• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: How do you dress? General tidyness?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

I dress like a cartoon character. Tank top and boxers, over that: t-shirt and cargo shorts, with sneakers of some sort and white socks.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

My clothing usually looks like I just woke up or been working all day. Usually these things have actually occured, so the dress is accurate to the lifestyle, but no I don't generally look tidy at all. I don't iron my clothing like.. hardly ever.

Do you have a favorite shirt or other article of clothing?

Yes. Currently, my favorite shorts are my camo fades, and my favorite shirts are my angels and airwaves shirt and my burton shirt.

Do you brush your hair? How meticulous are you with it?

Every morning. No. I brush it for tangles, if it's good, it goes into a ponytail.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

Very tidy. I clean everyday, dust every 10-14 days, vacuum the same day I dust, everything has a place, and every place is arranged in an organized manner. I do distinguish between disorganized and unsanitary. If nothing else, I keep my area sanitary... but I am usually good about organizing as well, minus my desk which ends up usually my catch-all surface. I clean it off every 2-3 days.

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I feel better when it's clean. My home areas don't feel inviting or stimulating or relaxing if they are dirty and unkempt. Both practicality, matters of duty and feelings of responsibility for the places I claim ownership of.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

I got clothes, lots and lots of clothes. My personal aesthetic = personal expression. I generally have certain combinations of clothes I keep going back to as opposed to mixing and matching a lot. Some combinations just work better than others and well, it's just easier to dress that way when you know what your go-to outfits are.

I have eclectic tastes? In general I'm not afraid of being noticed, I can be down right flashy, I like to have fun with my outfits, and I like accessories and bright colors and patterns. I am not a minimalist.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

I do NOT like to look sloppy or messy (or cheap). However, I hate ironing and am not very good at it and I VERY rarely iron. I bought one of those hand held steamers as an ironing alternative.

In theory all my clothes are arranged in ways that make sense. There is a place in my closet for everything.

I don't know if that's tertiary Te but I love organizing my stuff...is that sick? I also love looking at my stuff. I just plain really like my stuff! So I like organizing my things in a way they can be easily found, used, and admired.

Even when I was living off a retail salesperson's salary I ordered jewelry organizers from ebay (the kind jewelry stores use for displays) and arranged all my jewelry. People commented that my room (or just parts of it) looked like a retail store.

I am NOT consistent about putting things back though. So it is ALWAYS an ongoing battle against mess.

Yes! With all my clothes I tend to stick to a few articles over and over. This was moreso when I was heavier (because there were so few clothes that I thought looked good on me) but even now. I tend to only buy clothes if I really love the item though - the more I love something the more I wear it.

:thelook:

I have short hair. It's easy to manage. That's all I'll say about that.

I have a flat iron and a curling iron and a blow dryer - all gadgety 'high-quality' items. I also have a ginormous round bristle boar brush for blow outs. But since I cut my hair, not much use for it.

I also like wearing wigs. Does that count for anything?

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general?

It's either very tidy or a total mess.

Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others?

The public areas for sure! At least, when I'm expecting company. :D

Why do you think that might be?
I like to be presentable.

Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

YES. Especially after living with so many roommates in so many different places. I cut more slack for 'messy' but 'dirty' is just gross.

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I live alone. When I clean it's because I really need my space to be clean and neat and bright for my own peace of mind. Chaotic/dirty environment is bad mojo. I will also go into a cleaning frenzy sometimes if I have company coming over.

Otherwise, you can't guilt me into cleaning. My roommates tried in my last messy group house. Didn't work.

I slip up and things get messy, and then I go nuts cleaning eventually.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have random clothes, probably 12 shirts and 6 pairs of shorts and about 6 pairs of pants I wear (depending on the season). I really don't care about what goes with what, since every shirt I have is either black, gray, or blue. I also have some random collared shirts (red and purple) that I prefer to wear with some sort of denim so I don't look like a ray of sunlight. But yeah, I generally don't care.

I've never ironed my clothing in my life, my pants are just wadded up in my clean laundry basket and my shirts are hung up (since I hang my shirts up to dry, otherwise they'd be wadded up).

I like my band shirts.

I brush my hair when I get out of the shower, then I leave it for the rest of the day (unless it gets messed up and I notice this).

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

My place of residence isn't very tidy, but I don't enjoy it being filthy or dirty.

It's a matter of how I feel about it. If it doesn't bother me I don't really care. The only thing that I really constantly make sure is done is that the dishes are cleaned and trash is taken care of, because if that isn't done it's just disgusting to me.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

I mostly wear denim skinny jeans with a vest in winter, in the summer is when my wardrobe explodes into action, and then I couldn't pin down one set look. I have quite a few outfits since I like shopping lol and lose passion for outfits after one wear, so I have some basic stuff that I mix and match for new looks too. They would be the items of clothing I find work best for me.

Ie, I love a certain vest from a certain shop, so I bought one in every colour.

I have accessories for all my outfits too. I'm also building a substantial collection of shoes, which is only a recent obsession.

I barely use my iron, I loathe and detest ironing lol I avoid it unless forced to because I have to appear tidier for something, or I was stupid enough to buy an outfit the requires it.

Actually I have some lovely blouses and dresses upstairs that I could wear again, if I would just iron them. :blush:

However like CzeCze I love displaying my clothes nicely, so at least once a week I can be found in my room setting it all back up again, it's my Te in action I'm sure, I just love organising my clothes, making it all look pretty, so that when I relax at night in my room I can appreciate the view.

I do throw things on the floor alot though, so just before I tidy there are usually piles of discarded clothes, books, puzzle books, sewing, notepads etc on the floor. :smile:

Currently my favourite item of clothing would be a really cute denim mini skirt I bought a couple of weeks ago, and my plain white button vest I wear with it.

I brush my hair ONLY when I'm washing it because it's very curly, and get's tangled alot. My hair always looks like I just woke up anyway. I haven't done anything fancy with my hair for a couple of years now I think, I just don't want to risk damage to it.

So wash, brush, scrunch and go.

Before I had kids, actually before my brood became 3, I had a pretty tidy house. I have always liked organising my spaces, putting my books and CD's in a systematic order of some type, just having it all look neat was a relaxing task I looked forward to doing on my "alone" days.

Now my house isn't dirty, but it is often messy, I just can't be bothered fighting the constant battle of messy kids and an 18yr old enfp brother who is a slob.

I also hate my Te rampaging days that turn me into a monster when I'm determined to wage war with the mess again, the children scatter in terror and my brother cowers in the corner :rofl1: not a very pretty sight.

If they are out when I go into Te mode I relax again and find it soothing, but if they are around when I need to tidy up it really messes with my mojo.

It's never out of a sense of duty, but because it makes me feel content to see it tidy, and because I desire to it to be clean. It's practical, it makes my life easier which means more time spent lost in my fantasy lands I like to make up all the time. If it's messy, I feel it dragging on me, not because of duty, but because it's making me quite unhappy just looking at it.

If it looks chaotic, I feel chaotic.

sculpting

I am an utter disaster. I would likely not wear pants to work unless it was some sort of mandated rule.

I like pretty things, but am really confused when someone tells me you look nice today.

I can get ready for work in three minutes.

My favorite clothing item right now is this brown scarf/shawl thing. When I wrap it around me I feel like I can sort of snuggle away in it.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations? I wear basic, solid colors, and not a lot of patterns. I usually throw a more funky accessory on top of plain clothes. I would probably have a lot of clothes if I had more time/money to pay attention to them. I tend to dress according to my mood. I don't care a whole lot about being "in fashion," but I don't dress like I belong in another era, either.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere? I don't like to look like a slob, so I try to be tidy, but in all honesty, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't. I only iron my clothes if they desperately need to be ironed. If I can get away with wearing something not ironed, I will.

Do you have a favorite shirt or other article of clothing? Yeah, I've always been attached to at least one item of clothing in my wardrobe.

-------
Under the category of general tidyness:
Do you brush your hair? How meticulous are you with it? If it's Saturday morning and I'm wandering around the house, the first thing I do is not brush my hair. But I don't usually go out with messy hair. I brush it and make sure it looks good, but I don't go overboard with caring.

Keeping my residence tidy is a constant struggle for me. I keep the bathroom and kitchen cleaner than other areas, because those messes tend to get nasty. I don't like actual dirtiness (as opposed to untidiness.)

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality? Sometimes if things get too sloppy, I get stressed out and go on a cleaning rampage. Normally, though, when I clean up it's because I feel guilty about my messiness.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, this is a lot of questions!!

On dress, specifically:

I'd say I have mostly a 'classic' style - simple, mostly solids, but I tend to go for tighter fits, and a more sleek look.

I think I appear quite 'proper' (so I've been told ;)). However, I've never ironed a thing in my life, so I don't particularly care if things are wrinkled. (that may be a moot point, though, as the fabrics I wear don't tend to do that anyway)

I think I like wearing a nice pair of dark jeans with a tank top or camisole the most. And if it's cooler, a little cardigan or jacket over it.

-------

Uh...yes? Maybe this question only pertains to guys, haha. ;)

I don't know that I'm meticulous, as I never use hairspray and don't use a curling iron anymore.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be?

My residence is very tidy, but I don't go for the minimalist look -- more of a cozy look, so many might find it a little cramped, even though there's a place for everything. I hate a mess and clutter everywhere...I want a more peaceful environment, which is why I like to keep it clean.

So, for me, I desire it to be tidy...it has nothing to do with guilt or 'duty'. It's just the way I like it.

The only places that I tend to allow to turn into disaster areas, where I tend to lose/misplace things, are inside my desk, or in other little cabinets, and my closets in the past have become giant messes where I just toss things I don't know what I want to do with. But over the past few yrs I've tried to nix that habit and have also gotten rid of a lot of crap, so I don't forsee that happening much anymore.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool

I usually go with what feels good. I have a few basics I mix with others more than some, and usually don't go with the same combination again unless I find it especially good. I like creating / finding new interesting and surprising combinations.

Tidyness is important. Uhm, I don't iron. I have difficulties keeping a clean closet, so I have to admit most of my clothes just lie around on free space (but they have a specific order and I do not mix unclean clothes with clean ones).

A basic black jacket. Goes with everything and can give the exact kind of an edge I want to whatever I'm wearing

-------

Yea. Have to, it's long

It's a ritual of sort. I mess, then clean.

Hmm. It more like brings clarity and peace.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like dresses because I can just slip one over my head and go. I wear pants and skirts if they're black. I don't care for prints in general but I'll wear a print top sometimes. I keep things in the same color palette so I don't have to worry about matching. Everything goes with everything else.

I take my clothes off the second I walk in the house, and throw them into the hamper. I'm slow sometimes putting them away. I'm not particular about how they're folded. I only have a couple of things that need to be ironed, and they don't get worn as often as the things that don't. If something needs to be ironed, I will iron it or I won't wear it -- I won't wear things wrinkled. But I try to avoid ironing.

Yes. I have a gray cotton jersey blouse that has about five rings of sequins around the neck. I love it because it's casual and dressy at the same time. And I love my purple shrug.
-------
I go for whatever is least maintenance. I don't like it in my face. It's either short or restrained somehow.

I do distinguish between messy and dirty -- dirty is potentially bad for your health. Messy is inevitable for me. I just don't pay attention to what I'm doing in the house. I'm not mentally present when I'm at home by myself. I'll go make something to eat and then turn around and realize the kitchen is dirty, and I have virtually no memory of being in there, because I was thinking about something else.

Practicality, and I do feel better when I'm in clean and reasonably orderly surroundings. I'm bad at maintenance, though. I let stuff pile up and then have to spend a day cleaning and sorting. I go through stages with this. I have called in to work because I couldn't find my shoes, and I live in less than 600 square feet. If something's heavy on my mind, I don't notice where I leave things or where I put things. If nothing is bothering me, I'm reasonably neat.

sgman

MBTI Type
INFP
This is the type of topic everyone loves to reply to. :D

My day-to-day is just a t-shirt, jeans and a pair of chucks or similar shoes. I have the occasional polo, and I'm about to begin adding some sports shirts, cool t-shirts, etc. The problem, I think, with dressing fashionably is you have to go all the way. If you wear a fashionable sports shirt, for instance, but your pants, shoes, hairstyle, aren't up to par, you risk looking pretentious.

I try my best to appear out-of-bed. Polished casual, as opposed to being actually out-of-bed.

Mainly Puma Ferrari hoodies. They're always stylish and fairly form-fitting. I wear them just for the style, but the ferrari logo on the sleeve is a plus. :D

No, I don't need to, I have fine and straight hair. It also grows extremely fast, and the longer it gets, the more difficult it is to manage. Right now, I use a bit of ocean spritz right after showering to rough it up a little, emphasize curls. Then after it dries (I prefer air-dry; my hair seems to fall out when I blow dry), I use some Sebastian Crude Clay - a rough, styling product to create artificial waves. When my hair gets really long, I use a little hairspray to keep the style in place.

Yes, I distinguish between messy and dirty. Though I don't really consider clothes on the ground to be dirty. :D I tend to be good with that though, but when it comes to books, papers, etc. its all over the place.

Definitely not duty. Not guilty either. I just occasionally get satisfaction from organizing. Sometimes when I've been sitting there being lazy for a long time, I use cleaning as a centering activity; eliminating clutter and literally "letting go" of all the old, useless crap. I love taking old to-do lists, and ripping them up into little pieces. I have a tendency to hoard.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm not going to answer this in any orderly way.

I dress to make myself feel good. I like to look attractive. Things that aren't flattering get pitched. Ironing is only done when necessary. I do my hair and wear makeup every day. Soon it will be fall and the high heel boots will be back outta the closet. Yeah! I have a bunch of solids and classic pieces that I revolve the colours / fashion of the week around. An effective dressing strategy.

I tend to be messy but like things to be tidy. It's a tug of war in that arena. I love sgman's post above about ripping old to-do lists into pieces. I find that very satisfying as well!