• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Why do I say stupid things?

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
Haha, I don't always use those kinds of fillers either. They seem like a waste of energy so if I'm not in the mood I just don't bother. :blush: Don't often think about how that looks... And 'mixing and matching' facts, too. :D Maybe it's an NJ thing.

I only really want people who are likely to write me a reference one day, and when my career starts, employers and clients, to think I'm intelligent. I don't want my friends to be patronising or underestimate me, as might happen if their first experience of me was as significantly less sufficient than I am. But it can actually be a big advantage for people you'll never see again to have that impression. I don't hide my cluelessness when out and about; it's liberating and strangers take pity on me. :D

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
As I've mentioned before, I don't make a good first impression. I once even had a roommate tell me that after he first met me, he called up his mom and told her how proud he was of himself for talking to this one retarded kid. :blush: I absolutely hate looking incompetent, even though I usually do.

And I also have that same problem with hesitating when someone asks me a question but I've been getting into a bad habit of repeating what they say in order to stall for time so I can think of a response or saying "Huh?" so I can think of something while they repeat themselves. My grandmother told me not too long ago that if she hears me say, "Huh?" one more time while I'm talking to her then she is going smack me right upside the head. :doh: So I guess that doesn't leave a very good impression either.

I have found that some of the nurturing types absolutely love us "absent minded professor" types because we seem so helpless. So it isn't all bad.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
A woman walked into the salon I was in the other day and the owner said to her "I haven't seen you in a while, you look very nice". The woman says well thanks, but I've put on weight. I then blurt out "Wow, you must have been anorexic before!" The woman gave me an odd look so I'm left wondering if my comment was stupid or rude. I meant for it to be a compliment :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
A woman walked into the salon I was in the other day and the owner said to her "I haven't seen you in a while, you look very nice". The woman says well thanks, but I've put on weight. I then blurt out "Wow, you must have been anorexic before!" The woman gave me an odd look so I'm left wondering if my comment was stupid or rude. I meant for it to be a compliment :)
LOL! I can relate. LOL!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Now would you say that's an INTJ thing to say?
Well, I don't really know because I have some strong INFJ motivations, too.
But I have suffered from stick-foot-in-mouth-while-trying-to-be-nice-itis for all my life! :blush:

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah- I have a great PLETHURA of stupid things I have said but I like to think of it rather as "Unintentional Natural Comedic Genius"
I speak before I think and I have to think outloud. I also just redefine words or make up words because I am not going to let the Dictionary tell me what to say,lol. Seriously though I put the dictionary= the system on trial.

I have said -
I'm sorry but I'm not good at logicalizing.
What we need is some gay people to straighten up the neighborhood.
You have photogenic memory.
Is there a number between 0 and 1? I actually argued with a mathematician about this,lol. That mathematician was my husband- who has a master's degree in math,lol.

Conversation with husband last night or night before-
Me- I should be able to say things like, literally died laughing.
Hubby- That isn't using literally correctly though.
Me- It's correct in MY dictionary. Besides I find the dictionary oppressive- Who do they think they are telling me what things mean- I wasn't there to have creative input and they just made stuff up like I do.
Hubby- But people won't be able to understand you.
Me- They can pick up on the "spirit" of the words I use and not the "letter".
Hubby- "Sigh"
Me -Laughing
Hubby-Laughing

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ah- I have a great PLETHURA of stupid things I have said but I like to think of it rather as "Unintentional Natural Comedic Genius"
I speak before I think and I have to think outloud. I also just redefine words or make up words because I am not going to let the Dictionary tell me what to say,lol. Seriously though I put the dictionary= the system on trial.

I have said -
Is there a number between 0 and 1? I actually argued with a mathematician about this,lol. That mathematician was my husband- who has a master's degree in math,lol.

Me- It's correct in MY dictionary. Besides I find the dictionary oppressive- Who do they think they are telling me what things mean- I wasn't there to have creative input and they just made stuff up like I do.
Hubby- "Sigh"
Me -Laughing
Hubby-Laughing
Oh MY that was entertaining! :rofl1:
I can so relate!
I, too find the dictionary oppressive at times!

shadowstormz

MBTI Type
INFJ
Examples:

I: (While learning to cook) How do you get the filling in a pie? Some kind of pump through a hole?
Mum: You put it in the base before putting the lid on. Everyone knows that!
I: Pies have two halves? Seems so obvious now I know.

Stranger: (Looking around, having tried to open a door, and announced that it's locked) How does he usually open it?
I: (Chirpily) With a key!
Stranger: Um... I know, I mean where does he get it from?

I: (When there's a power cut and pitch blackness shortly before a stunt show's due to start) I hope they don't do it now; it would be too dangerous in the dark.
Father: Of course they wouldn't - no one could see it!

It seems to get worse.

Is this simple inexperience? Do I just need to put the books away and get out more?! I'm thinking, probably a combination of that and something else. I suspect it's related to my type. Or rather I hope it is and I'm not just unrectifiably stupid. I've got a few theories but I want to know what people here think. Is there a particular function or combination I'm not engaging at the right time, or a function that doesn't belong getting in there? Are my thoughts going slower than other people's? My movements do; it'd be consistent. Am I jumping from the inner world to the outer world so quickly my mind doesn't adjust in time? I'm not sure what to do about it or if there's anything I can do. Keep my head down and mouth shut whenever good impressions matter? :D

Does anyone else do this?

Hahahahahaha! :yes:

I'm the same way with added gullibility. I just always assumed that was my way of acting silly. I guess I speak before I think. I find it funny and my friends do as well. Although I feel that I come off as a bit stupid when it happens. Here's some of the things I've said and done! Well, the ones I can remember.

At a carnival, I ride the log flume over 10 times within an hour. While I was going for another run on the ride and waiting to be 'launched', the new operator of the ride says to me, "Hey, did you know we just put fish in the water?" I responded with, "Oh, really!?" I began looking around. By the time it was time for us to launch off of the ride station, she says, "I was just kidding." :blush: That was after riding the ride a couple of times, too!

My friend: "You know souvlaki is made in Japan, right?"
Me: "Oh really?"
My friend: "Haha, of course not." *laugh laugh laugh*
(Although I knew it wasn't, I just responded with that, anyway. It took me a while to realize they're Greek. They ARE Greek, right!?)

These are more times when I was more gullible than...what you were describing, but trust me. I do that all the time. It usually happens when I'm a bit more talkative, but you are not alone there, my friend!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I have said -

Hubby- "Sigh"
Me -Laughing
Hubby-Laughing

Hmm... I'm not really like that. In fact, I feel chills down my spine when someone uses a colloquialism or incorrect definition. Why is that?

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know what you mean.
I once had a friend who I apparently irritated to no end by being silent after she would ask me something. I was silently thinking of an answer. I did this all the time with everyone.

Well, she railed into me something fierce. So from that day on, I attempted to make a sound immediately after someone asks me a question - to indicate to any person who had just asked me a question that I indeed was thinking, and would shortly come up with a response.

Who knows what people would think when they would ask me something and I would stand there staring...
Did she hear me?
Is she going to answer?
Does she understand what I asked?
Is she an idiot?

So now I use a quiet prolonged Uhh.. to let them know the wheels are turning.
Or sometimes I will announce, "I'm thinking..."
Sometimes I will even give them a play by play on what I'm thinking. :)

Point being - you can learn something new.

French speakers always fill up spaces with a sort of 'urrrrr' sound, have you noticed? If they are not quite sure what to say they never quite pause but go something like this:

je urrrrrrrrrrrrrr-voudrais-urrrrrrrrrrrr-une-urrrrrrrrrrrrrr-baguette-s'il-vous-plait-urrrrrrrrrrr ...

Random Ness

Okay I know all these posts were made in 2007 but I laughed my head off. Especially the comment about the roomate who assumed a poster was retarded.

I talk slowly. I'm not sure if it's type specific, however, because another INFJ I know talks really fast, especially when she's excited. Anyway, my talking style fits best with an INFP I know because wwee bbootthh ttaallkk lliikkee tthhiiss.. And since we both do it we don't feel dumb around each other.

Well, speaking of brain delay, I was playing pictionary with a group of people and the drawer gave hints of what the drawing was going to be. But they moved on from the hint to starting to draw so fast that I didn't process the hint most of the time. So when someone was like, "hint: action" I would blurt out, "liquid!" and when someone was like, "hint: noun" I would blurt out, "running!" and everyone was like, "Didn't you hear? It's a noun. =____=" haha...