• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs and imaginary friends

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I read somewhere that scientists suspect that autism is an extreme male brain and schizophrenia is an extreme female brain. So when people think the chair is talking, it's sort of like over empathizing--thinking everything has a mind. Confirm/deny?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never had imaginary friends.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This too, I do this a lot. I guess this is why INFPs are supposedly good at putting difficult concepts in laymen's terms.

That's one of my primary talents, along with spotting patterns. I specifically want to be a forensic accountant, because I think that it will play to many of my strengths, meet many of my needs (such as having a clearly-defined role and using my highly-developed sense of ethics), and minimize my weaknesses (such as schmoozing).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My eldest daughter has piciked up on the concept of imaginary friends from a schoolmate. She told me hers was a unicorn with brown fur, blue and pink dots, also equipeed with Pegasus wings, and a green horn. She asked me if I were to have an imaginary friend, what would it be, and my answer was:

godzilla78.jpg

Godzilla!!!!

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't have imaginary friends, but I do create characters in imaginary scenarios and worlds in my mind.

I am lazy, so I'll just quote this. As I did.

There are many of them. Usually not based on people I know, I'd rather avoid that actually. I might make a few examples tomorrow.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read somewhere that scientists suspect that autism is an extreme male brain and schizophrenia is an extreme female brain. So when people think the chair is talking, it's sort of like over empathizing--thinking everything has a mind. Confirm/deny?

The INFP typelogic description says: "It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities".

I think most of us INFPs balked at that idea when presented in a thread recently about relating to profiles. No, we are not schizophrenic :doh:

My imagination is not really fantastical either. I think that's why I mostly reject fantasy genre and science-fiction as entertainment, unless it's a very refined metaphor.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What thread was that? I would like to visit it and not-balk at that description...

Anyway, I often imagine that someone is with me and I am carrying on a dialogue with them. Really, this is just a vehicle for my psyche to split and have a conversation with itself though, these imagined conversationalists are just placeholders. They aren't really the people that they represent, in that I don't try to make their responses realistic. It's more of a vehicle to externalize my internal monologue.

I normally didn't get the chance to play with other kids before I started school, so my imaginary friends were mostly characters from movies/TV/books...

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I would agree with the people who claimed they have imaginary characters rather than friends. It's usually some 'deep and complex' person and I kind of just play with different scenarios and see how he/she would react to it.

When I was a kid I used to enjoy imagining characters from video games or movies and see what they were doing after the whole story finished or I would imagine myself getting involved with their adventures and seeing how we would interact with each other.

INFP-D

I am so glad to find this thread, yes I have an IF, her name is Amber Dawn, after another Amber Dawn I met briefly a year and a half ago. Amber (the original) was the best listener and I really only talked to her for a total of 15 minutes or so, she was only being kind and ended our brief friendship after I got a little too personal. What can I say, I felt more comfortable with her then anyone I've ever known. I.F. Amber Dawn or A.I. (Amber Imaginary) as I call her (she doesn't mind, it makes her giggle when I call her A.I. ) is I'm sure quite different than the original, she is 43 not 34 because, well I'm 52 and that would be weird to have a female 34 year old BFF. We meet on the trail every day and walk for usually two hours and she listens to me. She never talks, just every once in a while says "fair enough" like the other Amber. Our relationship is purely platonic, and we are both ok with that.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've never had an imaginary friend or imaginary boyfriend. I have embellished people in my imagination plenty... imagined conversations, scenarios, etc... but I have never once created someone who didn't already exist. I am actually not very good at doing any such thing.