• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe and how it works

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
"What did you do last weekend?"

"oh, barbecue with the family <bla bla bla>. Saw event horizon with my eldest"

"Oh, do you like astronomy? I was briefly an astronomy major in college until Applied Physics kicked my ass."

I know you're interested in astronomy and I file that away about you.

"Oh, i found that film rather intriguing. What did you think of the concepts presented?" (or, even sneakier, mention a few then slowly branch it out)

"Oh, wow! Do you like independent films? Know any good indie theaters around here? What's the last film you saw?"

I know you're into film, maybe I can ask you questions about special effects or something depending on what you say.

Its a few lines, if they don't bite you waste a short amount of time. If they do, interesting conversation. Difficult?

Yep, this is basically what I do!

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
LOL, I think you'd get :thelook: if you started like that with me. I'm interested in those things as well, but I don't immediately start that way. And it's funny because those things tend to come out (as SciVo mentions) in the "idle" chat. I mean, in the course of what someone did last weekend they tend to reveal their passion for gardening and their dream of opening a bed and breakfast, ya know? Or that they're wine enthusiasts or have sky diving as a hobby. ;) I find they naturally come out over the course of conversation.

Yes, exactly! One minute I'm telling them about how I went to a new venue in a different part of town, the next they're telling me about how they used to live there before the gentrification, and their cousin was a great up-and-comer in gangsta rap before committing suicide; and then all of a sudden I'm empathizing with their years-old, softened-but-living grief, all just because of "hai how was ur w33k3nd."

I don't think SciVo was suggesting approaching it as a first conversation in the elevator. More that if you are talking with a colleague or something, you learn a lot about them through hearing about their interests/lack thereof regarding food and music. I love talking about that sort of thing and it often does evolve into something deeper.

I understand wanting to go right in for the meaningful stuff, but what LA is suggesting sounds to me like the emotional equivalent of people a person who insists on foregoing all courtship rituals or foreplay and is surprised when the other party isn't ready to have sex on demand. Maybe I have misunderstood, but I'm unlikely to tell anyone my thoughts or talk about anything meaningful if they cannot even put up with hearing about something that semi-matters to me for a couple of minutes and I can do the same with them. And if you want to forego all of the conventional conversational rituals, it does have consequences. I suppose it's a matter of weighing your boredom or inconvenience (which wouldn't have to be either depending on how you look at it) against the social benefits and possibility of getting to understand people better.

Again, yes exactly! I used to loathe small talk, but with a great deal of experimentation and practice, I've learned just a couple of powerful tricks. One is the importance of initial proportionality -- keeping the depth of a conversational gambit proportional to the depth of the real relationship -- and the other is how the skill of demonstrating real liking and interest draws out the interesting stuff that most people hide deep because it's connected in one way or another to still-tender hurts.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I'm understanding LA to be saying is that if she's in line with Jane Doe in the grocery store, if she can't find out those meaty parts of her then she's not interested. I say I don't need those meaty parts to be interested and satisfied, casually and even if I were interested, I have a good idea of how to get my interest satsified but I would feel like that would be getting too personal too quickly and that's when I have some sort of Fe block, like I'm overstepping my boundaries with someone I don't know well. It still seems like a Fe block, with LA only it's manifesting in "I'm not interested." Now if this is a person I interact with frequently, like at work, I need to know them in more depth because our relationship is different. LA are you saying you wouldn't be interested in any case if you couldn't get to the meaty parts? To me these two scenarios are in different categories so of course I wouldn't respond the same way.

Eh, eh. I don't talk to people in the grocery store. Unless I know them. :)

See, you're forgetting the part where I said: I don't do a whole lot of Fe-ing/casual conversation. So there is no need to gauge the level of it. Jane Doe in the grocery store can just keep shopping, like she should be.

In the case of the person at work, yes, I'd want more interesting conversation.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yes, exactly! One minute I'm telling them about how I went to a new venue in a different part of town, the next they're telling me about how they used to live there before the gentrification, and their cousin was a great up-and-comer in gangsta rap before committing suicide; and then all of a sudden I'm empathizing with their years-old, softened-but-living grief, all just because of "hai how was ur w33k3nd."

Yes! One of my coworkers nearly broke down in the bathroom once about how she hates living alone (she's an older woman) and how lonely she is and fears dying in her house and no one finding her. This is all based on my asking "So how are your grandkids?" Of course, I knew she had daughter's because when I went in her office I saw their pictures on her desk and inquired.

Again, yes exactly! I used to loathe small talk, but with a great deal of experimentation and practice, I've learned just a couple of powerful tricks. One is the importance of initial proportionality -- keeping the depth of a conversational gambit proportional to the depth of the real relationship -- and the other is how the skill of demonstrating real liking and interest draws out the interesting stuff that most people hide deep because it's connected in one way or another to still-tender hurts.

:yes: And sometimes you get things you weren't even prepared for or expected to get, which is both good and bad. A certain song would illicit a certain memory, a picture of a pet on a keychain garners this really wonderful story, a comment about a hairstyle reveals all sorts of insecurities. It's quite amazing to me.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or against the possibility of signifying something that you didn't intend to signify (e.g., that you don't respect the person, that you don't take them seriously, that they aren't worth your time, so on). The consequences of ignoring my professor, for example, would be that they wouldn't trust me, or that they would see me as uninterested in maintaining collegial relationships and therefore expendable. After all, what prof wants graduate students who have no chance of maintaining their connection with them once they're full blown, accomplished professors themselves?

Professors/bosses are one of those "necessary" cases where I grin and bear it.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes! One of my coworkers nearly broke down in the bathroom once about how she hates living alone (she's an older woman) and how lonely she is and fears dying in her house and no one finding her. This is all based on my asking "So how are your grandkids?" Of course, I knew she had daughter's because when I went in her office I saw their pictures on her desk and inquired.

---

:yes: And sometimes you get things you weren't even prepared for or expected to get, which is both good and bad. A certain song would illicit a certain memory, a picture of a pet on a keychain garners this really wonderful story, a comment about a hairstyle reveals all sorts of insecurities. It's quite amazing to me.

And I have no idea of what distinction to draw between our obviously similar approaches, except for fidelia's that I quoted earlier. I definitely remain reserved. I have to consciously remind myself to express my reciprocation of others' interest! But I've found it immensely rewarding to do so, and I want people to know that.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think Fi lets other people be affected by it aka the "green smog" or the "bright pick me up" that ProteanMix once described.

Fe is more utilitarian like other people have pointed it - I don't think Fe aspires to make you feel what it is feeling. Rather, the Fe user will want to convey upon you exactly how they feel.

Fe: I don't make you feel happy because I'm happy. I make you feel happy because I want you to feel happy, even if I myself am sad or angry or tired, etc.

Fe doesn't assume that you can feel what I feel. Fe does not want you to mimic it necessarily. But it has a goal. I can gesticulate, hug, raise my voice, point, etc. to convey what I'm feeling. Or else my Fe is directing my emotions at you to make a point. Fe doesn't so much feel for itself but is aware and cares about the emotions/happiness/comfort of others. Fi cares about a value system that cares about others but is consumed by itself and talks to itself because it is introverted.

Fi feels period. The Fi container (namely us) is leaky like that. Fi thinks it can feel what you feel and maybe you can feel what I feel. We don't necessarily try to extravert or convey our emotions to you, because it just is. Fi thinks it is psychic. Fe speaks.

Does that make sense at all?

That's my take on Fe.

I like what OneMoreTime and SkyWard said about it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok wow, thanks for all the people who've chipped in, this was most enlightning and a discussion which was very much due on these boards.

Protean, you did a wonderful job of describing indeed how you can get to the meaningful conversations. LA, I'm with you on skipping small talk, but I'll bear through it if I feel that there might be more interesting convo following and will implement Proteans bag of tricks for that to do so, but it seriously drains me. Which also makes me wonder...what's the difference between INFJ's Fe and NFP's Fi..coz I'm still not seeing that :D

I'm also thinking that possibly, NFPs use Ne instead of Fe, to skip small talk all together. I tend to go up to someone only when they have piqued my interest somehow, and I'll open with a statement about that curiosity and have the conversation spin off from there on, effectively skipping small talk. However, this is not always possible.

I would love to hear from both ENFJs and INFJS how they experience deeper bond. Protean, you've described how you open the conversation and finally get to the 'meaty bits', and LA, how you just prefer to jump in...but what happens after? How does Fe manifest itself in deeper connections, how do experience it?

:popc1:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm also thinking that possibly, NFPs use Ne instead of Fe, to skip small talk all together. I tend to go up to someone only when they have piqued my interest somehow, and I'll open with a statement about that curiosity and have the conversation spin off from there on, effectively skipping small talk.

ENTP chiming in to say this is what I actually do most of the time and aim to do all of the time, because small talk makes me want to gnaw off one of my fingers and fling it just to create enough of a diversion to escape.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

i admire your ability to weild Fe as such a honed skill! i think Fe being a primary versus secondary versus tertiary function makes a lot of difference. i could prolly take some good lessons from you in using small talk to segway into deeper conversation. i just don't have the patience for that. but that is not really my expertise anyway. some fjs (efjs, nfjs, sfjs) have had more time to practice this perhaps if they work or are involved in more community gatherings.

Glad I never have to work in applied physics :D

you are such a kook!

Professors/bosses are one of those "necessary" cases where I grin and bear it.

i'm getting the feeling you prefer to initiate convos. do you respond well when someone initiates with you? or do you just generally prefer not to be bothered by people?

I think Fi lets other people be affected by it aka the "green smog" or the "bright pick me up" that ProteanMix once described.

Fe is more utilitarian like other people have pointed it - I don't think Fe aspires to make you feel what it is feeling. Rather, the Fe user will want to convey upon you exactly how they feel.

Fe: I don't make you feel happy because I'm happy. I make you feel happy because I want you to feel happy, even if I myself am sad or angry or tired, etc.

Fe doesn't assume that you can feel what I feel. Fe does not want you to mimic it necessarily. But it has a goal. I can gesticulate, hug, raise my voice, point, etc. to convey what I'm feeling. Or else my Fe is directing my emotions at you to make a point. Fe doesn't so much feel for itself but is aware and cares about the emotions/happiness/comfort of others. Fi cares about a value system that cares about others but is consumed by itself and talks to itself because it is introverted.

Fi feels period. The Fi container (namely us) is leaky like that. Fi thinks it can feel what you feel and maybe you can feel what I feel. We don't necessarily try to extravert or convey our emotions to you, because it just is. Fi thinks it is psychic. Fe speaks.

Does that make sense at all?

That's my take on Fe.

I like what OneMoreTime and SkyWard said about it.

it makes sense to me. i am going to quote from my functions book about Fe:

Fe is The Guide which coordinates people and things to harmoniously achieve group and individual goals. initiating, building, and maintaining personal relationships is a primary goal of Fe. Loss of personal relationship through disharmony is to be avoided at almost any cost. Even intellectual arguments are normally avoided out of fear that the discussion may turn disharmonious.

Fe draws out other people's beliefs, emotions, or ideas and tends to focus on what they share with her. Often the Guide will share personal information in an attempt to bond with other people. After identifying other people's needs the Guide will try, when possible, to meet those needs, frequently at the expense of meeting her own needs.

In order to smoothly relate to other people, the extraverted Feeling Guide internalizes cultural values [this sounds Fi a bit], treats them as if they are personal values, and uses them to drive decisions. When functioning in a group or on a team, the Guide seeks to maintain group harmony and makes sure each person is recognized and taken care of.

Often the Guide attempts to educate other people as to appropriate behaviors in given situations.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe she just wants to vent and make you understand what she's feeling? my istp husband can't help but try to jump right to fixing it. he gets what i'm saying before i'm done ranting, and has already used his Ti to come up with a solution. so when i stop to take a breath, he switches in to solution mode. but i don't want him to fix it. i want him to simply understand and validate. that's it. i can fix it myself after i vent it. after i vent it, i can move to understand it. all i want from him is to actively listen.

My wife vents 99% of the time about how others just dont care enough about other people. My fixit mode is to try and explain thats how people are you cant change them all you can do is not care as much.

Her is what I see as the essence of Fe. At christmas time my wife will shop sales and try to get things as cheap as possible so she can get everyone more toys. She enjoys figuring out the possibilities that makes everyone happy. When we take vacations she really enjoys figuring out what all we can do, this is Ni. She will call me, what do you think about this, and this, and this, and this, etc. It starts about 6 months to a year prior to the trip. She figures out how to get the maximum amount of fun in for everyone and to do this we need a tight schedule all the tickets are bought before hand to make sure we dont get there and realize its sold out or something or sit there all trying to figure out what to do(we all know how this ends up with something as simple as where to go to eat). This is the essence of Fe. With this focus comes the sacrifice of self and the frustration of how no one else cares as much as they do. You cant have one without the other so to me this is also the essence. It is the yin and yang. You can try to get around it by focusing on those that are in need, what this does is remove the "possibility" of them actually being able to help you and you can reason that they do care they just "cant" do anything to return it. The thing is people in need dont always want to fix the problem and then Fe will put more into that person than that person wants to put in themselves and gets frustrated.

On a side note actually trying to explain and understand these things helps me self-realize certain things I have done that would really drive Fe dom and aux types into frustration. Times when they wanted to help me more than I wanted to help myself. I think its an INFJ in particular that I really did this to. ENFJ types i guess are better at dealing with the consequences of Fe dom than aux Fe users are.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
More about the small talk: How would you feel if you mentioned something briefly in passing to someone, it was important to you (for example, Amar, I know about the connection you feel with animals you've mentioned it on the forums several times), but it wasn't delved into in depth, but this person remembered that you said it, recognized that it was something important to you, and revisited it later when maybe the situation was more conducive to a more.

I cannot emphasize the importance of this for me. It's my main people information gathering function and I don't understand myself how there are other ways to get this information.:huh: It gets connected to everything. And I also can't emphasize how much noticing the details of another person I do. It is very much like aphrodite said: it's body language, tone of voice, small little gestures, so much little stuff that people notice but maybe I take it a step further and actively process this into a conversation or something? It doesn't require effort for me to pay attention enough to other people do to this. I really like what Udog said in another thread about it's like dim fireworks for him. To me I still think, it's a matter of paying attention not that this stuff is going over most people, it's just that it's more sensory input to be ignored or selectively paid attention to. For me though, it can't be ignored.

For deeper connections, I think it gets more nebulous. Like most people, it's allowing yourself to be vulnerable. For me that takes the form of revealing more about myself, how I think, how I feel, why I feel and think the way I do, what things and people mean to me, why the mean what they do (or don't), my fears, things I worry about.

It's a different flavor of emotional expression. I'm not particularly reserved, even casually, about showing or expressing a range of emotion. I don't care if someone I just met sees me frustrated or hurt about something external ("Why the hell is there only one line open!"), but seeing me frustrated and hurt about something internal is different ("Do they trust me enough do this?"). It's more about seeing things that are salient to who I am, delving into my self-concept and that of the other person that signifies deepening intimacy. Basically self-revealing information becomes more high stakes: more to lose, more to gain.

As far as how I relate to the other person, Pink is always saying about how she doesn't let go of people. I swear, I feel strongly enough about my loved ones that I have become absolutely relentless on their behalf. I have felt unyielding, single-minded focus on the behalf of the people I love and have pulled undiscovered stamina to fight and destroy for them. This is basically a minefield and the number one source of conflict and loyalty with the people I care about the most because often it's translates into not allowing them to do on their own behalf. There's a John Legend song called "Ordinary People" that pretty much encapsulates this idea:

This ain't a movie no
No fairy tale conclusion ya'll
It gets more confusing everyday
Sometimes it's heaven sent
Then we head back to hell again
We kiss then we make up on the way

If this doesn't happen on some level, I don't feel like we've really bonded. It's almost like I need to get into a fight with you in order to show that we're going somewhere. We need to storm and I'm not really afraid of it. I'm not saying be in a continuous state of warfare, but this is a mountain that needs to be climbed. What I seek is to get to that other side where this is a greater transparency and intimacy with the other person because you know you've gotten through those unsavory meaty bits. Because not all meaty bits are about dreams and aspirations, some are about deep hurt and scars that manifest themselves in ways that are difficult to deal with and overcome. To me it's about creating a space where all of this can occur.

The problem is if someone doesn't respond with the same tenacity of feeling that I do, it really does translate in my mind that they don't care as much as I do. I realize is not true but it's still there and I can become resentful. Which is why, honestly, not many people get to this point with me because it's a lot of damn work. It's more of a whole body effort and more draining and I don't have the energy to dole this out to everyone I know. It's also why I prefer to attach this type of feeling to people rather than a person.

As usual, I end this with I only speak for me. :) I realize that for some FJs this is not at all descriptive of them.

i admire your ability to weild Fe as such a honed skill! i think Fe being a primary versus secondary versus tertiary function makes a lot of difference. i could prolly take some good lessons from you in using small talk to segway into deeper conversation. i just don't have the patience for that. but that is not really my expertise anyway. some fjs (efjs, nfjs, sfjs) have had more time to practice this perhaps if they work or are involved in more community gatherings.

Thank you. It is not with false humility to say that it just came to me. I think I have the natural inclination to be interested in these things, but it has been an effort to cultivate. I read a lot of stuff about interpersonal communication and how to get along with people and incorporate that into what I do. And just like I know use this ability to connect to people I also very much know how and use this ability to make people feel like scum and worthless. Not particularly proud of it, but I can do that too.

Last edited:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If this doesn't happen on some level, I don't feel like we've really bonded. It's almost like I need to get into a fight with you in order to show that we're going somewhere. We need to storm and I'm not really afraid of it. I'm not saying be in a continuous state of warfare, but this is a mountain that needs to be climbed. What I seek is to get to that other side where this is a greater transparency and intimacy with the other person because you know you've gotten through those unsavory meaty bits. Because not all meaty bits are about dreams and aspirations, some are about deep hurt and scars that manifest themselves in ways that are difficult to deal with and overcome. To me it's about creating a space where all of this can occur.

The problem is if someone doesn't respond with the same tenacity of feeling that I do, it really does translate in my mind that they don't care as much as I do. I realize is not true but it's still there and I can become resentful. Which is why, honestly, not many people get to this point with me because it's a lot of damn work. It's more of a whole body effort and more draining and I don't have the energy to dole this out to everyone I know. It's also why I prefer to attach this type of feeling to people rather than a person.

As usual, I end this with I only speak for me. :) I realize that for some FJs this is not at all descriptive of them.

Why do these things have to be a storm to get somewhere? Hurt and crying is easy for me to talk through, not a fight or warfare. I guess this depends on what you learned. I have been with people who couldnt talk through anger so I have never learned how. With my parents one would always shutdown when arguments started. All I know to do is listen and not respond. I then decide on my own what I want to do. People think I get run over because of this. Sometimes I get yelled at and do what I was yelled at for, sometimes I get yelled at and ignore it. Sometimes I ignore it because I dont want people to think I get run over. People dont understand this way of handling things and initially think I am weak because thats how it appears.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Descriptions like this make me think I need to change my type to INTJ. And I would have, except I'm entirely certain that I'm an F type with dominant Ni, and INFJ descriptions fit me perfectly. Fe is always made to seem like it has none of its own feelings, but I have plenty of my own. It's not all about the other person. The only difference, I guess, is that I let this feeling show.

Which also makes me wonder...what's the difference between INFJ's Fe and NFP's Fi..coz I'm still not seeing that :D

I'm also thinking that possibly, NFPs use Ne instead of Fe, to skip small talk all together. I tend to go up to someone only when they have piqued my interest somehow, and I'll open with a statement about that curiosity and have the conversation spin off from there on, effectively skipping small talk. However, this is not always possible.
I've said this before: I don't think there is any strict dividing line between Fi and Fe. Many people I know are proficient in both, which wouldn't be suggested by their type's function order. But I've never been a big proponent of cognitive functions. I'd rather use dichotomies as they are always applicable.

I also do what you've said about Ne.

i'm getting the feeling you prefer to initiate convos. do you respond well when someone initiates with you? or do you just generally prefer not to be bothered by people?

I have no preference.

-------

Now, I'm going to clarify my position because I was slightly tired last night and my statements seem to have been distorted:

• I am not averse to opening statements such as "How are you doing?" I just dislike such statements as a means of filling up space, when the person is clearly not interested in the responses.
  • All conversations with me do not have to be about deeper topics. But if I'm going to discuss mundane topics, I expect the person to at least be genuinely interested in what I'm saying rather than just, like I said, filling up space.
  • I do not jump into deeper topics (except with close friends). There is an opening period. Which is dependent on the person, so I can't elaborate on what that opening period consists of.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
For me, one of the indications of being close to someone is the ability for both of us to show our less attractive sides as well as our good ones. (Someone seeing that I am stressed, sad, tired, busy, upset and vice-versa with them). I can afford to show my weaknesses to someone that I know I can trust not to misuse that knowledge. I will also risk conflict with them. With those I am less invested in, I do not bother. If I care about someone, I will actually risk them getting upset at me if I can see something that is going to hurt our relationship or that is going to be an ongoing problem. In addition to those "downsides" though, we have a much realer, relationship where they will see deeper into my thoughts, feelings and who I am. I will trust them with more and also invest much more heavily in being there for them. I will be more likely to impose myself on them when I see that they need support rather than waiting for them to ask. They will be the recipient of thoughtfulness, little gifts, expressions of appreciation, and unexpected humour.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For deeper connections, I think it gets more nebulous. Like most people, it's allowing yourself to be vulnerable. For me that takes the form of revealing more about myself, how I think, how I feel, why I feel and think the way I do, what things and people mean to me, why the mean what they do (or don't), my fears, things I worry about.

This is the one thing I am extremely open about. How I think, why I think the way I do, what I think. Would it bother you if your SO or someone you were dating was open with this to someone of the opposite sex? I dont hide my thought process or why i think or do things and I get the feeling like this causes her to feel uncomfortable because in this way I am very open. I am very open with my thoughts.

I think this is more one of the essences of ENFJ as opposed to Fe though in general and probably tied to an inferior Ti.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Why do these things have to be a storm to get somewhere? Hurt and crying is easy for me to talk through, not a fight or warfare. I guess this depends on what you learned. I have been with people who couldnt talk through anger so I have never learned how. With my parents one would always shutdown when arguments started. All I know to do is listen and not respond. I then decide on my own what I want to do. People think I get run over because of this. Sometimes I get yelled at and do what I was yelled at for, sometimes I get yelled at and ignore it. Sometimes I ignore it because I dont want people to think I get run over. People dont understand this way of handling things and initially think I am weak because thats how it appears.

I don't feel like it's warfare, to me it's like "now we're getting somewhere!" I know that people fight and argue and it doesn't scare me to fight and argue with someone and nor does it always indicate to me that if I do fight and arg

All of my friends, we had a turning point in the relationship. Either they were going to be those people that I do that casual Fe with, you know, that whole fond but not in love thing, or I'm going to be able to get real with you. I need to have the freedom and comfortableness. This is why I am very boundary conscious. I have never understood when I read Fe profiles about having bad boundaries, I have pretty good boundaries and I know why they're there. I know those six in one hand/half dozen in another traits I have: that I can be demanding, that I can bulldoze, I can be bitchy and vindictive. I'm not afraid to admit I can be those things and I can be those good Fe things too. I feel like I'm being responsible by keeping those things under wraps and not coming out the gate like that towards people. Which is why when I can be ALL THOSE THINGS good and bad, the relationship is getting more real between me and another person.

Another person may find this indicative of something being horribly wrong and that's OK. IME, to ignore these basic facts of being intimate with someone and not develop mechanisms to deal with them or be caught by surprise like I didn't know it would happen is foolishly naive. I don't expect rainbows and butterflies is what I'm saying, I expect a mix.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't feel like it's warfare, to me it's like "now we're getting somewhere!" I know that people fight and argue and it doesn't scare me to fight and argue with someone and nor does it always indicate to me that if I do fight and arg

All of my friends, we had a turning point in the relationship. Either they were going to be those people that I do that casual Fe with, you know, that whole fond but not in love thing, or I'm going to be able to get real with you. I need to have the freedom and comfortableness. This is why I am very boundary conscious. I have never understood when I read Fe profiles about having bad boundaries, I have pretty good boundaries and I know why they're there. I know those six in one hand/half dozen in another traits I have: that I can be demanding, that I can bulldoze, I can be bitchy and vindictive. I'm not afraid to admit I can be those things and I can be those good Fe things too. I feel like I'm being responsible by keeping those things under wraps and not coming out the gate like that towards people. Which is why when I can be ALL THOSE THINGS good and bad, the relationship is getting more real between me and another person.

Another person may find this indicative of something being horribly wrong and that's OK. IME, to ignore these basic facts of being intimate with someone and not develop mechanisms to deal with them or be caught by surprise like I didn't know it would happen is foolishly naive. I don't expect rainbows and butterflies is what I'm saying, I expect a mix.

If you have no problems arguing how do you feel comfortable handling hurt or sensitive subjects. Things that make you cry or sad?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
If you have no problems arguing how do you feel comfortable handling hurt or sensitive subjects. Things that make you cry or sad?

OK, well there's a difference between dealing with my own hurt and sadness and someone else's. Sensitive subjects is such a broad category so it really depends on what the subject is and if I have a point of reference. If I have no frame of reference all I can do is listen, comfort, and/or sympathize. If I can relate, besides doing those things I can offer my perspective or how the similar situation affected me.

For example, this may be morbid, but I find it comforting to talk with people who have dealt with cancer or who have a loved one who has had cancer--survived or died. I feel like that is a point of connection between me and that person and if they're willing to go there and talk about it in depth, so am I. Lately, I've found that I'm talking with some of my older coworkers (who haven't pried and been royal pains) about taking care of an sick and elderly parent. That's really something people in my age group (under 30) don't relate to. I've been talking to certain people about death. A couple of people I know have mentioned how layoffs are affecting their sense of self and value as a person, how unsteady and vulnerable this makes them feel.

It depends on context. Like I said, if someone is real, genuine, interested and willing to go there with me, I'll go there as well.