• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Cynical INFPs

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an INFP but I frequently get mistaken for INTP or even ENTP due to my cynical nature, high valuation of logic and my dry and ironical/sarcastic sense of humour.

Can any other INFPs or even other NFs relate?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In person I come across a lot colder, sarcastic, and "logical". I'm pretty emotional at core, but that's not my everyday, public face.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I know a really cynical INFP, but it's not really the cool sarcastic kind of cynical. But more bitter and negative. Though I'm sure there are INFPs out there with dry cynicism.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mmm-hmm, kind of. I don't do cynicism, but I do have a (sometimes) sharp tongue and a knack for philosophy. I know there have to be a lot of people who read some of the things I've written and come away thinking I'm an NT. These are people who don't realize that NFs are capable of being thinkers and that we're not all fluff-filled teddy bears.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Blackcat, you come off like a male infp Mary Poppins. Warm and cuddly and all that junk.

I wonder if I come off like an istj sometimes since I'd rather not embarrass myself by acting on every first whim, potentially ruining my public reputation (haha!) with a 100% hedonistic-driven me (a sort of anabolic/acid-pumped es/ntj rage that does exist). I'd be really afraid of my own will if I had more than the iota of energy I have to sustain what I do present.

In light of the fact that my energy level is low but awareness is very high, I do say little but aim for maximum efficiency - below the belt only sporadically. I have a fairly good grasp of what I (and others) can and cannot accomplish - and thus usually try to use that ground to listen to others, mixing ideas/thoughts, and push very hard for a direction (general or particular) that they should consider. Brain/willpower is up there in abundance, but I have a very hard time working for my own benefit because I have such rein over everything I do (and often people in my immediate environment) and the individual doesn't really matter in the long run, really.

Kind of weird? In sum, I am an optimist, realist, dreamer, etc. ice cream swirl.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an INFP but I frequently get mistaken for INTP or even ENTP due to my cynical nature, high valuation of logic and my dry and ironical/sarcastic sense of humour.

I can relate. I don't get mistaken for other types, because I don't know anyone who types, but my 'public' face is very cool, and probably seems arrogant/superior at first blush. This is a calculated self-protective measure; once you get to know me, I'm very inviting and open to contact.
inside I'm often cynical, and value logic highly (mostly as a 'checking' function for intuition).

heart

heart on fire
When complaining about me, people most often complain that I am cold, aloof, cynical, don't give a damn, bad attitude, etc. Extroverts have also complained that I am borning and lights on, no one home.

I don't know anyone who is into typology off this board though.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
It really depends on my mood and who is near me, but yes, I can relate. Some people who know me well say I can be cynical and sarcastic.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have a really mean, sarcastic sense of humor, but I don't come across as cynical. Probably because I'm not cynical.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I've always been a cynical (or at least sarcastic) person and people sometimes mistype me for an INTP.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Cynicism is just angry, wounded optimism. (Their true opposite is apathy.) I think that a healthy INFP is naturally optimistic, but once that's injured, it can be a long road back. Though I rarely lapse back into melancholy any more, the appreciation for dark humor is a permanent addition. :devil: The best I can do now is "darkly optimistic," often descending to "brightly angsty." But hey, at least now I know how to fix my self-talk when it goes over a cliff! That'll serve me well until I die, at which point I expect it to stop working so well.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can relate. I don't get mistaken for other types, because I don't know anyone who types, but my 'public' face is very cool, and probably seems arrogant/superior at first blush. This is a calculated self-protective measure; once you get to know me, I'm very inviting and open to contact.
inside I'm often cynical, and value logic highly (mostly as a 'checking' function for intuition).

I can relate to this.

And a lot of the posts here, I really appreciate it.

The INFPs on the global chatter INFP forum really annoy me sometimes. The vast majority are extremely INFP, it always makes me question my being an INFP (which I undoubtedly am) as I don't really feel that I fit in there.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Cynical INFPs are kind of a bummer.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Used to be! Now it just takes a bad mood to bring that back.

But I discovered I'm actually too idealistic to pull that crap off for long. :tongue:

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I know of an INFP who relates well to my dry and sarcastic humor, but she is by no means a cynical person- she cannot help herself to feel the good in people.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Cynicism is just angry, wounded optimism. (Their true opposite is apathy.) I think that a healthy INFP is naturally optimistic, but once that's injured, it can be a long road back.

Exactly.

To start with, INFPs and INTPs are often hard to distinguish from one another irl. Fi is cold and prickly, you cold, prickly, cynical INFPs. ;)

But on top of that, I agree in the case of INFPs the cycnism/sarcasm is a defense/cover up/coping mechanism to having been hurt/disappointed. And once an INFP has been disappointed or hurt, watch out!

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh noes, I've been looking at a fundamental aspect of human nature from the narrow point of view of my specific temperament! I am truly a failure as an NF. :(

Ah who am I kidding, I totally forgive myself for disbelieving that someone could really think so poorly of the human race, what with us being such a beautiful treasure of infinite variety and all. :wubbie:

Last edited: