• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] I made a gift for an INFJ

lamp

I'm really happy with it. What I did was personalise it more (I hid a humourous children's rhyme adapted for her name and mine and her personality between the quotes - I'm generally the sillier one :D) and express the implications of the gift more (my intentions with the gift and reaffirming she's a beautiful person to me..and some funny shit). I never said anything I didn't mean/feel or wasn't comfortable with...no gushing.
Sounds like Fi was not compromised at all - Fi/Fe intersection perhaps. From your original post, it seemed like on some level you resisted adding the message.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Sounds like Fi was not compromised at all - Fi/Fe intersection perhaps. From your original post, it seemed like on some level you resisted adding the message.

It just wasn't my first thing...my intuitive idea was to give her just the quotes with minimal explanation because that's most emotionally evocative to me.

I didn't resist it, I just thought it was interesting that it wasn't a primary reflex to extravert feeling.

How would you have felt about the gift?

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It just wasn't my first thing...my intuitive idea was to give her just the quotes with minimal explanation because that's most emotionally evocative to me.

I didn't resist it, I just thought it was interesting that it wasn't a primary reflex to extravert feeling.

i would just like to say again, that personally i would have been over the rainbow if i got something like that

awesome

lamp

Have you been slightly editing + clarifying your posts or am I going insane?

It sounds like the added message fit right in with the rest of the gift and did not compromise the gift (actually, rereading the thread, it did. but this doesnt really need to be rewritten). In your position, I would have evaluated the added message. On one hand, the message could be a departure from the 'intuitive idea' of the gift, as you put it. On the other, the message is potentially a good idea - it could be a resultant of a further exploration or refinement of the 'intuitive idea'. So, I would examine the message in an attempt to determine whether it is actually 'part' of the gift. If it is, I would (probably?) include it even though it was not present in the initial 'intuitive ideal'. If not, I would try and find some other way of incorporating it without compromising the gift. So, in this situation, if I found the message inappropriate I would instead address the INFJ when I gave them the gift. That way, I am able to express and clarify everything I want to, exactly the way I want to.

When I give gifts, I often verbally explain or preface. I prefer this to writing out a card or note, for example.

I suppose, for me the 'intuitive ideal' may only be a glimpse at the truth. Exploration can reveal more of the ideal. However, I note that I make a distinction between the initial ideal and that which has been further uncovered by exploration. I am unsure what to conclude here.

If I were to receive the gift, I would appreciate it and think it was awesome. I would probably ruminate about the quotes in various ways: the quotes themselves, the quotes in relation to me, and the quotes in relation to me in the context of our relationship. I accumulate a lot of physical clutter but I would try and keep this gift isolated and preserved in the 'VIP section'.

I relate to that, some core feeling is lost (the unspoken poetry and power in only the quotes), but in the end I feel more satisfied when I get my message across so that the other person can recognise and enjoy it. If I were to do this for my father (also INTJ), I'd give him the quotes, no names, no nothing, just the quotes. I know he would *understand*. This was a very minor adaptation for me, though. I also like to see the value of seeing the value of other ways of being (not that you don't - it just makes me happy).
Aha! you have been editing. The above was written without me having read this segment, but it still applies. I would probably have not included the message, maybe I would have incorporated it into a second gift or some kind of 'gift accessory'. As a recipient, knowing the quoted text above, I would prefer that the message not be directly included. "To see the value of seeing the value of other ways of being" hmm, is the inclusion of the message necessary for this? Seems like it might be.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think your friend will like it a lot....I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I feel happy enough that someone would even send me a gift or card with some nice thoughts there, let alone the specifics. It's more the thought that counts, I would say. Most INFJs will see through fake flowery language anyway.