• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Testing as the type you are drawn to

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I finally got my ENFJ friend to take an MBTI test. It wasn't the best one though, often equating E with socializing and J with being rigidly organized.
He tested INFP (!!!!!), and there is just no way he is INFP :D.

He sees himself as shy and needing a lot of alone time and thinks that equals introvert. I see him constantly texting people, going out with friends at the drop of a hat, hating it when he lived alone (and getting near suicidal from it), and becoming very depressed and down when not interacting with people a lot. Sure, I can see his social anxiety at times and like every human he needs down time, but introverted he is not.

He's not the typical J in being rigidly organized, but he can be socially organizing (he once made his own message board for just his real life friends, and got us all on there to post regularly).

It seems very likely to me that people might sometimes test as the type they are drawn to. I think this is the case here.

How often have you seen this with friends/family? You're quite sure of their type, bu then they test as something else, and it's suspiciously the type they are often attracted to....

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I've ran into many an extrovert that claimed to be introverted. They (the ones mentioned not the entire group) seem to want to project an image of introversion because they associate it with depth and humility or something, when that isn't necessarily the case with all introverts.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've ran into many an extrovert that claimed to be introverted. They (the ones mentioned not the entire group) seem to want to project an image of introversion because they associate it with depth and humility or something, when that isn't necessarily the case with all introverts.

Yes :yes:

I think that may be part of the case here also. I think he sees extroverts as loud, attention-whoring, social butterflies.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've seen several people test intuitive who are obviously sensing. I think they are sometimes confused by questions such as "Do you prefer search for a new solution or keep with what you know?". They answer "new solution" because they feel it means they are being "free-spirited" or "going against the grain". Despite the fact the whole anti-conformist craze has become so popular that not conforming is in all actuality conforming to the social norm. But that is a totally different theme ^^.

On second thought this was totally off topic... but I felt the need to get it off my chest :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen several people test intuitive who are obviously sensing. I think they are sometimes confused by questions such as "Do you prefer search for a new solution or keep with what you know?". They answer "new solution" because they feel it means they are being "free-spirited" or "going against the grain". Despite the fact the whole anti-conformist craze has become so popular that not conforming is in all actuality conforming to the social norm. But that is a totally different theme ^^.

On second thought this was totally off topic... but I felt the need to get it off my chest :D

It's related. The questions can be very open to interpretation on these tests. Vague questions can cause a person to be typed wrong, IMO.

Also, it can be a matter of how a person sees himself vs. how he really is, or what he admires/would like to be vs. what he really is.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Also, it can be a matter of how a person sees himself vs. how he really is, or what he admires/would like to be vs. what he really is.

Well yeah I completely agree, the problem arises when people start answering questions how they want to answer them, not necessarily how they should be answering them.

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I frequently tested as INTP but I believe that's because I consciously wanted to be more like a P. But after carefully reading the differences between the P & J realized I'm def a J.

sculpting

when first learning about MBTI, I took the test and was an ENTP. Then my two friends took the test and one was an ENTP and an INTJ.

I retook the test and came out an ENFP-which the ENTP laughed about and said totally fit.

Then My INTJ took the test and came out an INFP-which she swears she is to this day. This is hysterical as she is the most INTJish INTJ I have ever seen.

Once you understand the test, i think it becomes easier to test to be whatever you want to be or think you should be.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
People create images of themselves and then follow it.
Until they lose themselves.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Really, I'd have to say I'm most attracted to ENTP, which is but 1 letter away. But my MASSIVE I score probably tells me that this idea doesn't affect me.

Besides, anyone would say that i'm an NTP.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting theory. It may have some credence, as in college I scored as several types that I tended to get along with really easily.

It's easy to answer the questions as how you would like to view yourself, rather than how you are. Makes sense that you'd be drawn to people that exhibit those characteristics.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's easy to answer the questions as how you would like to view yourself, rather than how you are. Makes sense that you'd be drawn to people that exhibit those characteristics.

i think this is especially true of NFs and SJs, but this is just based on my experiences with a handful of people.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I test INFP when I feel insecure coz that's the image I want to project at that time. I prefer the INFP profile over the ENFP one. It's a projection of how I'd ideally want myself to be, and also something I've been subconsciously working towards being for many years. My E/I therefore isn't that far apart.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I am feeling more intense than I normally am, stressed in some way, or angry I test ESTJ or ENTJ.

As for testing normally I get INTP or INTJ, sometimes ENTJ. I think this is due to crappy wording and crappy tests overall.

Also, why the heck is this in the NF section?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think this is especially true of NFs and SJs, but this is just based on my experiences with a handful of people.

Agreed on NFs, especially those NFPs that can never seem to identify their type. (It's one of their defining features!) :D

I test INFP when I feel insecure coz that's the image I want to project at that time. I prefer the INFP profile over the ENFP one. It's a projection of how I'd ideally want myself to be, and also something I've been subconsciously working towards being for many years. My E/I therefore isn't that far apart.

Funny - for the longest time I always envied those emotive and charming ENFPs. Heh. I scored as ENFP at one time.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
When I am feeling more intense than I normally am, stressed in some way, or angry I test ESTJ or ENTJ.

As for testing normally I get INTP or INTJ, sometimes ENTJ. I think this is due to crappy wording and crappy tests overall.

Also, why the heck is this in the NF section?

Well this didn't start out a conversation about NTs... They just managed to warp it into an NT session session :dry:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny - for the longest time I always envied those emotive and charming ENFPs. Heh. I scored as ENFP at one time.

:blush: And I always envied that little halo you guys have around your heads, and your ability to shut the F*** up ;)

Isn't there like a way to be an NFP hybrid? :wubbie:

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I've wresteled with this many times. Will all the talk of how easily it is to mistype yourself between S/N, its a coin flip. I tend to think of myself more as an INTP because as I read their general profile it fits me better than ISTP (even though ISTP is a pretty damn close description)