• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Is "Feeling" as RATIONAL as "Thinking"?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Typology terms can be pretty confusing.

It seems people often confuse the "Feeling" function with plain old feelings.

This leads to a bias that "Fi" and "Fe" are basically irrational, and therefore, somehow inferior to "Ti" and "Te."

So-- is "Feeling" a rational function, like "Thinking"?

Or is it an irrational/non-rational function, like "Sensing" and "Perceiving"?

Is it emotion-based, or values-based?

Well......

Let's consider this quote from Carl Jung*:

"It is true that feelings, if they have an emotional character, are accompanied by physiological effects; but there are definitely feelings which do not change the physiological condition. These feelings are very mental, they are not of an emotional nature. That is the distinction that I make.
Inasmuch as feeling is a function of values, you will readily understand that this is not a physiological condition. It can be something as abstract as abstract thinking. You would not expect abstract thinking to be a physiological condition.
Abstract thinking is what the term denotes. Differentiated thinking is rational; and so feeling can be rational in spite of the fact that many people mix up the terminology."

This is echoed by Isabel Briggs Meyers in her book, Gifts Differing:

"A basic difference in judgement arises from the existence of two distinct and sharply contrasting ways of coming to conclusions. One way is by the use of thinking, that is, by a logical process, aimed at an impersonal finding.
The other is by feeling, that is, by appreciation--equally reasonable in its fashion--bestowing on things a personal, subjective value."

This idea is also put forth by Lenore Thompson, in her book, "Personality Type: An Owner's Manual.:

"Unlike Sensation and Intuition, which encourage us to keep our options open and to acquire more information, the Judging functions prompt us to note how things usually happen and to organize our behaviors accordingly. This is why Thinking and Feeling are considered rational functions."

Conclusion???:

Well, according to Carl Jung, Isabel Briggs Meyers, and Lenore Thompson -- "Feeling" is a "mental" process, and is "not of an emotional nature."
It is "equally reasonable in its fashion" to "Thinking", and is considered a "rational" function.

So......

Does this make sense to you?

Is it confusing?

Do you agree? Disagree? Prefer different definitions?

Please share your thoughts/feelings about the elusive "Feeling" function. :)

Last edited:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
picture.php

dunno what kind of answer you are looking for but I found this interesting. Limbic system hehheh.

maybe we "feel" with our heads and "emote" through our hearts.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Feeling is defined as a value based function; it filters out the emotions that do not fit within the model. F & T are considered 'rational' (or judging) functions because they are used to make a decision and interpret the data. S & I are considered 'irrational' (or perceiving) functions because they are used to gather information.

/shorthand.

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
In typology, the third letter in each type refers to how we interpret information about the world around us. People with a Thinking type interpret information in terms of logic and ration. People with a Feeling type interpret information in terms of how it relates to people's opinions and viewpoints.

The word "feelings" does not ONLY mean emotions. It can also relate to opinions, viewpoints, etc.

Really, if you're that confused about the meanings of words, it's not that hard to find a dictionary and look it up.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In life feelings seem very rational, but are person dependent, where thinking logic seems to be more external worldly based. You can use thinking logic to rationalize a feeling and you can use a feeling to override logical rationalization using past events to rationalize feelings.

Fi feelings seem to be based on past events, Fe seems to be more based on trying to use the current to create certain feelings going forward.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Really, if you're that confused about the meanings of words, it's not that hard to find a dictionary and look it up.

Isn't that a bit harsh? :shock:
I mean... a lot of people figure things out by asking others. Not all are the bookworm type. And he clearly has done some reading, but currently has conflicted ideas about the subject, so he initiated a discussion about it. Isn't that why we're all here for?

Usehername

On a mission

This illustrates a gross misunderstanding of the philosophy of language and words as tools of communication. The OP has a worthy question.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I agree with the OP. Regarding MBTI, some people need to repeat over and over until it clicks: "Feeling does not equal emotion."

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feeling is subjective judgment, Thinking is objective judgment.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, Feeling is Idealistic, not Rational. But I think that's a good thing.

Rationality is quite limited, narrow, and confining, anyway. ;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wrong. Feeling can also be a precursor to objective judgment. Trust but verify :D

Subjective as in, there isn't that MUCH objectivity to it. It's subjective in that you use feeling based on things that happen in the moment, and with thinking it's widely usable and not reliant on people and what they do. Sure there is a subjective factor to thinking and there is a bit of objectivity about feeling, but yeah.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's subjective in that you use feeling based on things that happen in the moment, and with thinking it's widely usable and not reliant on people and what they do. Sure there is a subjective factor to thinking and there is a bit of objectivity about feeling, but yeah.

Are you sure you're not thinking of FP specifically?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Is "Feeling" as RATIONAL as "Thinking"?

Of course.

Let's look at the definition of "rational":

ra⋅tion⋅al  [rash-uh-nl, rash-nl]
–adjective
1. agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible
2. having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense
3. being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid
4. endowed with the faculty of reason

And let's examine them one by one:

1. Is Fi and/or Fe as a function agreeable to reason - yes
2. Is using feeling as a function mean you are capable of exercising good sense and judgement - yes
3. If you use your feeling functions, are you still sane - yes
4. Does feeling as a function mean you possess the capacity to use reason - of course

What is subjective in the whole of human existence is ONLY the interpretation of data, the "information in". It does not matter which function (Fi, Fe, Ti, or Te) is the director of analyzing and creating these conclusions or judgements; the potential to err exists in ANY judging function.

Thus, judging functions are, in reality, all subjective, and potentially irrational.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
This illustrates a gross misunderstanding of the philosophy of language and words as tools of communication. The OP has a worthy question.

I would've said more of a misunderstanding of the OPs intent. I think this is where the difference in focus between F and T lies. I know the Jungian categories "thinking" and "feeling" probably won't be in my Oxford, I actually saw this problem in a flash when I read the message, but the more interesting thing for me to focus on is the misunderstanding of the OP. ie. communication breakdown because the person's intent was not considered when reading the message, so it was taken in the wrong context.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As much as you might not expect this answer from me, YES...

Both processes are logical; Feeling bases this logic on interpersonal standards and Thinking relies upon impersonal constructs.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
attributing objectivity versus subjectivity to T or F seems as much of a misnomer as attributing intelligence to or seemingly solely to NT is.

MacGuffin had posted an article from the Boston globe from a few yrs ago about the thinking-feeling-emotions linkage and it might be relevant to the OP in terms of adding lateral input :
Hearts & Minds

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
As much as you might not expect this answer from me, YES...

Both processes are logical; Feeling bases this logic on interpersonal standards and Thinking relies upon impersonal constructs.

But this makes interpersonal standards the ultimate authority for Feelers, but it's clear that interpersonal standards, (e.g., tradition, ad populum, etc.), are fallible.

It would be irrational to make that which is fallible your ultimate authority. In this case, were a Feeler rational, it'd be the result of epistemic luck (or grace) that the interpersonal standards to which he subscribed were rational, for there are entire worldviews and communities that are subjective, anti-realistic, and consciously illogical.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
Feeling and Thinking are both subjective rational decision making processes as they are both processes done by a subject. F takes in account subjective human factors as valid input while T prefers to use only the objective. Yet, F and T are both capable of using both subjective and objective information when forming a decision.