• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Which type is good at guessing type?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
There is a woman in my Bible study whose type I have been trying to figure out.
She did the weirdest thing last year when she had a group of us all over at her house.
Her husband had a fire going in the fireplace and it needed attention.
I was going to take care of it since my husband has taught me how, and she had said she wasn't good at it, but she beat me to it.
I knew she had done something because she twirled around and said something about the fire.
I looked and I almost busted out laughing out loud!
There were 3 large logs 75% burned, and sitting on top of them was one itty bitty skinny piece of kindling!
She had tossed a piece of kindling on top of the fire!

I was wondering if an INTP would ever do that because I'm starting to suspect that's what she is.
She asks a lot of questions,
she uses some bis words,
she loves to cook complicated things like Beef Bourguignon (which by the way still makes my mouth water when I think about it).
She actually sewed a wedding dress for her daughter,
she says she is technologically challenged.

Everything sounds like ISTJ to me until I think about the stick on top of the fire.
Surely ISTJs know how to stoke a fire!?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think that's too weak a hint to suggest any one type, but her self-diagnosis as technologically challenged might be true.

Could we find the common denominator with "technical skills", and perhaps find the persons tertiary function? Here's my improvised list how to spot a technologically skilled/challenged person..
-can/can't attach a digital set-top box on tv
-can/can't attach wooden legs to a bed
-uses understandable technical terms/the most crazily wrong technical terms imaginable
-suggests some of the most probable/improbable reasons for technical failure
all of them seem to be doable with some combination of prior knowledge on the exact subject, general knowledge, S, N and T.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
She could be an NF of some sort. From my NT perspective NF's seem to be very adept at some times and at others times totally incompetant. And I can't seem to distinguish when the NF is going to excel and when they are going to fail. From personal experience I have trouble separating how N and T work together, so sometimes a task I think only a thinker can do can also be done well by an NF. Then at other times the NF will do something else that is clearly foolish and I'll say, "What are you doing? Stop and think".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not enough information. :)

But it would be unlike an INTP (unless she knew nothing about fires whatsoever) to make such a dumb mistake. Unless, of course, there was no other firewood around and she was just improvising and knew it was kindling but didn't care.

(That is why I say there is not enough information to clarify here.)

I've seen what Laser has said about NFs. INTPs have their own pitfalls, but I know many NFs who are so on the money with how something works (i.e., the T aspect of a process)... and then suddenly they will turn around and do something silly in another situation that makes no sense and my jaw will drop.

But still, there is no smoking gun here... just a smoking piece of kindling. ;)

ygolo

My termites win
Everything sounds like ISTJ to me until I think about the stick on top of the fire.
Surely ISTJs know how to stoke a fire!?

You probably just found an ISTJ who didn't know how to stoke the fire (that time). If everything else about her lead you to believe she was an ISTJ, I see no reason in the piece of kindling to change that opinion.

EDIT:Why is this posted under The NF Idyllic? Seems leading.

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think that's too weak a hint to suggest any one type, but her self-diagnosis as technologically challenged might be true.
She has said it a few times, usually in the context of not knowing much about her computer, except how to Google for recipes and send email.

She could be an NF of some sort. From my NT perspective NF's seem to be very adept at some times and at others times totally incompetent. And I can't seem to distinguish when the NF is going to excel and when they are going to fail. From personal experience I have trouble separating how N and T work together, so sometimes a task I think only a thinker can do can also be done well by an NF. Then at other times the NF will do something else that is clearly foolish and I'll say, "What are you doing? Stop and think".
Hmmm... she has been a puzzle to me. I suppose I could just come right out and ask her some questions.

Not enough information. :)

But it would be unlike an INTP (unless she knew nothing about fires whatsoever) to make such a dumb mistake. Unless, of course, there was no other firewood around and she was just improvising and knew it was kindling but didn't care.

(That is why I say there is not enough information to clarify here.)...
Hi Jennifer, yes, there was other firewood around.

You probably just found an ISTJ who didn't know how to stoke the fire (that time). If everything else about her lead you to believe she was an ISTJ, I see no reason in the piece of kindling to change that opinion.
Maybe. I will have to get to know her better I guess.

EDIT:Why is this posted under The NF Idyllic? Seems leading.
Because I thought the NFs might be best equipped to tell her type over the internet.

So apparently, I don't know enough yet.
Thanks though, everyone, for your help.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She has said it a few times, usually in the context of not knowing much about her computer, except how to Google for recipes and send email.

This would be a surprising thing for an NT to admit. (They usually are keen on exploring their computer and figure out things on their own, simply as part of gaining knowledge and competence over it.)

But the other archetypes still seem plausible.