• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs and imaginary friends

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Any others INFPs have imaginary friends?

I have to say, they're not imaginary friends in the archetypal sense, they're more like characters that you create in your head that sort of borrow several characteristics from the people you already know to create one "superfriend." These friends are typically, people you hope to meet later in life or whatever.

Right now, my most interesting IF is named Demetri. He's a Romanian-American multi-instrumentalist and is in my imaginary band, called MEDS. He speaks with a Cockney accent and is always telling jokes. If I had to type him I'd probably say he's an ENFP, because he and I are almost exactly a like besides the fact he's more outgoing than me. I also have another IF named Scarlett, who's actually quite the baller. She's Korean-American (think Karen O), loves to play and mercilessly beat people at video games (figures... ;)), she's easy to talk to, fun to be around and just plain awesome/superbadazz.

So what are some of your guyses imaginary friends? :D I'm interested to hear about them!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hehe. I tend to create imaginary selves instead. I love stepping into character. Like make whole blogs by characters with weird quirks. It's a pity I can't have a second user name here. I could pretend it is my housemate or something.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup, they're called guides ;)

Chloe

OP:I would be worried, man!
does Demetri know Scarlett ?:/

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
^Lol.

Ish. I've introduced them before and they've talked before on a friendly basis, but nothing more. Muahahaha.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I had an imaginary bird. I used to convince people around the neighborhood that this bird sat on my "steering wheel" on my bicycle. One time a fooled a neighborhood girl, 2 years younger than me that my bird sat on my bicycle talking and waving at her, but only I could see it. She got so confused, she went and got her parents who got really mad at me and told me I shouldn't trick other people and that if I continued, they'd tell my parents. I claimed they couldn't see him either. That didn't help. I was like 8 or 9.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wouldn't really call them friends, but I have a lot of imaginary characters in my head who work through lots of different scenarios.

I got the impression that was actually quite normal.

As for imaginary friends, Metaphours, you're my imaginary friend! We just haven't met yet.

Or am I your imaginary friend? One of the two.

Chloe

... this is the biggest part of INFP profile I don't relate to.. I never had imaginary friends as child.

okay.. i did... now i remembered... i had in high school imaginary identical twin-sister, so I said my then boyfriend bout her, how she is going to different high school... and then totally forgot bout that. after 3 months he mentioned my twin sister, I didn't know wth he's talking about... couldn't believe he believed me about my sister :D

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
As for imaginary friends, Metaphours, you're my imaginary friend! We just haven't met yet.

Or am I your imaginary friend? One of the two.
'Tis a great mystery... :D

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yeah. I've got a few. At times they are more helpful to me than my real friends- much to my real friends' dismays.

^And I've also gotten the impression it's not that unusual for INFxs.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yeah. I've got a few. At times they are more helpful to me than my real friends- much to my real friends' dismays.

^And I've also gotten the impression it's not that unusual for INFxs.

Never had an imaginary friend. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm too realistic for that.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I-would-sometimes-idealize,-or-recreate-my-REAL-friends-into-someone-I-liked-better-in-my-head...But-I-never-talked-to-them...Does-that-count?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have imaginary friends, but I do create characters in imaginary scenarios and worlds in my mind, and yes, I often build them off of real people I've met, but didn't really get to know. Often, they encompass my ideal of a person in whatever role I've placed them in, and then I might add flaws to humanize them for dramatic element. Time to start writing a novel or something :blush:

I hear a lot of INFPs say they have "movies running in their mind" and I'd say it is something like that, not an interaction with an imagined person (I'm not crazy!!!! :tongue:).

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I internalize what I learn by imagining myself breaking it down into simple terms and explaining it to people that I know and like but that aren't particularly intellectual. I also do philosophical exploration by imagining dialogues with famous smart people (mostly dead ones). Not exactly the same as what the OP is talking about, but related I guess.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I internalize what I learn by imagining myself breaking it down into simple terms and explaining it to people that I know and like but that aren't particularly intellectual.

This too, I do this a lot. I guess this is why INFPs are supposedly good at putting difficult concepts in laymen's terms.