• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Can INFP's trust their intuition/feelings?

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When I'm around people I always feel like I'm absorbing their moods, feelings or personalities. Here's a dumb example, but maybe it'll help me make more sense: I walk up to a cashier and automatically begin taking in his body language and the way he speaks in order to pick up on how he's feeling. Based on that, I feel like I get a good reading of their personality and mood.

Do you think these judgments and assumptions are accurate in any way? I know that they're definitely never going to be 100% accurate... but it's kind of annoying, how sensitive I am to other people without knowing if the information I'm feeding myself is even halfway correct. I don't know if this is common with other people, but it's just a natural, annoying thing that happens; I can't control it. No matter what, I'm always sensitive to the way people act and the mood they give off.

(And I don't know how to end this post, so I'll just end it here, lol.)

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that your assessments are probably pretty accurate. I have the same thing, although not as extreme. The thing that you /can't/ judge is WHY they are feeling that way. If someone seems upset, I worry that it is directed towards me, even if they are just having a bad day.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes. You should trust your intuition, particularly in regard to people's feelings.

If you're an INFP, your intuition is very good most of the time.

You already recognize that it's not going to be accurate 100% the time, so it's not like you're trusting it blindly.

And when making decisions, you will likely balance your intuition with other kinds of information.

Whatever you do, don't listen to people who think that intuition is untrustworthy.

They have no idea what they're talking about.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Ditto. Find it hard to be around a lot of people for this reason, too much to take in.

And trust, you pick it up and interperet with good reason. Unless you're weird...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes and no. I am working out when I can trust it and when my prejudices/panic mode get in the way. I guess the trick is knowing what really is intuition and what is just useless information distracting you.

BTW read the book Blink on this matter. Its a really fascinating book that claims you should trust your intuition.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Well, not everyone proceeds with social interaction based on their emotions, so don't use these feelings for everything. However, I'm sure your Fi and Ni are sharp and correct in these situations.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Here's my question, do you recognize when you are having a burst of intuition? I typically receive, act upon intuition and not realize it until after the fact. Sometimes hours later! But in the end it typically seems to be fairly accurate.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks you guys, I feel a lot more reassured now. And I'm definitely going to look in to that book, Southern.

As for when I recognize my bursts of intuition, I think it's sort of an ongoing process. Like I'll be talking to someone and absorbing their feelings/moods at the same time, and later when I'm alone I may dwell on the same thing.

And it's hard for me to be around a lot of people for long lengths of time too, Lithium. Once I become more secure with myself I think it'll be better, because I usually end up thinking "oh, they're mad, it must be because of me" even though I know that that's not logical at all.

INFP's have it tough, lol.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Once I become more secure with myself I think it'll be better, because I usually end up thinking "oh, they're mad, it must be because of me" even though I know that that's not logical at all.

INFP's have it tough, lol.

This is true. I have come to feel that other people own their own feelings, and I am not the owner of them myself. But this takes time to separate your own ego from the emotions you sense in others.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
I would say that if you're female, you should be extra careful about trusting those intuitions/feelings. You already are aware of the possible limitations though, so just continue to be on guard. Emotions can color the perception of the world around us, and can pollute the intuition. Guys can trust our intuitions more because we are already more wary of our emotions. Women are more comfortable with their emotions due to nature and nurture, which causes them to be less suspicious of them, hence there is a greater possibility that the emotions could pollute the intuition.

In your OP, you also mentioned that you actually look at the person and their body language.

For me, the intuition is an instantaneous and almost unconscious (sub-conscious?) thing. I don't consciously look at the person to read data. And unless the intuition comes in that instantaneous way, then you should be extra careful. Different cultures have different body languages and what would mean something in American culture could mean something entirely different in another.

I live in America but grew up in another country, and you would surprised at the extent to which body languages could differ to the point of things having the opposite meanings between countries.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that your assessments are probably pretty accurate. I have the same thing, although not as extreme. The thing that you /can't/ judge is WHY they are feeling that way. If someone seems upset, I worry that it is directed towards me, even if they are just having a bad day.

:yes: