi also thinks being fair is a really important personal value. Te is engaged to ensure that a straightforward rubric is applied equally across all papers for fairness, a goal Fi prioritized Te is needed to apply.

The version you presented may work for a younger ENFP or one who hasn't worked on Te for a variety of reasons. For those of us who have, this is not reflective of our experience.

Many enfps I see seem to have this jarred transition. We are not masking or hiding what we mean via Fe in any way, so we just flip from Fi to Te. It can make us seem very sweet, very fluffy, then wham, bitch. The men have an easier time than girls-societal I think. I have found lately I do better if I just wear a Te mask more consistantly. Then there is no expectation of kindness. However I have a VP and several upper level managers in strategic marketing that are ENFPs and do exactly this-it may give them an edge-the unpredictability.

And Te can be brutal yet fun in a debate. Ti in entps has a cutting witty precision, Te just punches you straight in the nose-blunt style :)

I completely relate.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I always try to be pretty thorough before jumping into a developed thread...but I skimmed about the preceding half...so apologies if I am missing some info already covered.

Wonka - I think your thesis works pretty well when working on the assumption that tertiary function is working in phychosis. But I feel I have an ENFP friend who uses Te in a pretty healthy way, and I think I am able to use Fi in a pretty healthy way...that is, I use Fi to function as a moral compass for my Ni/Te constructs.

Just because I come up with a perceived order of the universe that functions efficiently and makes sense to me, if it violates a moral law higher than myself, it must be rejected or modified (that higher law may not make sense to me). Fi also informs me that a person/people who may not do things efficiently or logically may be the "best" person for the job because they are on the "right" side or are "called" to that position of authority.

I also see instances where my Fi emotional outburst can be counterproductive or crippling (that tertiary awkwardness), but I still find Fi a positive balance to my Ni/Te, in general. Contrary to your thesis, I find it very helpful to work on developing my tertiary Fi--or at least give it a place of honor in my toolbox.

is their a list somewhere of all the functions and how they work as teritiary functions?

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
A word on using Te:

IMHO the only people who use it straight up, right off the bat are EXTJs. For me, when I consciously use Te, it's as a workhorse for Ni. The intuition comes first and then Te builds a case. Of course, it not at all as simple as that because my intuition--to use a shorthand expression--"knows" it is producing stuff that Te will go to work on. In that sense my Ni is unlike INFJ Ni: the focus is different. So I'd say in general it's misleading to speak of using Te as if it works in isolation. In ENFPs I'd be guessing that Ne does whole a lot of the "using Te" work. Exactly what that means, I don't know, for I don't have a good conception of what Ne is for the user.

Fine. I'll buy the not using Te is isolation but Ne cannot do the work of Te. Ne is great for making connections, drawing webs but does not do this in a logical manner or with structure. That is Te's domain. Ne cannot substitute for Te.

I just spent a week with an ENTJ friend and saw many similarities in the way we think and work towards efficiency. It is completely about categorizing, compartmentalizing, structuring arguments to best highlight logical links and missing pieces -- Ne does not do this. Ne is not concerned with efficiency or logical links.

Ne/Fi/Te may be working together but there are certainly circumstances where Fi is toned down and Te is allowed to take over. This is needed in the workplace. Why would this not be possible?

A word on using off-reservation functions:

There's a reason they're called shadow functions, and a reason they tend to have pejorative titles like opposing, critical parent, deceiver, devil. It's a model-theoretic reason, but still a reason: the shadow functions do things that our normal preferences can't, so they're deployed when we're not doing what we like best. They're used for stuff we'd rather not do!

They are called shadow functions but the model in which they are presented as such is a limited one that does not apply perfectly to all individuals. Using it as such has limited generalizability.

The above presents basic tendencies in the type, these are not hard and fast orders of functions or necessarily indicative of our skill levels in using these within a type. There is going to be a fair bit of variation in the levels of development of each of these functions, on or off reservation. We are, after all, also products of our varied environments.

That's why I like the idea of saying we don't actually use the shadows that much. For cognitive comfort if we can get away with using our preferred functions to mimic the shadows, or produce an effect that satisfied the situation anyway, then we'd do that before we walked on the dark side of the street.

This is not reflective of our experience. This also not a compelling argument because you can't just use your preferred functions to mimic any others. They serve different purposes. How would Ne/Fi work to mimic Te. It can't especially not at the level at which those of us using it are contending we do - for high level analysis in the workplace.

The implication of it being the dark side is contentious as well. For some of us, Te feels like a natural tool that we use and gladly, not one that is used to do things we don't want to. Differing levels of development across functions provide a much better explanation of the variation we see within types in spite of the presented order of preferred functions rather than sticking so closely to the idea of preferred ones being not only well-developed but the less preferred ones according to the list being weak and childlike in appearance.

I don't know if there's a real distinction to be made between using, say, Fe and using Ne/Fi/Te to mimic Fe, but it seems to make more sense than saying, O hai, I'm a big time Fi person, but I'll toss that aside for the moment and love you up Fe stylee.

Again, How is Ne/Fi/Te used to mimic Fe? These have completely different utililities. Now Fi (internal structuring of values) and Te (external structure) is used to care for other people's well-being? Why can't one develop an off-reservation function to be used for a value Fi identifies as important. I could identify being treated fairly and treating others fairly as an important personal value using Fe. Having said that, it is Fe that considers others feelings and well-being. Fi cannot mimic that - it can only prioritize it as important. There is a difference. I've contended that Fe is actually harder for those of us who are Fi users but am not convinced that it is a function that can't be developed much like the others.

A word on the When ENFPs Change Gears:

Yep, I've seen that, the switch from fluffy Ne/Fi to hardstyle Ne/Te processing. It is disorienting when you're not ready for it, suddenly you're talking to someone a lot smarter than you'd figured.

Soooo, what's up with that? The Te was there all along but you were letting it simmer in the background?

There's something to that, the idea that the Te was there all along.

Sitting there in the background, it was. But...

What was it really up to?

:angry:

The idea that Ne/Fi is fluffy and Ne/Te is smart is very flawed to begin with. One's style of presentation has little to do with the quality of the ideas presented. Te is always there and some of us do make a conscious choice to engage in it areas where it would be appropriate. Our preference, in the personal sphere, is to stick with Ne/Fi and in areas where we know this is inadequate, to bring in Te and let it dominate in what it does best.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No thanks.

I'm not interested in a formal debate.

I'm interested in sharing my perspective, and I'm OK with the fact that you disagree.

Suit yourself. Just presenting the perspective without addressing the questions raised is just less useful for our collective learning, in my opinion. That was always the goal.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm an ENFP, and I refuse to bullshit people.

Advice for non-ENFPs:

ENFPs in Ne/Te attack mode are cruel and unsparing in their judgements---which is totally out-of-character--- so the long term effects are bad for everyone concerned--including the ENFP.

Under stress, or in the heat of an argument, or even in what starts as a "friendly debate", an ENFP can be very tempted to go into "Hyper-Logical Mode."

This is "Tertiary Temptation."

This would be ignoring Fi and going full-on Ne/Te.

They would lose all sense of proportion, ethics, fairness, decency, respect, and human compassion.

They would focus intensely on the other person's every move, and even anticipate most of them in advance--making the other person feel trapped and completely helpless.

They would be extremely logical, but would not spare the other person's feelings.

They would become, essentially, a cruel and heartless machine, programmed to destroy their opponent at all costs.

They would identify the person's weaknesses with almost inhuman precision, and exploit them ruthlessly, while feeling completely justified.

They would hurt the other person deeply, and they would most likely regret it later.

ENFPs often think they have Te under control, but unless they are well into middle age, they are probably mistaken.

Combined with Ne, and without sufficient development of Fi, their underdeveloped Te is extremely dangerous.

Maybe you have witnessed this behavior.

And if you're an ENFP, it would benefit you to be aware of this tendency.

Moral of the story: Don't fuck with an ENFP.

Treat them with respect, and you will have the best friend in the world.

Bullshit them or insult them, and you will probably have Hell to pay.

And beware of an ENFP who invites you to a "friendly debate."

They are most likely unaware of their own destructive potential.

This is the way I SEE IT--and I refuse to debate it.

Comment all you want, but I will probably not respond.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm an ENFP, and I refuse to bullshit people.

:rofl1:

They would lose all sense of proportion, ethics, fairness, decency, respect, and human compassion.

Personal attacks are truly unbecoming on an ENFP. The moral of the story being that charity starts at home.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Essentially, Kalach is right.

The O.P. was spot on.

The Te Demand in ENFPs is not really a very positive thing.

It needs to be kept in check by Fi.

I guess there are a lot of differing opinions on this, but I think this is an interesting thread.

Nice one, Kalach. :)

sculpting

The most annoying thing about ENFPs is that we can be way fucking presumptious.

Especially ENFPs who dont realize they are using Te.

It sneaks into thier words, thier thoughts and gives them a certainty, an assurance that the perspective they have is utterly correct. They have no idea how concrete and certain they sound.

So when everyone else can see through the argument and recognize the lack of logic, the lack of clarity, and the lack of incorporation of new data into the model under discussion, it just comes across as annoying.

As my ENTP says-Just because an ENFP says the same thing 20 times in a row, that doesnt mean it is correct.

Wonka I can see your Te showing.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Tertiary Te (ExFP): "Unfair!! I have to stick to my guns, I will not be bullied or cheated. Any number of authorities agree with me. All my friends agree with me. Everyone can see that my response is directly mandated by the situation: anything else would be irresponsible. These facts absolutely settle the matter, and there is no point in looking at it any further."

The Secondary Function (Fi) would say: "Fair or not, reasonable or not, recognized by anyone or not, what would truly accomplish some good here?"

Wow, that sounds exactly like how things go in my head> first the Te kicks in, furious and righteous as above, but then when I calm down, or Te it all out of my system my Fi kicks in, and forgives and tried to find a balance, even though it's only managable by squishing the first reaction, even though the first reaction is the one that should be sustained because sometimes Fi is too wimpy and lets the world walk all over you.

Truthfully as I have aged more I am able to sutain the first reaction for longer, and I am more able to squish the Fi that wants to change that reaction to something more accomodating, I feel the pull and tug between the two functions and still can not see how to make them work well together.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
For me Te helps to organize my random and wild Ne thoughts.
It helps me to organize thing in my head mainly, I'm not so willing to organize actual things in real life....

Te helps with when writing too. It helps me to categorize and form groups, it helps me to multitask and to manage different things at the same time because I have different "boxes" of different things related to each other in my memory. So, I classify my memory with Te.

When speaking, my Ne rules and Te is pretty weak and thus not helping me to talk very shortly and clearlly. Only when I'm really concentrating, I can use Te in my spoken communication and of course i can use it when I have prepared a speach or when I'm prepared of anything. usually I am not prepared....

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fine. I'll buy the not using Te is isolation but Ne cannot do the work of Te. Ne is great for making connections, drawing webs but does not do this in a logical manner or with structure. That is Te's domain. Ne cannot substitute for Te.

Nor can Ni, but intuition of any kind can only be a gigantic splatter of undifferentiated totality if it were to exist in isolation. Something other than intuition must be involved if intuition is to do anything at all other than "Gaaaahh Blergh!"

Stereotypically for ENFPs it's Fi that hones the intuition, pointing it at a subject matter. And this is further, indeed in tandem, honed by Te structures. (And Si.) Thus while someone with tertiary Te could probably focus hard and be the Te, it seems sort of reasonable to say that the dominant process, already by a lifetime of coexistence shaped into a significant partner to the Te, is in there tossing up things the Te can use.

The frequently posited "Ooo, a butterfly" effect supposedly characterising Ne doms probably gets used to good effect in Te situations. Like, focused argument isn't so much interrupted by butterflies as it is by suddenly discovered important connections, and boom, Ne is doing Te work.

Ne/Fi/Te may be working together but there are certainly circumstances where Fi is toned down and Te is allowed to take over. This is needed in the workplace. Why would this not be possible?

Totally possible. Probably guaranteed.

They are called shadow functions but the model in which they are presented as such is a limited one that does not apply perfectly to all individuals. Using it as such has limited generalizability.

Such an ENFP answer. What, you mean people are worthy of respect ahead of theoretical models that describe people?! You mean possibility is more relevant to understanding than certainty?! Asserting that these things are true and governing principles of what the world really is, why, that's an ENFP Te Demand.

(As compelled by Fi, so it is the benign Te Demand. There may be others.)

This is not reflective of our experience. This also not a compelling argument because you can't just use your preferred functions to mimic any others. They serve different purposes. How would Ne/Fi work to mimic Te.

It wouldn't. But Ne/Fi/Te might could maybe possibly mimic Fe. Or, it could provide some alternative that approximates what another person's Fe required of you at that time. Maybe.

How? I dunno. It's just an intuition based on my sense that using non-preferred functions is unpleasant to the point of the user feeling destabilised and untrue. (More below.)

The implication of it being the dark side is contentious as well. For some of us, Te feels like a natural tool that we use and gladly, not one that is used to do things we don't want to.

The idea of dark side is that the lower functions are more reactive than proactive. They, at various stages of development, hold more sway over the user than the user holds over them. Which is hardly to say that the user can't become more competent.

Differing levels of development across functions provide a much better explanation of the variation we see within types in spite of the presented order of preferred functions rather than sticking so closely to the idea of preferred ones being not only well-developed but the less preferred ones according to the list being weak and childlike in appearance.

A pleasant and model-theoretically religious rebuttal lies in observing that even the less preferred functions have friends: the dominant and auxiliary functions help them to work.

Again, How is Ne/Fi/Te used to mimic Fe? These have completely different utililities. Now Fi (internal structuring of values) and Te (external structure) is used to care for other people's well-being? Why can't one develop an off-reservation function to be used for a value Fi identifies as important. I could identify being treated fairly and treating others fairly as an important personal value using Fe. Having said that, it is Fe that considers others feelings and well-being. Fi cannot mimic that - it can only prioritize it as important.

Yeah, and then Ne's keeping a watchful eye on what's going on right now, seeing what'll happen and what it means, and Te's tossing some things in about how to organise the nearby world with that information and those values in mind. I daresay an Fe user interacting with the ENFP wouldn't be consistently fooled, but they might be satisfied for a while.

The idea that Ne/Fi is fluffy and Ne/Te is smart is very flawed to begin with. One's style of presentation has little to do with the quality of the ideas presented. Te is always there and some of us do make a conscious choice to engage in it areas where it would be appropriate. Our preference, in the personal sphere, is to stick with Ne/Fi and in areas where we know this is inadequate, to bring in Te and let it dominate in what it does best.

Rock on! It's Doc Wonk on the ENFP Crimes Committed Under the Influence of Te Commission, not me. Well, not yet anyway, but I might be because...

The O.P. was spot on.

The Te Demand in ENFPs is not really a very positive thing.

It needs to be kept in check by Fi.

The original idea was that aside from tertiary demands being double-edged swords, and aside from people actually, and as normal, getting good at tertiary functioning, there is a subpart of the tertiary temptation idea, something about how tertiary functions create focus. Just like auxiliaries create focus, the tertiaries shape and dictate too, but perhaps less consciously. This is different from people consciously and actively seeking to use their tertiary function. It's more about background expectations built in to how individuals function.

Man, all that was so point-by-point you'd think I were using Ti.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As my ENTP says-Just because an ENFP says the same thing 20 times in a row, that doesnt mean it is correct.

Wonka I can see your Te showing.

In the heat of an argument I have said the exact same thing to my grandparents about rules and interpretation. They were instistant on being right and I knew that they were "reading into the rules of a game" so the argument path I took was to show the other side of how it read which is verbatim word for word.

My grandmas argument was that it makes it to easy, my response was that no matter how easy or hard it makes the game doesnt mean you are correct. This is not my normal way of responding, but they became insistant and I was backing up my mom and my wife. They both did something that my grandparents deemed against the rules and my wife called me in for backup.

My grandfather kept getting louder and repeating himself. I responded to him no matter how loud he gets or how many times he repeats himself doesnt change anything or make him correct. I then asked him to find the words in the rules that said what he was saying.

I then was able to turn around what my grandpa said about what my wife did to show him that what he just said would have been a legal way for my wife was exactly what my mom did. He then tried to proceed to argue that we arent talking about what my mom did right now:D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, that sounds exactly like how things go in my head> first the Te kicks in, furious and righteous as above, but then when I calm down, or Te it all out of my system my Fi kicks in, and forgives and tried to find a balance, even though it's only managable by squishing the first reaction, even though the first reaction is the one that should be sustained because sometimes Fi is too wimpy and lets the world walk all over you.

Truthfully as I have aged more I am able to sutain the first reaction for longer, and I am more able to squish the Fi that wants to change that reaction to something more accomodating, I feel the pull and tug between the two functions and still can not see how to make them work well together.

Its a stretch and not along the lines of what most people think of Fi, but what if you try to appease others so you can get out of Te mode and change how you feel inside? Its not doing it for them, its doing it for you. Its what you need, but in order to do that you must back down whether your right or not. Backing down doesnt mean your wrong, just I am tired of dealing with it, just drop it, I am done for now. Some types dont understand it and have to have closure and will keep pushing.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What an interesting topic! I did my best to read it all... First off, a book of mine talks about how each type uses processes in their particular function order. It's called Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code by Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi. It says this about ENFPs use of Te as their third function:

Find relief with extraverted Thinking
They can enjoy organizing data, space, or clutter to make life flow better. They notice when something is not functioning right. They usually know where they are in a process. They trust empirical thought and want thinking to fit with what is observed as measurable facts. This may involve testing ideas. They can usually lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made.
When younger, they may lack organization and can wander off task, forget the time, or miss steps. As they grow, time management, goal setting, and follow-through with longer-range plans is easier. They also begin to control their emotional reactions, taking the time to reason what's actually plausible and what consequences are probable. As they embrace logical reasoning, they may become over-confident when making up answers on the fly or may try to definitively prove something using logic. They may argue which interpretation of a situations is right, what organization or method will work correctly, or how to best build on something new. With time they also learn they can't say yes to every new and enchanting possibility that comes along.
Engaging in extraverted Thinking can be unsettling and disruptive at times. They may confuse objectivity with being blunt or one-up emotionally with others. Or they may compartmentalize interactions with others to sever participation.

The bolded are things I've personally seen in two very important ENFPs in my life: My sister and a close friend. The odd part is, they use Te very differently. I've only seen Ne Te anger in my sister, and as Wonkavision said, if they feel they've been insulted in some way, you will have HELL to pay. :doh: ENFP rage is overwhelming.

Anyways, I've seen all sorts of arguments here... and I kind of agree with a little bit of everything. I don't think Te in ENFPs always has to be a negative thing... The relief function is supposed to be how you appear playful and childlike... and I've seen this in both of my ENFPs. In my sister, I saw her spend hours organizing a really unnecessarily complicated chore schedule for her and her two roommates, when it could be just as effective to have a rotating schedule. :tongue: I've seen my ENFP friend get really playful about his arguments, and really domineering about his arguments... a Te kind of forcefulness. He's ask me to listen to a lecture on how God couldn't exist, and I said I would when I got the chance... The next day, while I was doing things around my apartment, he subtly turned on my computer and started playing it for me on Youtube. :huh:

I used to think that growth of your third function was a completely healthy thing, and thought my friend might be a healthier ENFP than my sister just because he seemed like he had his life and work schedule organized, and always kept his room neat. My sister, on the other hand, has always been really messy, and always appears chaotically out of order (although just recently, she's gotten a LOT better about this). But after reading most of this thread... yeah, it CAN be healthy, but it's all about balance. I actually just had a conversation with my friend that seems related... He admitted that up until recently, he spent so much effort focusing on how to portray himself to people instead of actually just -enjoying- the people. Granted, that isn't Te, but I think Te was kind of how he wanted to portray himself. That's why he -appeared- to be so neat and have his life organized. I think he still wants to develop Te, but he's not overly focused on it like he was. In this case, I think my sister has a healthier development... she has a strong Fi and I can't ever see her trying to portray something other than her true self to others. So basically, my friend appeared healthier because his third function seemed more developed than my sister's, but my sister had a more developed Fi, which may make her a healthier ENFP (although her Te still seems really negative).

Both my sister and my friend are learning how to balance out Te... I think they both need and want it, but it's never going to be as strong as Fi, and Fi needs to be developed along with Te so it evens out. So I wouldn't just discount Te all together as unhealthy... the description of Te use in ENFPs shows a lot of healthy uses. And after all, it STILL is a primary function.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What an interesting topic! I did my best to read it all... First off, a book of mine talks about how each type uses processes in their particular function order. It's called Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code by Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi. It says this about ENFPs use of Te as their third function:

The bolded are things I've personally seen in two very important ENFPs in my life: My sister and a close friend. The odd part is, they use Te very differently. I've only seen Ne Te anger in my sister, and as Wonkavision said, if they feel they've been insulted in some way, you will have HELL to pay. :doh: ENFP rage is overwhelming.

Anyways, I've seen all sorts of arguments here... and I kind of agree with a little bit of everything. I don't think Te in ENFPs always has to be a negative thing... The relief function is supposed to be how you appear playful and childlike... and I've seen this in both of my ENFPs. In my sister, I saw her spend hours organizing a really unnecessarily complicated chore schedule for her and her two roommates, when it could be just as effective to have a rotating schedule. :tongue: I've seen my ENFP friend get really playful about his arguments, and really domineering about his arguments... a Te kind of forcefulness. He's ask me to listen to a lecture on how God couldn't exist, and I said I would when I got the chance... The next day, while I was doing things around my apartment, he subtly turned on my computer and started playing it for me on Youtube. :huh:

I used to think that growth of your third function was a completely healthy thing, and thought my friend might be a healthier ENFP than my sister just because he seemed like he had his life and work schedule organized, and always kept his room neat. My sister, on the other hand, has always been really messy, and always appears chaotically out of order (although just recently, she's gotten a LOT better about this). But after reading most of this thread... yeah, it CAN be healthy, but it's all about balance. I actually just had a conversation with my friend that seems related... He admitted that up until recently, he spent so much effort focusing on how to portray himself to people instead of actually just -enjoying- the people. Granted, that isn't Te, but I think Te was kind of how he wanted to portray himself. That's why he -appeared- to be so neat and have his life organized. I think he still wants to develop Te, but he's not overly focused on it like he was. In this case, I think my sister has a healthier development... she has a strong Fi and I can't ever see her trying to portray something other than her true self to others. So basically, my friend appeared healthier because his third function seemed more developed than my sister's, but my sister had a more developed Fi, which may make her a healthier ENFP (although her Te still seems really negative).

Both my sister and my friend are learning how to balance out Te... I think they both need and want it, but it's never going to be as strong as Fi, and Fi needs to be developed along with Te so it evens out. So I wouldn't just discount Te all together as unhealthy... the description of Te use in ENFPs shows a lot of healthy uses. And after all, it STILL is a primary function.

So the outward anger could be the frustration with not being able to organize the thought which clouds it even more?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So the outward anger could be the frustration with not being able to organize the thought which clouds it even more?

Oy... I'm not REALLY sure about that. I think we need the ENFPs to answer that one. All I know is that my sister freaks out when she feels insulted. Then she hurls out really hurtful things at anyone in her path. But that quote that Wonkavision uses earlier sounds a LOT like her when she's angry:

Tertiary Te (ExFP): "Unfair!! I have to stick to my guns, I will not be bullied or cheated. Any number of authorities agree with me. All my friends agree with me. Everyone can see that my response is directly mandated by the situation: anything else would be irresponsible. These facts absolutely settle the matter, and there is no point in looking at it any further."

So I don't know if it's the frustration with not being able to organize her thoughts or not... but she definitely hops into that Te type mode when she's hurt.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oy... I'm not REALLY sure about that. I think we need the ENFPs to answer that one. All I know is that my sister freaks out when she feels insulted. Then she hurls out really hurtful things at anyone in her path. But that quote that Wonkavision uses earlier sounds a LOT like her when she's angry:

So I don't know if it's the frustration with not being able to organize her thoughts or not... but she definitely hops into that Te type mode when she's hurt.

Being forced to organize the thought, not the inability. So it would be "the frustration with not being able to organize the thought as quickly as others want you to which clouds it even more?"