• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How to DO instead of THINKING

LavaLucy

MBTI Type
infj
If it's things that you are somewhat afraid of doing what I would do is break the activity (activty? Goal?) down into smaller steps and try not to think about all the parts or all the effort it will need at once.
Like applying for jobs I will try not to think about each job so hard. I mean the chances of even getting an interview are slim so I would do better not to think so hard about every detail of a working day at my mythical place of employment.
Not sure if that's the sort of thing .. but what helps me is someone over my shoulder saying take it slower, just try the first step, don't think so far in the future because it's usually way different from how you picture it. And not too be too hard on yourself. Good luck with what you want to accomplish!

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do things to give yourself something to think about.
Thinking isn't bad, so don't try to turn it off. If you do things to fuel your thought, you'll be more motivated to do them.

Frank

I know it is a little cliche but setting small, easy to accomplish goals helps build confidence and gives you the momentum you need to keep moving forward.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like that advise, Coeur. Lately I've been telling myself, "Ok, if you don't go out today you won't get research material of real life in order to write that novel," or something, and it sort of works. I've always tried waking up earlier in the morning when there's not as many people out and about, so I can get all those errands I usually procrastinate done.

I've been a hermit for so long... I'm working on it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni is the president ordering the strike. Fe has one of the keys, and Ti has the other. Unless they both turn their key for the Se launch, nothing happens.

This is a great analogy. I love this analogy.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think you can trust your own internal rhythms too to take you to the places you need to go. Yes, we fall into unconstructive patterns of thought, but we do also need some time of intense activity then withdrawal and processing, then activity again, then retreat again.

I don't know if this is type-specific, but I do believe it's a healthy, natural process, like seasons. And being self-accepting of your emotions. Sadness/depression aren't something to be fought off always - sometimes they can result in insights, and, more importantly, they are just another piece of our experience, just like joy and pleasure.

So, there is some ebb and flow we can just allow. It's okay to not be at the top of your game always (but so hard to really, truly believe that!).

kccrush

MBTI Type
INFJ
In my experience, it IS possible to extend these interludes with your "action-oriented" self. For me it came down to finding something that I was really passionate about and focusing on that. In my case it became concerts and tennis. Both of these things end up getting me out of my head for at least the period that I'm enjoying them. Not to say I don't overthink and overanalyze. There's no overcoming that. But there is a bit more balance by fitting in more action activities that I've found have come to mean a great deal to me.

Also, even if you reverted to your thinking self and it's getting you down, don't think you can't change. You should choose just one area where you think you'd like to explore more and focus on doing more activities that will allow you to get to know that new something. I think that it's all about neurons, making new brain maps, engaging new parts of your brain. Once you do it and like it, you'll want to keep going back. Good luck :)

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry, I got my P, and my P tells me to procrastinate.

34756_408669587650_606577650_4985736_4030573_n.jpg

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like exercise, podcasts, and rock climbing... they keep my mind out of places it shouldn't go.

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really have any advice about this, but more like a personal situation...

I was working on an animation last night that was really frustrating me. It wasn't coming out quite right even though I was working on it for a long time. Something about the back legs just wasn't working.

So, I get up this morning and think, "Okay, what went wrong here; what can I do to improve this situation?" And I go on, and come up with this: "Maybe what I need to do is make the hooves more of a consistent shape, changing due to the angle and in position due to the height of the legs. Also, slightly in size due to the foreshortening. Speaking of foreshortening, I think I need to really exaggerate it. I don't have a lot going on, and the legs are really short, so it looks awkward when they are about the same length, even foreshortened."

I sit all day and think about this off and on. It is now 7:27 and I have not gotten a thing done. Here I am always telling people to "do, do, do"... when am I going to "do"!?

In short, I definitely feel where you're coming from on this issue...